Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wafflemaster

meyer lemon yellowing. nutrient deficiency? huanglongbing?!

wafflemaster
10 years ago

SOME leaves on my Meyer Lemon are yellowing. It began with light green blotches developing on the tips, but now the affected leaves are turning light green, drooping, and yellowing on the base and along the middle.

These leaves are the some of the biggest on the plant, more toward the base (older), and MOSTLY on the non-sun-facing side of the plant.

What's the diagnosis?
Citrus greening? Nitrogen deficiency? Magnesium deficiency? Overwatering? Underwatering? Root rot? Just normal fall drop? A combination of problems? Please let me know!

Comments (13)

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, some of the bottom-most leaves are curling down nearly to the point of looping. They also have the above problems.

Hope this helps with a diagnosis.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

A picture of the whole tree would help a lot. Most likely just a general nutrient deficiency; Meyers are huge feeders, especially if they have fruit.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Highly unlikely this is HLB. As John mentioned, if you could post several good photos of the tree overall, then some close ups of the branches and leaves, that would help. I suspect under fertilization and possibly overwatering. It also helps if you can tell us what you fertilize with, how often, and what kind of potting medium you've used, amount of sunlight, amount of time outside, etc. We really need more info to help you out.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

If you have HLB in Wisconsin, may God have mercy on the rest of us!

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From the front (window side) (notice crazy curling leaves on main stem)

Ignore the pepper plant in horrible condition, it was just brought in after a surprise frost haha.

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The back. Notice the large yellowing leaves in the middle.

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The whole plant.

The horrible part on the right is a grafted Key Lime. Which is a different problem on it's own. But it's condition might help too.

-Lime used to be same size
    -Full sun in summer
    -Watered with Miracid 30-10-10, did great
    -In September Key Lime leaves turning yellow
    -Lime leaves start dropping
    -Add more fert
    -Lime doesn't improve
    -Lemon leaves begin greening at tips
    -Move inside due to cold
    -I think I'm overwatering and overfertilizing (brown tips) SO
    -re-pot. Sure enough, soil was compacted. I bleached roots to kill possible rot
    -Used miracle gro citrus/palm/cactus mix in re-pot
    -moistened soil, didn't give plant attention for a week. Much improvement, new blossoms and leaves sprouting up
    -watered a tiny bit
    -still, CERTAIN Lemon leaves continue to yellow
    -Lime leaves still drop occasionally
    -Blossoms and new leaves continue to grow (slowly) on both plants

Oh, and the key limes leaves do not have the same symptoms at all as the lemon leaves.

After cutting limes off (thought they were taking up nutrients), the only fruit are 2 2.5-inch green lemons.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

How much cold was your tree exposed to and for how lone of a period of time?

Also I would invest in some perlite and mix half and half with the new soil you used...It would be to peaty for my plants and will probably be for your..

When growing plants, and including citrus, you should be able to water copiously in a very porous mix that flows out pretty quickly...I allows the roots to breath, salts from your soluble fertilizer salt residue to drain out at every watering and dry out fairly rapidly...This will most definitely allow for proper growth and good nutrient take up...

Something is inhibiting the fertilizer you used to be utilized and I think you have discovered it is your soil choice and possibly the very cool temps..

Watering in bits at a time is a bad sign..

Good luck and please keep us posted..

Mike

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was never exposed to enough cold to be concerned about, mid 40s at night at worst.

After doing a little research, it might be biuret toxicity. There is not much info on this online, but my fertilizer's 30% N consists of 26% urea, which is the cause of this toxicity. Thoughts??

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

If your plant has been exposed to many days of negative 55 degrees, it will become nutrient deficient....

I also suggested that your mix may be holding too much fertilizer residue causing your issues...Using a mix that is porous and one that drains freely with prevent your toxicity ...

Have you checked your root mass?

Have a good day

Mike

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would cutting the growing lemons encourage faster leaf growth?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Most certainly, removing the fruit will allow the tree to put that energy into leaves and branches.

• wafflemaster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: watered with a high nitrogen fertilizer. Drainage seemed good. But more leaves are yellowing... Ends of twigs turning BLACK now... What is it?