Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamstrees

Citrus Survey

tamstrees
18 years ago

Survey

Im always curious about what other people are doing and how theyÂre doing it. If you can please take the survey below.

1: What types of citrus trees are you growing and their size now?

2: How do you grow them? In the ground or in containers? In a greenhouse, indoors, out with or without supplemental lighting? If container grown what type of soil mix are you using?

3: What type of fertilizer do you use and why? Have you tired other types and found one that has proven to be more effective?

4: What about pest control? What type do you use and why?

5: Where did you buy your citrus trees? Please also supply the link if it was mail order and which state, please. Have you had any negative experiences in buying trees?

6: What were some of challenges you faced growing your citrus trees? How did you, if you did, correct the problem?

7: Why was citrus a choice for you to grow? Was it the look of the tree or did you just like that type of fruit?

8: What other types of fruit trees do you grow and why?

9: Other then this forum what other venues or clubs have you enlisted for support?

10: Were there any books you found especially helpful in growing citrus?

11: Out of all your citrus trees which one do you love the most and why?

12: What do you do with your harvest? Eat it, cook with it, and share it?

13: Does your family share your hobby of growing citrus trees?

Thanks,

Tam

Comments (43)

• BabyBlue11371
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1:

2Miewa Kumquat, one 2'3" (parent plant) second 1'(grafted from tree# 1).

2Clementine seedlings, one 11"(5 mo old) second 3"(1 mo old)

2Lemon seedlings, one 7", second 4" (both 5 mo old)

2Tangerine Seedlings, One 6" second 4" (both 5 mo old)

1Tangelo seedling 7" (5 mo old)

1Nagami Kumquat seedling 4" (5 mo old)

various root stock ranging from seeds to almost 1' tall..

I will be potting seedlings up with in next week they are all in 4"clay pots and I have found most have their roots peaking out the one hole in the bottom..

2: container.. inside... south window. no light supplement *not sure I'll need it* is a very sunny window. soil mix... potting soil, peat, sand, cactus mix, orchid mix, and perilite. just found some pine bark will add to my potting mix box and use when I pot up my seedlings.

3: Miracle grow Azalea/ rhod food.. only thing I could find local that was suggested in here..

4: pest control.. well.. I've had ants.. put ant bait traps out side the door they were coming in through.. they didn't last long.. aside from that haven't had any bug problems.. *knock on wood* I keep pest fly strips in the window where the trees are any thing flying around don't last long. I do have stuff just incase.. but haven't needed to use it.. umm.. fruit and veggie bug spray. If I ever have to use it I'll let ya know what it is and how well it works..

5: Little roadside nursery around New Orleans Louisiana. couldn't tell ya the name of the nursery.. then I bought seeds from seedrack.com waste of time and $ not one seed came up.. and since I was having 90% success with the seeds I got from fruit was not me.. then there is the e-bay incident.. ok.. so I got my money back.. and got to keep the root stock.. *which I have created Nola with* it still left a bad taste in my mouth for ordering stuff I can't see and smell touch etc.. most of my plants I own chose me.. one way or another.. they just yell at me here I am take me home.. My hubby can't understand how I can go see bunches of same plants and walk away with out one.. and find "same thing" else where and say.. "that is the one.."

6: Not having a clue what I was doing TG I found this forum!! I did every thing wrong from the word go. I treated my first tree like any other house plant I've brought home.. He is a strong tree and I think he will survive my short comings..

7: I can honestly say I didn't pick the plant the plant picked me.. I just got lucky ;o) Not sure where to go from here.. I've enjoyed eating fruit.. and if I like the taste of the fruit I plant the seed.. if I don't.. it goes to trash..

8: plum, pecan, black walnut, mulberry, do grape vines count? (outside trees came with the house) planning on peach and cherry next year. Inside. Avocado, Pineapple. Just fun experiments since starting the citrus. AKA free seeds from fruit have enjoyed with kids..

9: I lurk now and then in the yahoo forum some times checking the chat room but no one ever there.

10: No. most I've read in books about citrus house plants is inaccurate information. the books I have are purely house plant and flower garden books though. I've been relying solely on WWW for citrus 411..

11: George would have to be it.. with Nola a close second.. George because he started my obsession.. Nola for being my first successful grafting. both kumquats.

12: only harvest was few days after bringing George home. we got one a each. As for out side stuff.. what the neighbor kids and squirrels don't get we harvest and eat.. I make a mean pecan pie!!!

13: Yes my kids helped me with the seedlings and have been assistants for grafting and have helped care and help me with measuring and monitoring. Hubby helps with heavy lifting.

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

1: Many types (Meyer Lemon, Satsuma, Kaffir Lime, Calamondin, Buddha's Hand, Meiwa/Nagami Kumquat, Limequat, Australian Finger Lime, and many others.) Sizes range from 1-gallon to 25-gallon.

2: All grown in containers in various spots within my landscape. All will remain outdoors this winter, protected if need be.

3: Lutz 8-4-8 1-year release, because it was designed for citrus. I also use Scotts Sierra Blend 18-7-11 (3-month) on some trees. And I occasionally use Scotts Acid Special (water soluble). All of these are ideal for citrus.

4: Integrated Pest Management. I only use chemicals when necessary. When I do, it's usually bifenthrin. Otherwise, I use Orange Guard, or its equivalent.

5: I bought some trees at Acorn Springs Farms. I grafted or rooted others myself.

6: Challenges mostly surround particular varieties, such as Calamondin and Key Lime. It's definitely something I'm doing wrong (and not the trees themselves). Want to come point out my woes with these varieties? I'll brew the coffee.

7: I grow citrus because it's rewarding in several ways: foliage, blooms, fruit and overall landscape value. I feel the same way about roses.

8: I have three pecan trees -- came with the house -- I keep them to use the wood in my custom-made smoker. I'll be brining and slow-smoking a brisket in the next few weeks. Ya'll are all invited. (Even Bob.) I also grow a couple of poms (mostly for the shape and blooms) and figs. Next spring, I'm considering a garden. The oriental eggplant at the stores this year was terrible. So I'll have to grow my own.

