Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

What's the most cold hardy Mandarin cultivar known?

treeguy123
11 years ago

What's the most cold hardy Mandarin cultivar known?

This includes Mandarin, Satsuma, and Tangerine cultivars etc.

I'm talking about cultivars only of these types mentioned above, I'm Not talking about hybrids with bitter/sour very cold hardy Citrus like (Citrus ichangensis) or (Ponciris trifoliata).

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (19)

• krismast
    11 years ago

You might want to try contacting Stan of Mckenzie Farms. He has a lot of experience with cold hardy citrus.

Kristopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Check some of the Louisiana satsuma mandarin selections (not all developed in Louisiana, but grown successfully there), such as Brown's Select satsuma, Owari satsuma, King mandarin, Kimbrough mandarin, Changsha mandarin, and surprisingly, Gold Nugget. Also the Ambersweet orange (which is really a hybrid between a sweet orange and a mandarin, no surprise there), is also quite cold tolerant. When I took the UCR Citrus Variety Collection tour, Dr. Kahn mentioned that their two Gold Nugget mandarins sustained signficantly less damage than the Frost Owari satsuma mandarin trees did, when they experienced the record-breaking freezes back in the late 90's, there. Also, the Bloomsweet grapefruit is very cold tolerant, down to about 13 degrees, as are the above citrus varieties mentioned. McKenzie Farms has a variety called, "Ten Degree Mandarin" which is supposed to be hardy down to 10 degrees. Texas is also another place to search for cold-hardy citrus cultivars. You'll see many of the above varieties mentioned, and possibly a few more.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: McKenzie Farms - Hardy Citrus

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks krismast.

Thanks Patty.
    I've been thinking 'Frost Owari' (also called 'Silverhill') was the most cold hardy cultivar, so that's new and interesting to me about the Gold Nugget mandarin being less damaged.
    I know 'Kimbrough' is equal to or a tad more tender than than 'Owari'. And 'Silverhill' wins over 'Owari' in cold. And you give info that says Gold Nugget wins over 'Silverhill'.
    So it might be Gold Nugget vs Changsha. Who would win, does anybody possibly know?

Just for info, I do know the Ten Degree Mandarin is a hybrid between Yuzu & some other Mandarin cultivars, so it has C. ichangensis in its pedigree.

11 years ago

Well, hard to say if there's been a head to head with Gold Nugget, a California-bred mandarin, and Silverhill or 10 Degree, treeguy. I don't think anyone could tell you that, actually. You should try both varieties and be our test case. I sure know UCR was shocked, and that's not the first time I've heard this, either. One of our local commercial growers, Clausen's, got a huge order to bud up a commercial orchard order for Gold Nugget from a N. California citrus grower. They had bought a couple of Gold Nugget from Clausen's, just for fun. They had a horrid cold snap that nearly wiped everything out they had. The Gold Nuggets, only that year in the ground, did just fine. The next thing the guys knew at Clausen's, they were getting a huge commercial order :-) So, feel pretty confident about this variety. I don't know the genetic background of the Gold Nugget, and it's actually been around for a long time, but just recently released. Let us know what you decide upon. I would be very curious to see how they both perform for you in your colder climate. It is exceptional here, one of the best tasting mandarins I grow.

Patty S.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    I got a Changsha earlier this year. But now I'm just looking for a retail nursery that will ship Gold Nugget and or 'Frost Owari' (aka 'Silverhill'), but I've found none. I've not even found a wholesale nursery that has them. It's strange.

11 years ago

treeguy, have you contacted McKenzie to see if they have the varieties you're after?

Patty S.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He doesn't have the above listed on the site. I think he does have other rarer cultivars, but I don't know if they are for sale. I'll have to check.
    Thanks.

• crispy_z7
    11 years ago

I don't what is the "most hardy" , But I am in zone 7B also and my Owari Satsumas seem to be quite hardy here.

I do cover them with a simple greenhouse in the winter, but it is only heated by a couple of 40 watt bulbs on a handful of nights a year and I have seen no damage to the trees.

Besides being really hardy, these are some of my favorite citrus period. easy to peel, no seeds, great juicy flavor.

(by the way , my trees came from Stan McKenzie, I've ordered from him twice- grows his own trees, not a reseller. Both times he personally took the order and shipped it. )

11 years ago

Treeguy, you might also want to contact Laaz over on the Citrus Grower's Forum. Laaz sells specialized citrus, and I know he has both Silverhill and Gold Nugget he could bud up for you. Laaz is a very well respected citrus grower.

http://citrus.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=citrus

Patty S.

• socalnolympia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

List of most cold hardy mandarins:

US 852 (Changsha x trifoliate) very well hardy down to zone 7, maybe even 6b

Citrandarin - Satsuma x trifoliate 0-5 degrees (Fahrenheit)

Changsha mandarin 10-11 degrees

Arctic Frost (Changsha x Satsuma) 10.5-11.5 degrees

"Ten Degree Tangerine" (Clementine x Yuzu) 11.5 degrees (some claim has slightly kerosene-like off flavor)

Keraji mandarin 12-14 degrees

Nippon mandarinquat (also called Orangequat, kumquat x Satsuma cross) 14-18 degrees

Natsumikan (more like an Orange of Grapefruit, a bit bitter and can be sour) 15-18 degrees (not sure exactly)

Satsuma is pretty hardy, can usually survive zone 8b, often 8a if the climate isn't too far north

(This list doesn't include other really sour mandarin-like varieties)

• socalnolympia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Supposedly Kimbrough Satsuma is 1 or 2 degrees hardier than standard Satsuma, while Juanita tangerine may be able to take down to 15, maybe even 13 in some situations. Though I do wonder how much of this may be overoptimism since even standard Satsuma has been known to survive down to 15 in some situations (although not reliably).

FF-6-15-150 is a new mandarin variety, supposedly great for juicing, which is probably not commercially available yet (it came out of a USDA breeding program in Florida). It is rated to be as hardy as Satsuma and was bred from Orlando tangelo. It is said to have great flavor, though seedy and on the small side for an orange.

• Ty Bert
    last year

What do you guys think would be the hardiest of these Mandarins

Changsha, Artic Frost, Owari Satsuma, or Brown Satsuma?

• Ty Bert
    last year

One of the main issues I will run into is fall frost. Any varieties that ripen in September or early October that you know about?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

10 degree tangerine 2-2 ripens in September through October Also known as Clem-Yuzu 2-2. The 10 degree 3-3 ripens in November-December.

• Ty Bert
    last year

Do you have one? Is it any good taste-wise or edible?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    last year
    last modified: last year

Clem-Yuz is a hybrid of Clementine and Yuzu and it ripens late -- like mid-winter. Mine even held fruit until spring. They're way too tart yet in December. Not the best for eating since you are protecting.

Satsumas are really tasty fruit and are among the earliest ripening of the hardier citrus, I believe. Armstrong Early or LA Early would be ones to look into.

The owner of Madison Citrus leaked out about a relatively new 'Trifoliate Satsuma' hybrid. He says it is claimed to have a good taste without Trifoliate oils, but I'm not convinced.

• bounty
    12 months ago

This thread entirely ignores the effect of rootstock on cold hardiness, which is more important.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH