Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Satsuma Juice?

Posted by HGFzone8 none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 16:40

Can you freeze Satsuma juice? I have a Brown Select that is loaded this year. I freeze my Meyers juice but didn't know on the satsumas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Satsuma Juice?

I don't see why not, HGF. I don't think mandarin juice gets bitter in the refrigerator, like navel orange juice does, so I would freeze away! I just had some fresh squeeze Gold Nugget mandarin juice last Friday, and oh boy was that off the hook good.

Patty S.

o

Yes, you can freeze it. As is true with all citrus juices, if you don't pasteurize it first or treat it with enzymes, it will lose its "cloud" on thawing -- the pulp will quickly float on clear serum-like liquid. But just stir or shake it up, and it's "normal" again.

o

IMHO only the Meyer does not separate on thawing; but then, the Meyer is exceptional in so many ways.

o

That is great news. I want to work on satsuma recipes as well.

Thanks everyone.

o

Satsuma freezes very well, I still have a little bit from last year. It still taste pretty good.

I freeze mine in gallon ziploc bags, make storage a somewhat easier. Most years a put up fifteen to twenty bags
of satsuma juice.

o

I used to use ziplock on my Myers but once in a while, they would get a leak. I found some screw top plastic containers that work good but do take up more freezer space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here