9: Too many to mention.. But mostly professional organizations.

10: Compendium of Citrus Disease and Biology of Citrus. I also like Lance Walheim's "Citrus", but it is more for the novice.

11: Calamondin -- this was the first citrus I grew as a hobbyist. It also happens to be one of my biggest challenges.

12: I throw calamondins at dogs and squirrels. I juice and freeze Meyer Lemon juice. My son is the kumquat lover. I use Kaffir Lime leaves in my cooking. Otherwise, most of these are eaten out of hand by us/visitors. I occasionally grab a few limes, etc. for use in a recipe.

13: They enjoy the trees. I am trying to develop an interest with my children.

• tamstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alter what exactly is ther problem you're having with Key Lime and Calamondin?

Also, good luck on growing your garden. I love to grow my own produce and find it truly rewarding. In 2006 you'll definately see me diving in with larger crops, canning and preserving. I think a lot of people are getting sick of what they are seeing at the supermarket. Nothing beats fresh produce. Have you notice how the big food companies are now jumping on the organic band wagon? There is talk of the goverment being pushed to change the standards. Hopefully this won't happen.

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

(1)Nagami Kumquat (dwarf)3'
    Owari Satsuma Mandarin (dwarf)4'
    Honey Murcott Tangerine (dwarf) 4'
    Lisbon Lemon 5'
    Meyer Lemon 5'
    Bearess Lime 5'
    Rio Red Grapefruit (dwarf) 4'
    Cara cara Orange (dwarf) 3'
    Meiwa Kumquat (dwarf) 4'

(2)all container grown/greenhouse/at times supplement lightening
    (3)Osmacote/Whitney Farms Citrus & Vine food (4) times ayr.
    (4)for pest control..I've never had many pests,I spray down with water.
    (5)Your to expensive! I buy all my citrus from FOUR WINDS,California
    (6)I love watching plants grow!My favorite is seeing the tiny fruit!
    (7)I love the smell of citrus blooms.I love lemons & limes
    (8)types of fruit tree's that I have:
    yellow egg plum
    Italian plum
    Macantosh Apple
    Gravenstein Apple
    Buckley Giant Apple
    Grannysmith apple
    Mutsu Apple
    Grapes,Concord.White Champayne
    (9)Neighbors/Senior Center
    (10)many citrus books,the Wonderful people on this forum
    (11)I love them all.I also play classical music for them.
    (12)I enjoy the fruits of my labor,cook with them,eat them,give to neighbors and friends& family.This my gift of friendship and love.
    (13)No one tends my citrus but me! But they can go out an look.Or even pull up a chair and spend time listening to music and smelling the fragrance when in bloom.My 14 month old grandson loves to go out there and spend time with his Grammy and I teach him. He has his own citrus..I gave him the Nagami Kumquat:)He has his little shovel and moves the dirt around & kisses the Kumquat when he leaves.***Suzanne

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

Tamara - Truthfully, I don't know. Right now, they all look fine. But when my gardening metal is tested--in bad weather, or less than desirable conditions--these varieties are usually the first to go south. If I can figure out the camera thing, I'll send you some photos.

The organic standards are different in every state. The feds have their own version. But you are right in that nothing will taste as good as a vegetable/fruit grown in your own garden. The only exceptions, in my opinion, are onions, garlic and potatoes.

• tamstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's interesting. I honestly did not know each state set their own standards. I thought it was all part of the federal USDA.

• FoFa
    18 years ago

1: Meiwa Kumquat 2 feet, Tangerine 2.5 feet, Sunkuat 1.5 feet, Meyer Lemon 2 feet
    2: In ground
    3: Citrus tree fertilizer, shake bottle
    4: No problems as of yet, OK my dog pulled a sunkuat off, I shook my finger and used a stern voice
    5: Loews, eBay, so far so good
    6: Dry hot months. used a weed screen around the trunks with cypress mulch and frequent watering.
    7: I like to eat citrus, I live in a zone that I can grow them (8) with proper selection.
    8: Peach, Fig, Loquat, Serviceberry and Goumi (OK I have a couple Lychee trees about 6 inchs tall, but donot expect them to make it through the winter).
    9: Google searches
    10: Nope
    11: Sunkuat, good tasting, prolific, easy to grow
    12: Eat it
    13: no

• schiang68
    18 years ago

1: 3 Meyer lemons (3' grafted, 1.5' grafted, 4' not grafted), 1 Nagami kumquat (3' grafted), 1 calamondin (2' grafted)

2: All in pots in CHCs, and they never go outside. I'm planning to provide some minimal supplemental lighting from fluorescents this winter, but I've never tried that before.

3: I have used Lutz tablets, Osmocote, Miracid, and fish/seaweed emulsion. I haven't noticed that any one is better than the others, but I've also never done anything resembling a controlled experiment. I also use a small amount of garden iron.

4: Soapy water and occasionally neem oil or 91% isopropyl alcohol (the latter kills fungus gnats gratifyingly quickly). I very much want to avoid having nasty chemicals in the house.

5: One Meyer and the Nagami from Acorn Springs (acornsprings.com, TX), one calamondin from Four Winds (fourwindsgrowers.com, CA), one Meyer from White Flower Farm (whiteflowerfarm.com, CT), one Meyer from a local nursey (MA). The only negative experience I had was with White Flower, which sent me a small spindly tree that was infested with scale.

6: Primary problems were establishing a watering schedule and optimizing the potting medium (related to watering).

7: Just liked the idea of growing containerized citrus and decided to try it.

8: No other fruit trees at this time.

9: None

10: Not really.

11: No favorites.

12: I just got the trees last year and am still waiting to harvest my first crop. I currently have 7 pretty large lemons that are still green, a bunch of calamondin fruit at different stages, and no kumquats.

