Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmcdowell_gw

Springtails? Worms? need help with my Meyer Lemon Tree

tmcdowell
9 years ago

Hello, i am fairly new to growing anything. I recently got interested in growing so i bought a 3-4 year old Meyer lemon tree back in may, and so far my experience has been great. I take care of this tree like it was a child. I fertilize it and water it on strict schedules and its already flowered and now its producing lemons. Its been getting too cold here in New Jersey so it was time to bring it inside. I noticed though on the first watering inside that not only did it look like earthworms had drained out of the bottom mostly very thin some 2-3 inches long but i notice many little bugs on the surface of my soil after watering as well. I attached the best photo i could and here is a link to some others http://postimg.org/gallery/f79axvpc/
I sprayed my plant down with Natria by Bayer to try and kill of anything before i brought it inside but these seemed to survive. I am guessing they are springtails as they jump and i don't see anything flying by my plant (rule out gnats). I know these are not supposed to be bad for the plant but i can't help disliking there existence in my house. As for the worms they are not supposed to be bad unless they disrupt root growth but how am i supposed to know if they are doing that? I might be over reacting but i just want to make sure i don't mess anything up on my first winter with my Meyer. Should i try and reduce the population of these bugs if they are springtails? I was thinking of buying some Growstone to at least cover the soil top but not sure if that would be harmful or not. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals