Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaimee_mae

those dumb spider mites

Jaimee.Mae
9 years ago

I discovered spider mites in my Meyer lemon tree yesterday. It's growing in a container and currently inside in a window. Today, I found that my potted hawaiian hibiscus, which sits right beside/intertwined with my lemon tree, is even more infested.

I just took both plants outside and (separately) sprayed them vigorously with water from the hose, tops and bottoms of leaves. I scooped out the wood chips I had on top of the lemon tree's soil, hoping to evict any bugs living in there (I didn't see any). Then, I wiped down every leaf of the lemon tree and spritzed it with water/olive oil solution (I then read that it's better to use vegetable oil instead of olive oil...oops too late). In 7 days, I plan to follow up with a diluted dishsoap wipe-down.

When I moved on to do the same on the hibiscus, I found it has quite a few more spider mites in it and the soil in the plant is just crawling with them. I sprayed it down well with water, then spritzed it with the olive oil & water (I was too squeemish to wipe leaves and I'm not as worried about it as my Meyer lemon). I plan to keep the Meyer lemon in the window where I had it and find a new home for the hibiscus for now.

Did I do the right thing? Any suggestions on getting the spider mites out of the soil on the hibiscus?

Comments (6)

• Jaimee.Mae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BY THE WAY, THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP! I've been browsing this forum since I found it yesterday, and I just joined today. I'm so glad I found it. It's going to be a ton of help!!! :)

• Jaimee.Mae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anybody?

• kev122
    9 years ago

Hi Jamiee.Mae, I bring my citrus inside during the winter, so I get spider mites as well. I use a spray bottle with water on the visible webs and the rest of the tree, and wipe down the leaves. that mostly takes care of the mites. You have to repeat as new mites hatch. Spraying your tree outside is a great way to deal with them.haven't used oil on my trees but ,be careful about sunlight when you do as you can burn the foliage. You mentioned that they are in the soil of your hibiscus. Are they mites or fungus gnats(fruit flies)?You said you have wood chips on the top and if they are constantly wet the flies will find them and thrive. Mites like hot and dry. Good luck kev

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Yup, I hate to say this, but get rid of the Hibiscus..

You will never rid them as long as you have that plant around indoors..If you plan on keeping it anyways, treat it regularly, like twice a month and keep it far from any of your other plants...Good luck.

Watch your oily mixtures..You could smother your plants leaves..I would use them if that is what you plan, but then spray the oils off with a natural soapy warm water an hour or so after..

MIke

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Oil is the best way to kill them- some say it gets all the stages-- Spider mites are just about the hardest pest I have found to control

Are they red spider mites or rust mites?- Either way oil is a cheap way to go compared to miticides.

But I would spray 3 times 3 days apart-- that will get them

This post was edited by dawgone on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 8:30

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Welcome Jamie we are slow to respond sometimes lol. Yes I hate the little red devils to rosemary oil mix with a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a water sprayer works wonders to keep them away. The oil stinks to high heavens I would rather do it as a last resort lol.
    Trace