13: My parents have some containerized citrus trees that are at least 20 years old.

• softmentor
    18 years ago

I dare say this will set an new record for how long a thread gets! Here goes.

the trees from 2002 are now mostly 6 foot tall or more, older trees are taller yet.

2 Gold Nugget 2002 Youngs (Wholesale only)
    Sidi Aissa Clemintine 2002 Youngs
    36 Daisey 2001 Youngs
    3 Temple Orange 2002 Youngs
    2 Fukumoto Early Navel 2002 TreeSource (Wholesale only)
    Thompson Improved early navl 2002 Youngs
    20 Etrog 2002 TreeSource
    Lisbon Lemon 2002 Youngs
    Lane Late Navel 2002 Youngs
    2 Desert Navel 2001 Youngs
    3 Washington Navel 2001 Youngs
    2 Atwood Navel 2001 Youngs
    Moro burgundy orange 2001 Youngs
    Moro burgundy orange 2002 Youngs
    2 Sanguinelli burg orange 2001 Willits & Newcomb (Wholesale only)
    2 Cara Cara pink navel 2001 Willits & Newcomb
    Torroco Orange 2002 Willits & Newcomb
    Eureka lemon 2001 Youngs
    Meyer lemon 2001 Youngs
    Pink Eureka lemon 2001 Youngs
    Mexican key lime 2001 Willits & Newcomb
    2 Kinnow 2001 Youngs
    W. Murcott 2001 Youngs
    Fairchild 2001 (Youngs) Bob Wilson retail
    Seedless Pixie 2004 (C&M) Lowes
    Chandler Pummelo 2001 Willits & Newcomb
    Oroblanco grapefruit 2001 Youngs
    Rio Red grapefruit 2001 Youngs
    Ruby grapefruit 2001 Youngs
    Red Shaddock on Carrizo 2002 Willits & Newcomb
    Palestine Sweet Lime 2002 Willits & Newcomb
    Kaffir Lime 2002 TreeSource
    Bearss/Tahiti/persian 2001 Youngs
    Minneola 2001 Youngs
    Meiwa Kumquat dwarf 2001 (4 Winds) Bob Willson retail
    2 Nagami Kumquat 2001 Youngs
    Valencia 1996 (Thermal Nursery) chairity auction
    improved Valencia 2005 Youngs
    2 Coctail "grapefruit" hybred 2005 Willits & Newcomb
    African Shadock 2005 Willits & Newcomb
    Tahiti Pummelo 2005 Willits & Newcomb
    Eustis Limequat 2005 Willits & Newcomb
    Indio Manderinquat 2005 Willits & Newcomb

2: How do you grow them? In the ground with only our abundant sunshine.

3: What type of fertilizer do you use and why? ONLY organic mulch with a little bit of horse manure. No chem. at all.

Have you tired other types and found one that has proven to be more effective? yes, tried all chem. The mulch system produces faster growth, better leaf density, more fruit, higher quality fruit with better flavor, and eleminates virtually all pest and desease and nutrient defencency problems. I do get less than 5% with some cosmetic dammage from thrip but I consider this acceptable.

4: What about pest control? What type do you use and why? Use mulch to grow healthy trees, you have very little pest problem.

5: Where did you buy your citrus trees? Listed with the trees. These are wholesale only sources.

Have you had any negative experiences in buying trees? Only one, and that was not citrus.

6: What were some of challenges you faced growing your citrus trees? How did you, if you did, correct the problem?
    I'm in a cold sink area, and so I get a little more frost than others. I have described my little candle/radiator system in another thread.

7: Why was citrus a choice for you to grow? Was it the look of the tree or did you just like that type of fruit?
    For the fruit first and formost. Also, the Daisy tangerine make a beautiful screen hedge from my neighbors.

8: What other types of fruit trees do you grow and why? Way to many to list, but various peaches, apricots, plums, pommegranets, apple, jujube, mango, avacado, fig, dates.

9: Other than this forum what other venues or clubs have you enlisted for support? Califonia Rare Furit Growers

10: Were there any books you found especially helpful in growing citrus? Hmmm, bits and pieces from so many books and mags about farming, soil, trees, orchards, organic. My 2 fav's "How to Farm Your Back Yard the Mulch Orcanic Way" by Max Alth, and "No Work Gardening" by Ruth Stout.

11: Out of all your citrus trees which one do you love the most and why? Kinnow tangerine, juicy, sweet, and holds on the tree all the way through May (which is rare for any citrus in our heat)

12: What do you do with your harvest? Eat it, cook with it, and share it? EAT IT :) and juice it, share it and sell some to local organic outlets. Ask me for my Ham Barlonas recipie with dates and tangerines!

13: Does your family share your hobby of growing citrus trees? Yes. My daugher is especially helpful at "harvesting" the key lime, if you know what I mean. : )

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

DatePalmGuy - I would assume that, because of the ham recipe, you aren't Jewish. So, why the large number of Etrog trees? If you are Jewish, shalom! I'd like to know how you use this goodly fruit of Leviticus. Thanks.

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

1: Calamondin from seed (down to one), Key Lime (1 seed, one 8 inch purchaced)(2), Meyer Lemon (1 10 inch purchaced), unk. Sweet Orange (~10 inch purchaced)

2: Container, just switched to Cactus Mix from Orchid Mix (the orchid seemed to be needing fed more often)

3: I am using WM "expert acid food" with minerals. I am going to try fish/ worm castings on a few to see if I can get away with Organic.

4: What about pests? hand-pick occasional spider mites.

5: Seedlings- trade or home eating. http://gurneys.com/Default.asp? for their citrus special. Small crooked plants, Did survive transplanting and look healthier.

6: I need to hire someone to water when I leave town!

7: I hate that so much of our food is transported miles and miles, and wanted to try to raise something I could keep in a sunny window.

8: Raspberries (and one blackberry) - One pint is about the same price as an end of season plant. and theyre delicious. Nana pomegranate- something dwarf I can keep myself.

9: I want to join NAFEX when Ive got some income.

10: not yet, when the budget allows....

11: Its like kids, you cant really choose!

12: a year or 3 off here....

13: no.

• tamstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wow, I find all this info so informative and useful. Is everyone esle learning great things from this thread?

• dannyboquet
    18 years ago

1. All citrus planted from 3 gallon buckets in early March 2003. They range in size from 2ft to 6ft.
    Owari Satsuma x 3
    Brown Select Satsuma x 2
    Meyer lemon x 2
    Lisbon lemon x 1
    Valencia x 3
    Louisiana Sweet x 2
    Calamondin x 1
    Sweet Kumquat x 1
    Ruby Red Grapefruit x 1
    Blood Orange x 1
    Washington Navel x 1
    Dream Navel x 1
    Tangelo x 1
    Mandarin x 1
    Tangerine x 1

2. All in the ground

3. 13-13-13. Cheap. No.

4. Eight Fruit Orchard Spray. For pests.

5. Star Nursery in Belle Chasse, LA (pre flood)

6. Frosts are a problem. Use towels and blankets now. Plan to buy a heater when they get bigger.

7. Grows well around here and family loves to eat it. They do look good and the smell when in bloom is great, but I grow it for the flavor.

8. Apples, pears, Asian pear, peaches, muscadines, persimmons, loquats, jujubes, plums, blackberries, grapes, fejoia, pomegranites, plumcot. To eat. Limited by chill hours and low temperatures.

9. I have a friend who owns a nursery.

10. The pamphlet put out by LSU Ag.

11. Owari Satsuma. Delicious and convenient.

12. Eat it all so far. When the trees get bigger, I will give a lot away to friends and neighbors.

13. Most of my siblings have a few trees. My father had an orchard of about 60 trees, almost all Satsumas (probably Owari).

• softmentor
    18 years ago

Yes I am Jewish but not a strictly practicing Jew. Actually, I believe Jeshua ha Meshiah. But that's another story.
    The ham recipe is a friends, and since it includes 2 of my very favorite foods, I mentioned it. We do not eat pork in our home.
    We grow a few Etrog and sell them for Sacote. The fragrance is close to lemon, but distinct and wonderful. You can also make paper thin slices of the fruit, cover them with powdered sugar and bake lightly and quickly for a wonderful sweet.
    Dates are also mentioned in Scripture, as well as pommegrantes which we also grow. I am looking for a kosher sorce of the other two elements of the lulav, willow and heather. We have palm and etrog. Till then, we have the 2 parts.

Posted by: AnotherAlterEgo 8
    DatePalmGuy - I would assume that, because of the ham recipe, you aren't Jewish. So, why the large number of Etrog trees? If you are Jewish, shalom! I'd like to know how you use this goodly fruit of Leviticus. Thanks.

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

>>Actually, I believe Jeshua ha Meshiah. But that's >>another story.

For those who may not be familiar with this, it is the movement commonly known as "Jews for Jesus".

So, do you guys still celebrate Succot/Feast of the Tabernacles with Etrog fruit, and all of the pomp and circumstance that go along with it (like the golden Etrog box, etc.)?

You may want to check the link I posted below. This guy is from Dallas. When I met with him a few years ago, he was mainly into Etrogs. He may be able to help you find the willow and heather.

• MikeP46
    18 years ago

Ok, here's mine......

1. All types of citrus: oranges,lemons,limes,grapefruit,mandarins,satsumas (90 trees, at last count) all in containers ranging in size from 1 - 6 feet tall.

2. Grown in containers (CHC, soil conditioner, peat moss), outdoors (greenhouse covered in winter) Full sun only.

3. Used many kinds in the past. Now using ammonium nitrate alternating with Osmocote Pro monthly. Spraying weekly with MegaGro. Added S.T.E.M to original CHC mix.

4. Spray for leafminers around September. No other real pest problems.

5. Bought from Lowe's, Acorn Springs, Four Winds Growers, Clifton's Nursery, Thompson Nursery, Home Depot

6. Miracle Grow Soil Mix compacted after 3 years. Repotted all citrus this year in CHC mix. The results are amazing!

7. Liked the evergreen leaves. Want to eat the fruit. Pretty trees.

8.Strawberries, blueberries, avocado trees (new project)

9. Search the Internet for answers to my questions. Excellent resource.

10.No

11. Washington Navel, Huge oranges, seedless and delicious!

12. No, they all think I'm crazy! LOL

• citrusboy
    18 years ago

1: Navel Orange, Eureka lemon, Oro Blanco Grapefruit, Mexican Lime, Semi Dwarf Nectarine are all in ground 8 feet high.

Tarroco, Sanguinelli & Moro Blood Oranges, Rangpur Lime, Australian Finger Lime, Palestine sweet lime, Kaffir Lime, Minneola Tangelo, Yuzu are all in containers screening the southwest patio.

Satsuma Mandarin and Bearss Lime in Containers in the house.

2: Mix of In ground, container (Potting soil and wood shavings if from four winds), Indoor and outdoor.

3: Something from Home depot. Can't seem to remember...

4: No pest control on the container fruit. Professional fruit tree sprayer comes out once a year to keep scale away.

5: Mail Order from www.fourwindsgrowers.com, retail from Rolling Hills Nursery, Armstrong Garden, Home Depot (Durling's and Laverne Nursuries) and Orchard Supply (They source from Fourwinds)

6: Scale on the Lemon and Grapefruit. Spray. Leave it to the pros. $150 a visit for a commercial sprayer to do my 4 in ground citrus.

7: Love the fruit!

8: Nectarine. Favorite stone fruit.

9: This is it. I usually visit or email www.fourwindsgrowers.com.

10: No. Just use the web.

11: Right now my favorite is the Rangpur lime. My wife and I make Caipirhanias that are amazing.

