Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the most cold hardy Mandarin cultivar known?

Posted by treeguy123 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 17:07

What's the most cold hardy Mandarin cultivar known?

This includes Mandarin, Satsuma, and Tangerine cultivars etc.

I'm talking about cultivars only of these types mentioned above, I'm Not talking about hybrids with bitter/sour very cold hardy Citrus like (Citrus ichangensis) or (Ponciris trifoliata).

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the most cold hardy Mandarin cultivar known?

You might want to try contacting Stan of Mckenzie Farms. He has a lot of experience with cold hardy citrus.

Kristopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

o

Check some of the Louisiana satsuma mandarin selections (not all developed in Louisiana, but grown successfully there), such as Brown's Select satsuma, Owari satsuma, King mandarin, Kimbrough mandarin, Changsha mandarin, and surprisingly, Gold Nugget. Also the Ambersweet orange (which is really a hybrid between a sweet orange and a mandarin, no surprise there), is also quite cold tolerant. When I took the UCR Citrus Variety Collection tour, Dr. Kahn mentioned that their two Gold Nugget mandarins sustained signficantly less damage than the Frost Owari satsuma mandarin trees did, when they experienced the record-breaking freezes back in the late 90's, there. Also, the Bloomsweet grapefruit is very cold tolerant, down to about 13 degrees, as are the above citrus varieties mentioned. McKenzie Farms has a variety called, "Ten Degree Mandarin" which is supposed to be hardy down to 10 degrees. Texas is also another place to search for cold-hardy citrus cultivars. You'll see many of the above varieties mentioned, and possibly a few more.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: McKenzie Farms - Hardy Citrus

o

Thanks krismast.

Thanks Patty.
I've been thinking 'Frost Owari' (also called 'Silverhill') was the most cold hardy cultivar, so that's new and interesting to me about the Gold Nugget mandarin being less damaged.
I know 'Kimbrough' is equal to or a tad more tender than than 'Owari'. And 'Silverhill' wins over 'Owari' in cold. And you give info that says Gold Nugget wins over 'Silverhill'.
So it might be Gold Nugget vs Changsha. Who would win, does anybody possibly know?

Just for info, I do know the Ten Degree Mandarin is a hybrid between Yuzu & some other Mandarin cultivars, so it has C. ichangensis in its pedigree.

o

Well, hard to say if there's been a head to head with Gold Nugget, a California-bred mandarin, and Silverhill or 10 Degree, treeguy. I don't think anyone could tell you that, actually. You should try both varieties and be our test case. I sure know UCR was shocked, and that's not the first time I've heard this, either. One of our local commercial growers, Clausen's, got a huge order to bud up a commercial orchard order for Gold Nugget from a N. California citrus grower. They had bought a couple of Gold Nugget from Clausen's, just for fun. They had a horrid cold snap that nearly wiped everything out they had. The Gold Nuggets, only that year in the ground, did just fine. The next thing the guys knew at Clausen's, they were getting a huge commercial order :-) So, feel pretty confident about this variety. I don't know the genetic background of the Gold Nugget, and it's actually been around for a long time, but just recently released. Let us know what you decide upon. I would be very curious to see how they both perform for you in your colder climate. It is exceptional here, one of the best tasting mandarins I grow.

Patty S.

o

Thanks for the info.
I got a Changsha earlier this year. But now I'm just looking for a retail nursery that will ship Gold Nugget and or 'Frost Owari' (aka 'Silverhill'), but I've found none. I've not even found a wholesale nursery that has them. It's strange.

o

treeguy, have you contacted McKenzie to see if they have the varieties you're after?

Patty S.

o

He doesn't have the above listed on the site. I think he does have other rarer cultivars, but I don't know if they are for sale. I'll have to check.
Thanks.

o

I don't what is the "most hardy" , But I am in zone 7B also and my Owari Satsumas seem to be quite hardy here.

I do cover them with a simple greenhouse in the winter, but it is only heated by a couple of 40 watt bulbs on a handful of nights a year and I have seen no damage to the trees.

Besides being really hardy, these are some of my favorite citrus period. easy to peel, no seeds, great juicy flavor.

(by the way , my trees came from Stan McKenzie, I've ordered from him twice- grows his own trees, not a reseller. Both times he personally took the order and shipped it. )

o

Treeguy, you might also want to contact Laaz over on the Citrus Grower's Forum. Laaz sells specialized citrus, and I know he has both Silverhill and Gold Nugget he could bud up for you. Laaz is a very well respected citrus grower.

http://citrus.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=citrus

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here