Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Dwarf Nagami kumquat slow to grow

jenn
10 years ago

We have a dwarf Nagami kumquat in the ground since being transplanted from a large pot over a year ago. It grew in the large (15-gal?) pot for about a dozen years until I decided I wanted to grow it in the ground. It's in a warm, south-facing spot that gets direct sun all afternoon. I've given it a few feedings this year, and it's now covered with lots of nice big green fruit.

However - it is still barely under 24" tall, the same height it was when it was transplanted into the ground over a year ago. I suppose I should have pinched off all the blossoms/fruit this year to encourage root/foliage production, but the fruit is so big now that it's probably too late to do it much good.

How soon should it start growing taller, and how can I encourage that? Should I discourage any fruit production for a few seasons? I'd really like it to grow into a small tree at least 5-6 feet tall.

Comments (11)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Pictures??? What rootstock is it on? How often and with what do you fertilize? Stuff like that helps. Best guess is it will not grow much if you keep letting it make a lot of fruit. Fruit production takes a lot of energy from the tree; and you need to give it more food to produce fruit AND growth.

• jenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry - I don't have a picture, and I will try to locate the tag to identify the rootstock. I fertilized 2 times this year with an organic citrus fertilizer, and a couple of times with fish emulsion. I agree that picking off the fruit will encourage more growth --- but, really, does everyone with a full-size mature Kumquat prevent fruit production every year until it reaches full size?

• jenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty - if it doesn't get much bigger then I will want to move it, again. I put it in a spot where I was hoping it would reach about 5 feet. It is too small for this spot so I may move it to a sunnier spot where it won't be dwarfed by other plants around it.

I'll look for the plant tag - I saved it for a long time. I may look for a non-dwarf variety as I love the look of a mature kumquat tree and love the fruit.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

They are very pretty trees for sure, Jenn. I have 4 dwarf kumquats growing in pots in my parterre garden, because they have such a pretty shape, and almost always have fruit on them. They're very ornamental. I don't care for kumquats at all, and never eat the fruit myself, but I do love how they look.

Patty S.

• jenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty - would VERY compact mean under 2 ft. tall? I would think 4' would be very compact, since a standard size can grow to 8'.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Jenn,
    I think it will fill out. Trees continue to grow.
    Stated "sizes" for trees are typically the size at 10 years (and I assume this applies to Citrus, as well). In the conifer community, for instance, the issue usually goes the other direction....folks buy a conifer for that perfect spot, assuming it will stay 3' x 6'. But then the tree continues to grow ;-)

Josh

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I would say it might get to 4' max, but that could take several more years, as not only will 'Flying Dragon' reduce the overall mature size of a tree, it also will make the tree reach maturity more slowily. And, actually maximum growth for a citrus cultivar (in general) on standard rootstocks is acheived at about 5 years, not 10, Josh. A little longer (maybe a year or two) on semi-dwarfing rootstocks. All tree cultivars have different maturity rates :-) A tree continues to grow, but not necessarily in height once it's met its maximum height potential. And of course environmental factors play a big part in growth rate for sure. Optimal conditions provide the most rapid growth rate (as you can see with John M's Meyer lemons on a very vigorous rootstock in great soil, and being extremely well maintained). My yard, not so much on DG, imperfect watering, and fertilizers that tend to leach quickly down in my poor soil. Plus, battling Phytothphora to varying degrees. So, my trees grow more slowly, in comparison. And that's the generalization. I have two Four Winds trees on Cuban Shaddock (almost as dwarfing as 'Flying Dragon') that are 3 years old and are about 2 1/2 to 3' tall (Clemnules and California Honey mandarins). Right next to another Four Winds tree also on Cuban Shaddock that is about 4 1/2' tall and growing like a banshee with the wickedest thorns you've ever seen (Red Smith Valencia). They are all within 10' of each other. Same fertilizing schedule, same pest treatment schedule, same drips, same sun exposure. So, there is also variability within cultivars, and within each individual tree :-) Not probably the answer you wanted, but the most realistic answer I can provide.

Patty S.

• jenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh - thank you.

Patty - Well, not exactly the answer I wanted but it's true and honest and therefore helpful, so thank you. :-)

I will fertilize it more next year. I found one resource that recommends citrus fertilizer every 6 weeks, and fish emulsion a few times in between. I believe it did not fruit the first season after being transplanted last year, so the nice big fat fruit growing on it now gives me hope. I would love to see it reach 4 feet!

I wonder if I should move it yet again to another spot that gets more sun. It gets sun from around noon until late afternoon, and is shaded from morning sun. Would a spot in full sun in front of a short retaining wall be too hot? Or on the southeast side of the house (morning sun until about 1-2?) Or just leave it alone already????

• FrrThom
    9 years ago

Can the dwarf Nagami kumquat be used as root stock for an Owari Satsuma Orange Bonzai tree?

• pip313
    9 years ago

2 foot tall 12 year old tree? Scary. I just asked about this and ordered 2 trees. Now I'm paranoid about having extremely small trees.