12: Limes/Lemons - Drinks for entertaining: Caipirhania's and Caipirovska's

Grapefruit/Tangelo/Oranges - Juice, Eat Fresh or Mojitos (Blood Orange)

13: Wife likes the Drinks and the smell of the indoor citrus in bloom. Cat likes to bat at the bees by the outdoor containers.

• katwomn59
    18 years ago

I'm a total newbie, but here goes!

1) Thai Lime, it is almost 2' tall now

2) In a 10" container with a pine bark mix. But now that last frost is here, I am planning to repot in CHCs.

3) Organic. Fish emulsion, liquid seaweed, cottonseed meal, Foxfarm 5-5-5 slow release. Dont know if anything else would be more effective, I am only starting my second year of gardening. I am not particulary "green" but since I am growing mostly stuff to eat/cook with, I decided to go the organic route.

4) So far havent had much problem with pests (knock wood), some leaf miners I think but got some beneficial nematodes and havent seen anymore. Other than that have just used neem oil, and soap sprays.

5) I didnt buy it. Some friends gave it to me when they moved to Canada!

6) The biggest challenge was just learning about how to care for it. I knew nothing about citrus when I got it. But have learned a lot from this forum!

7) My friends gave it to me because Tom Yung Goong is my favorite Thai dish and it is not worth making unless you have thai lime leaves.

8) No other citrus trees. I live in an apartment and my balcony is pretty small. When I have more room I would like to try lime, lemon and calamondin (or kalamansi as it is called in the Phillippines. I am half Filipino)

9) I surf the net for information but most of what I have learned I learned here on Gardenweb!

10) I have "The Bountiful Container" but no specific books on citrus.

11) This is my first, so it will probably always be special to me.

12) Tom Yung Goong!!! I have some recipes for various curry pastes that call for thai lime leaves but havent gotten around to trying them yet.

12) Nope, its just me

Lydia

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

(2)Thai kaffir lime 2ft
    (2) buddah's hand 2ft
    citron etrog 2ft
    red navel 4ft
    satsuma 'owari'
    meyer lemon 4ft
    persian lime 4ft
    kumquat 'miewa' sweet 3 1/2 ft
    key lime (thorny) 5ft
    blood orange 'moro' 4ft
    aust. finger lime 2ft.

several seedlings of diff types

2:
    All are container grown. In a mix of rose soil with cedar or redwood chips mixed with perlite. I need good drainage because it rains alot here and also there is a 'dew of rain' every morning in S. LA. This past winter I put them in a screen room which I use for a cheap cool green house. It did actually freeze a few times here even went down into the upper 20s. None of those trees have had any damage this year and all have new growth.

3: Been using citrus/avocado fertilizer from H.D. or I also use miracle grow acid fert. (not all at once of course ;P)

4: Pest control: hand pick or use neem.

5: Where did you buy your citrus trees?
    Some I bought locally, some from 4winds.

6: challenges: Finding enough space lol, resisting temptation to get more ;P Finding the more unusual cultivars here in LA or from a mail order that will ship to LA

7:why grow it?
    I guess we always had citrus growing up in Phx, AZ so it was natural for me to grow it as an adult.

I have figs,bananas, and other tropical trees, I am planning to add lots more this year.

9: Other then this forum what other venues or clubs have you enlisted for support? none

10: Were there any books you found especially helpful in growing citrus? just internet and picking my grandmother's brain-

11: Out of all your citrus trees which one do you love the most and why? one of my buddah's hands because it is such a pain in the @..

12: "What do you do with your harvest? Eat it, cook with it, and share it?" Eat cook, share (aka try to pawn it off on others :D) ,freeze. Little story: Once I was cooking a ham, and was going to make the orange glaze. I found that my son had drank all the orange juice. I saw a few moro blood oranges on the table and decided to make a glaze from that, Needless to say it looked like someone had hacked into that thing and it was bleeding profusely!! But it was truly the best ham we ever had because of the berry like flavor from the blood oranges. So now we cook them all that way :)

13: Does your family share your hobby of growing citrus trees? Yes

Fun Survey!
    ~SJN

• mckh
    18 years ago

1: Types of citrus trees and size:
    Valencia Orange 2'
    Pink Grapefruit 3'
    Key Lime 12"
    Meyer Lemon 2'

2: How do you grow them?
    All are in ground, will pot Key lime in fall.

3: Type of fertilizer do you use and why?
    Citrus fertilizer with higher ratios of NPK. Addition of some micronutrients as well.

Usually just fire ants, rake the area lightly and they move to a different location after a few days, because obviously fire ants are immortal.
    Last year I used a 3 in 1 spray that worked really well. Had problems with leafminers and lacewings. It's still early in the season this year.

5: Where did you buy your citrus trees?
    The Meyer, Key Lime and another were from a local nursery, Blue Star Nursery. I got one (either orange or grapefruit)from a local Ace Hardware.

6: What were some of challenges you faced growing your citrus trees?
    They are not putting out flowers or fruit or growing vertically. Put micronutrients in soil to attempt to correct problem.

Location, and chose types that were supposedly easy to grow.

Nectarine tree. I purchased it same time as lemon and lime, it was the prior season's and looked dead, had to rescue it! (Plus it was very cheap)

9: Other then this forum what other venues or clubs have you enlisted for support?
    None.

Not really, I have a southern gardener's book, and it helps a little. I go to the UF extension website for tips since it is specific to the area.

I'm a little upset at all of them, but I'd have to say the grapefruit, it's been the most consistent.

Got one grapefruit first season in ground. It was delicious! Not sour at all. I was unable to get to the 40 or so nectarines before the deer, squirrels, etc did.

13: Does your family share your hobby of growing citrus trees?
    Not in the least.

Thanks for the interesting survey!

Christine

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Etrog, Satsuma, Key Limes (2) Kaffirs (3)Red Navel, Ponderosas (2) Fly Dragons (3, one in the ground) Juno, urrayas (2) Hirado Buntan Pummello, CAlamondin, Meyer, Persian Lime, Moro, Variegated Lemon.

Sizes vary..from 1-4+' tall.

I usually used Azalia fertilizer..In 2005 I used citrus fertilizer, and tried Osmocote in Oct, but I notice no difference than I did in previous yrs.

To prevent insects, in 2005 I sprayed all my trees w/Fish Emulsion..learned this trick from one of the suppliers where I purchase citrus trees. Before that I sprayed w/my own concoction which cosists of dish soap, garlic, citrus rind..and in extreme cases, 5 cigarette butts that had been soaking in water overnight.

My trees were bought at 3 places..Briteleaf, Harris, and Acorn Springs. I love all three nurseries and never had any problems with citrus upon arrival.

Growing citrus in IL is a challenge in itself. I try giving them as much sun as possible, in summer they go outside for fresh air and more light. Otherwise, no problems.

I grow citrus because I like the look of the trees, dote on the scent of flowers, and just feel good when fruit developes..

Other than GW, I have 3 citrus books..All about Citrus, Citrus and Sunset Citrus. TAlking to ppl here on gw helped in many ways, too.

My dh sometimes using lemons/limes for mixed drinks..I'm not much of a citrus lover, lol, and like I said grow mostly for the plant itself.

My sister was impressed when she came over and we counted 23 lemons on my Meyers a few yrs back in winter..Her dh tooks some lemons to nibble on..

Favorte citrus? That's sooo difficult. CAlamondin is one I like the least..I guess it's between Ponderosa or Meyers. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Forgot to add..My son brought me an Oroblanco GRapefruit back from CA about 3-4 wks back. It's about 1' tall, had 5 huge fruit on it. He got it at Armstrong if anyone's familiar w/the place..Toni

• rickjames
    18 years ago

What's a urrayas?

• Desert_Heat
    18 years ago

1.Minneola Tangelo -Around 13 feet I think.
    Marsh White Grapefruit. Semi-Dwarf Around 9 feet.
    Fairchild Tangerine -3 feet
    2.Ground
    3.Citrus Fertilizer- It's a local brand
    4.No Pest Control
    5.They came from local nurseries and were grown locally.
    6.No challenges, they Tangelo and grapefruit produce tons of fruit season after season. The tangerine is new.
    7.For the fruit
    8.1 low chill peach because I love peaches.
    9.No other citrus boards
    10.No
    11.The grapefruit because they are so juicy and our blazing hot summers make them delicious.
    12.Eat/juice and give bagfulls away.
    13.Yes

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

1. , Meiwa kumquat
    2. in a pickle jar, outside during summer, in grow box for
    the winter under compact florescent 13 watt bulbs
    3. vinegar X roof nails plus fish emulation 5-1-1. I get
    the nutrients + Iron & zinc from the nails tree needs
    4. soapy water. roottone on trunk and soil surface
    5. Planted Seed from fruit. from FL kumquat growers inc.
    6. Damp off. put pot in water so water rises from bottom
    so that the soil at the surface never gets wet
    7. Fresh kumquats all winter eat peal and flesh
    8. Apples, peaches, pears, plums, cherries, grapes, figs,
    kiwis, gooseberries, paw paws, kumquats. I like fresh
    fruit all 12 months of the year.
    9. So far just responding to others, reading, & research
    10. no books. just the internet
    11. The Meiwa kumquat. Its my only citrus tree
    12 no harvest yet. tree only 9.5 months old. see picture.
    13. HA-HA-HA ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

My goodness, this is an ANCIENT thread, how did this get resurrected??

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

I opened this thread as well as others. to see if anyone else has any seed grown kumquat tree 4 or more years old that they could share pictures. My original plan was to grow scion wood from seed and graft to my seed grown Poncirus Trifoliata trees. In 7 months my PT's had about 5 ft of linear growth over a couple trunk an limbs. my Meiwa kumquat had 7/12 ft over the same time, hence grafting is the answer . After about 25 attempts with total failure it is now obvious that own root growing is the only option. If you look for nursery stock there are lots of companies to chose from, but nobody grafts to PT or flying dragon because there are other rootstocks that grow a lot faster and are easier to graft to. Forget the fact that there are computability problems 5 years down the road, the warranty has expired. My fault. That's what lots of research on my part does.

Why a Meiwa it's cold hardy, Heat tolerant, Gives me fresh fruit all winter when all my other trees have no leaves, It's small enough to fit in my lean-2 green house, it is much easier to grow small fruit than large fruit. I don't have to peal them as i hate pealing citrus as It is messy. kumquats are very expensive. I can't buy any other cold hardy citrus fruit to get seeds from 'sanboken lemon' . I don't have the money to buy the trees and ship costs. If the kumquat tree dies, this will end my citrus excursions. Citrus fruit is so cheep at the grocery store. It just seems to me that there is a potting soil mix just for Meiwa trees because with 7,000,000,000 people on this planet, It has been successfully tried

I am willing to try an Indio manderinquat as I can find the fruit hear in Cincinnati and they do grow on there own roots as a potted tree. See picture of my 4 pt root stock trees

Steve R

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I don't know the answer to some of your questions but I am growing Citrus trees WhY?
    Because Growing Citrus trees in the North is a challenge and I don't run away from Challenges.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

Hey I like your style. In my endeavors I put my 1000 SQFT garden on top of my 3.5 story hose towering 43 ft above the road. to hold the 500,000 LB load I ran structural rail from ground to roof tied int the 2 by 4 framing and insulate then stucco to make R45 insulated wall. On the south side there will be a lean-2 green house to enclose the fig, citrus, and dragon fruit cactus plant for 35FT of the 52 ft length of house. This greenhouse doubles as my solar heating system. So I call It my lean-3 greanhoue The remaining 15 ft I growing grape up a 12 FT pole and letting the annual flowering weep down to produce grapes ( IT WORK GREAT). The kiwis grow up to 30 ft and will be trained like window shutter for fresh kiwi from an open window. the fruit trees are at ground. The butternut squash hang over the roof to give sunlight for others on the roof. I built a 1100 gal rain collection system as a prototype for my 5000 gal system. see the picture on my roof top. Psssst the 3.5 tall fence keeps the deer out. As far as the kumquat trees goes some things are not a challeng but not possible. The wisdom come to knowing when to quit and spend the energy where it will be fruitful. I am learning. I would like to hear of you endevers

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

This is a rooftop garden picture of early spring looking south east. You have inspired me to buy more kumquats and I have planted 11 seeds. Would you consider doing the same and we can compare notes. I have not figured how to upload 2 or more picks,m I have to do them 1 by 1

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

poncirus guy, help me to understand your 3 1/2' "deer" fence? First, if you're already up 43 feet from the road, how can you have a deer jump that high? Or, if part of this garden is at road level, a 3 1/2' fence won't keep any deer out I know.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

Hi patty
    I'm involved in several garden groups and the biggest complaint I hear is you cant keep dear out with less than a 7 FT fence. I argue that a properly installed 42 inch fence will do the job as it has in my 10 years gardening . I am very careful to word it so there is no reference that the garden is at ground level. I give them my address to drive by or come on a tour. As they approach the property this is what they see. The fence is only to keep me in not deer out. This Is my running garden joke
    Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

Thanks

I found this thread to be the most interesting of all the threads on garden web. Being that citrus is so incredibly time consuming I have decided to put my efforts towards more productive plants. I am in the process of finding homes for my plants. None will be left to die. My hardy chicago fig has proved its worth and will be the only subtropical plant I'll grow

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

While the meiwa kumquat tree from seed is the prettiest plant I have, I have other plants that take about the same amount of time., but offer so much more. These are my house plants, that is the plants that reside with in the foot print of my house. Click on the link below to access any of my Picasa pictures to which you can click on to enlarge. Mean while click on the picture below for a last veiw of my seed grown meiwa tree at 13.5 months and dated picture of its youth.

{{gwi:576136}}

Click on the picture to open the Photobucket display then use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate

• yakkwak
    11 years ago

1. IML's: 4-6'; Calamondins: 4' to bonsai size; Seto Satsuma: 5.5'; Meho Satsuma: 4', & unidentified lemons: 1-2'.
    2. All in containers; some on patio, some inside with natural & supplemental lighting.
    3. Foliage Pro, SuperThrive, and vinegar.
    4. Alcohol on cottonball for rare spider mites (very effective but boring to do; turn on the radio LOL)
    5. Purchased at local nurseries (mom & pop type + big box stores); calamondin from seed).
    6. Learning correct growing medium; effective control of spider mites, not overpruning roots.
    7. Like lemons and also love the winding, drooping shape of the Seto - very graceful, artistic looking.
    8. One apple.
    9. This forum is the best source of info.
    10. Books only for the bonsai.
    11. Favorite is the new Seto for its cool shape.
    12. Use the Meyer in baking; calamondin on fish.
    13. Son is sort of interested; mostly they put up with it :-)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

I have started 2 nagami kumquats and 6 sweet lee tangerines all from seed. All the questions are the same as my last entry below.

1. , Meiwa kumquat
    2. in a pickle jar, outside during summer, in grow box for
    the winter under compact florescent 13 watt bulbs
    3. vinegar X roof nails plus fish emulation 5-1-1. I get
    the nutrients + Iron & zinc from the nails tree needs
    4. soapy water. roottone on trunk and soil surface
    5. Planted Seed from fruit. from FL kumquat growers inc.
    6. Damp off. put pot in water so water rises from bottom
    so that the soil at the surface never gets wet
    7. Fresh kumquats all winter eat peal and flesh
    8. Apples, peaches, pears, plums, cherries, grapes, figs,
    kiwis, gooseberries, paw paws, kumquats. I like fresh
    fruit all 12 months of the year.
    9. So far just responding to others, reading, & research
    10. no books. just the internet
    11. The Meiwa kumquat. Its my only citrus tree
    12 no harvest yet. tree only 9.5 months old. see picture.
    13. HA-HA-HA ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Wow, this IS an old thread. I wonder where the older members are hiding these days.

While reading some older threads, I came across my post...
    I must fix this correction, 7-years later.

I wrote, urraya. The following poster asked what urraya was. Guess I didn't see his question...
    The answer was Murraya. :) Toni

• GreenBecca108
    9 years ago

Hello, I'm brand new to your site. :D And am happy to join y'all.
    I have been growing 3 little Clementine trees in a 9" x 6" blue ceramic pot that is 3" deep. I started them from seeds of this candy-like awesome fruit that I eat pounds & pounds of every winter.

These trees are 4 years old & are 3", 4", & 6" tall. They have not been moved from this pot where I started them in the pot I had garlic chives in, that are in my south facing kitchen(over my sink) window. There is an old florescent fixture(the tubes are just old GE kitchen & bath type) above this window that's on pretty much 24/7, it is 33" above the pot. Being near the sink ensures that they get attention = watered. I am going to take the chives(Over half of the pot) out & re-pot the Clementines centered back into the same pot to continue their bonsai life. I've never done this before, but so far winging it is working. :D

I haven't traditionally fertilized them, though the soil was initially miracle grow & my nice black yard soil. They also get water from my fish tank( 3 Fancy Goldfish, with 6 different plants) when I do water changes so I guess that counts as fertilizer.

When they had spider mites(from another plant in the window) I used dish soap water to coat them & the soil, it killed the mites, & no problems since then. We only use organic products, when needed, around & in our home.

My son has started 4 pomegranates from a fruit he ate, so I'll be getting 2 of those to bonsai. My husband helps take care of the house plants & the front yard which is all done in cottage garden style. My other son is not the gardening type, yet.

As for growing things it's just something we love to do & we have generations of green thumbs in our family. Stuff just grows for us. ;) We look up info when necessary, & I share the knowledge I've learned growing up with my husband & sons.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My new collection.

2 Fukushu kumquats at 24 inches in ground.

1 Meiwa on Kuharske citrange at 32 inches to be move from a 7 gallon bucket to ground.

1 New Zealand Lemonade tree in 7 gallon bucket standing 37 inches tall.

2 Cuban shaddocks from cuttings. 1 in ground and 1 in 30 gallon.

miracle Gro and miracid 24-8-16 plus 28-0-4 because they are very inexpensive.

oil and soap for pest control.

All 6 trees were gifts from friends.

Spider mites are the big challenge.

The advertiser said that citrus were very easy grow.

too little water is my big problem.

Apples, peaches, pears, plums, cherries, figs, goose berries,blue berries.

This is the only place I use for citrus growing,

No harvest yet and

Family does,not get involved.

• devsense
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

1: 23 varieties ( Lemon , Lime , Citron , Orange , Grapefruit , Mandarins) n expanding each year a bit.

2: In Containers , outside when its warm , in basement with supplemental light in winter

3: Foliage Pro & Protekt

4: When outside nothing , when inside Insecticidal Soap , Neem Oil

5: Its a wide mix of options , In Canada we have to give quite an effort to source trees

6: Pests when inside especially Scales , they are always in check but never completely gone .

7: Citus plants produce beautiful flowers , fragrance and fruit .Even the leaves like for Kaffir is useful . N originally being from a citrus growing region reminds me of my childhood .

8: Cold weather ones outside - Blueberry , Cherry , Raspberry.

9: None

10: UC Riverside has a great collection of online books .

11: Nagami Kumquat and Cedro ( Italian Citron)

12: Marmalades , Succade , Candied Peel , Vodka infusions

13: No

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Up dating my citrus portfolio.

1)----1 Meiwa + 2 Fukushu kumquats, 2 New Zealand lemonade, 2-3 feet each. 2 Cuban Shaddocks and a tangerine about medium size.

2)----The Kumquats, tangerine and a Cuban Shaddock are in ground outside and get covered by glass for winter. The Other Cuban shaddock is in pure compost in a 30 gallon container. Both New Zealand lemonade are in 5-4-1 with one in a 30 and the other in a 7 gallon. The indoor tree grow under CFL lights.

3) I use miracle Grow 24-8-16 and grass feed 29-0-4. It works great and they are Cheep$$$.

4)---Soap and water, Cannola oil with soap, and water, bonide pyrethrin.

5)----All 3 kumquat trees were a gift from Cory, The New Zealand lemonade tree was a gift from Pip, the 2 Meyer lemons turned into ?Cuban Shaddocks were rescue gifts from Ann. The tangerine tree was from seed. The second NZL I grafted a twig from my gift NZL to US897 I grew from seeds a gift from Pip.

6)---I grew over 300 citrus trees from seed and I lost all but 1 by the time I got past the learning curve. The only trees I have are my gift trees and that one tangerine tree that lived. All my gift trees are still doing fine.

7)---I got a kumquat fruit at Kroger grocery. I liked the fruit and did a years worth of research before ordering 10 pounds of Meiwas and poncirus trifoliata seeds on Ebay for seedlings to grafting the Meiwa seedling to strong roots. I had no idea how hard citrus is to grow.

8)---Apples, peaches, pears, figs, paw paws,cherries, goose berries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwis, and concord grapes. Fresh organic back yard fruit.

9)---This is the only forum I am on.
    10)---No book reading.

11)---In my case the Cuban Shaddocks are the trees I like the least.

12)---I eat the few fruits I get from my small trees.

13)---Ha-ha-ha-ho-he-ho-he-ha Please don't make me laugh. My ribs are splitting.

6b Steve Cincinnati, Oh

• Saltysea (Oz)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lemon eureka lisbon meyer babies not grafted. Everything else grafted

Lemon meyer

Tahitian lime

Australian finger lime

Australian gem

Makrut lime all 5 years old

Lemonade

Calamondin

Mandarin emporer, clementine

West indian lime all about 2 years old

Arnold blood orange a year old

Australian round lime

Yuzu not sure brand new tree have it about 6 months. But already over a metre and a half and has fruited already

2: How do you grow them? In the ground or in containers? In a greenhouse, indoors, out with or without supplemental lighting? If container grown what type of soil mix are you using?

All in containers. Outside. Bring the younger in in the winter keep them in my back room which has big windows

3: What type of fertilizer do you use and why? Have you tired other types and found one that has proven to be more effective?

Composted chook manure. Seasol. Potash. Trace minerals. A bit of epsom salts if needed

Try and let nature control it. Remove stuff with my hands and try plant things around the garden to attract beneficials.

If things get really bad i will enlist the help of a homemade white oil spray. But thats just when I'm desperate as I worry about the beneficials.

5: Where did you buy your citrus trees? Please also supply the link if it was mail order and which state, please. Have you had any negative experiences in buying trees?

Most of them are presents. But have bought some of the older ones from bunnings and from the sundays farmers markets. I've got a wishlist for some of the more unusual ones which I can only find online, but want to make sure my current ones make it through the summer first.

Leaf miner. Scale. Ants. Getting enough water and protecting from sunburn in the hot summer. Getting feeding right and shaping properly.

Besides the pest control. I put a shade cloth up when its going to be too hot.

I love citrus. Beautiful fragrant flowers. Zest. Fruit. Leaves (makrut) and pretty looking plant.

Fig. Tamarillo. A few native australian berry trees. Acerola. Fejoia. Peach. Apple. And a baby banana tree...we will see how we go with that.

This forum. No clubs. I was a member of a community garden but then I moved.

No not yet.

That's a hard question. My tahitian lime is one of my oldest most prolific and i love limes. A lot of the others are a bit young yet.

Eat it. Cook with it and share it. I have a few friends that come for some of the makrut leaves. I cannot wait until some of my trees are abundantly producing so I can share with my friends and neighbours

13: Does your family share your hobby of growing citrus trees? Ummmm not so much