Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nckph

Overwinter citrus in garage

nckph
9 years ago

I have had four potted dwarf citrus trees since 2011 -- a Meyer lemon, a Santa Teresa lemon, a kaffir lime, and a yuzu. They stay outside during the summer, and seem very happy there.

Since I got them, I have been overwintering them in my dining room, all clustered around one south facing window. Until last winter that worked well, primarily because my heat was mostly broken downstairs and so that room was kept only above 55F. Last winter I got my heater fixed, so it was over 60 the entire time -- and they dropped leaves, got spindly, and in general did not do so well.

This year, they are too big for all of them to go back into the dining room, so I am looking for an alternate solution for overwintering. Long term, of course, I want a greenhouse. At this time, however, I do not have the money and time to do it right and in accordance with city ordinances.

In the meantime, I have clearance to use part of our unheated two-car garage as a makeshift greenhouse. The garage is attached -- two walls and the ceiling are shared with the heated portion of the house. There will be no light in the garage -- the windows are east-facing and blocked by trees. The garage door is south facing, so it gets warm on warm days.

Winter is not always wintry in this part of the world. Our daytime temps often get into the high 70s and low 80s in the middle of winter -- and then they will drop back to highs in the 40s in a few days. Very confusing, and not just for plants!

I was originally going down the road of elaborate grow tents with heaters and grow lights, and I am sure I have been flagged due to the number of posts I read on sites dedicated to illicit growing. After reading some of the very helpful posts on this forum, though, that seems unnecessary and potentially the opposite of what the trees would like.

I will probably keep the Meyer inside by the same window, as it blooms frequently and smells divine. I will probably also leave the yuzu outside and pull it inside only when it�s going to be below 30F for the low.

As for the other two, I clearly want to keep them alive, but it would be nice if they would be ready to grow and bloom in the spring when they go back outside.

What should I do for the other two? I am still willing to buy grow lights/grow tent/popup greenhouse/heater, but I do not think I can afford to keep a grow tent above 60F throughout the winter. I can probably have an emergency heater to keep it above 40F, but only in a small space. Would something like one of the Flower House popup greenhouses with some grow lights on for 8-10hrs/day plus a heater to keep it above 40F keep the plants well enough?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Comments (16)

• Christi526
    9 years ago

So I have a similar issue. I am in far NE Tn and I have a eureka lemon and a Key lime that I have grown from seed. This winter they will be going into their 3rd year. What I did last year was put them in front of an east facing window with lots of bright light, And also used a UV light for reptiles that is supposed to mimic sunlight. I gave them approx. 10 hours of light a day, watered lightly and misted the plant maybe once or twice a month. The lemon is quite large considering but the key lime is just a little guy. They are however nice and green. haven't had an insect issue, other than a grasshopper taking a nibble or two. Not sure if this is the best course of action. But last year they did beautifully. So should I be doing anything differently?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Citrus tree do not go dormant and need light all year. If you put them in the garage you will need to provide enough light for them to keep their leaves. When it is warmer you can open the garage door and then close it at night. I live in Cincinnati and it is just too far north to even consider that kind of setup past November. I have a box gutter I put the trees in for the day and bring them in at dark. You may be far enough south to do that for all but a few weeks. If so, go for it.

Picture of plants in 2nd story gutter in November. gutter is reachable though 3rd floor bedroom windows.

• nckph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was my conclusion -- that the window did not provide enough light for the plants. One of the interesting things I learned by reading this forum was that citrus seem to want more light the warmer they're kept. So I concluded that when it was cool in the room they were fine with the lower light level, but once the heating system maintained normal household room temperatures, the lower light level was insufficient. Sorry that was unclear!

However, they are too big to go back there this year anyway, and the other rooms with south-facing windows are not options either (bedrooms and music room). Regardless of the reason they didn't do well in the dining room last year, I need to find a way to keep them alive in the garage without running up a massive heating bill.

I need to avoid the obligation to move them in and out frequently. They are big and heavy, and I won't reliably have time in the mornings to move them out. I could move them out during an extended warm spell, but certainly not daily. I also am not comfortable leaving the garage door open, given the number of hungry critters in our neighborhood.

I am currently leaning toward a grow tent, a CFL grow light for 8-10 hours a day, and a small electric heater to keep things above 40F on the coldest of nights.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

That last option is perfect Nck..Go for it..I wish I had warmer temps like you do..They would be outside every day it's warmer than 55 by day..

Your conclusions are right..They do need more light the warmer they are kept at...But a good south facing window does the trick for many.. A sudden change in temp and a missed step in acclimating them to in the indoors would of caused a massive drop of leaves..

It is usually light or a mix that stays too wet the culprit mixed with dry warm indoor temps without moving air.

Jonathan, was that your video, the making of the trellis?
    Thanks if it was, perfect!

Christy, don't fix it if it it's not broken...Do what works for you)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Plenty of people in NC keep their citrus in unheated garages over the winter - as long as it doesn't get below 28 degrees most do fine. But they look like crap the following Spring. In my experience they recover quickly but you do run the risk of losing one of them. They don't naturally have a dormant season but you can force them into one and often after they lose their leaves they bloom big once things warm up. I think the biggest problem is that the torture of being in a dark, cold garage is just too long (sometimes from late Oct to late April).

My tree collection got to big to move around in less than five years so I had to break down and build a permanent shelter (a hoophouse that I close up as tight as possible in the winter). On really cold nights it gets down into the high thirties and most of my trees come through it just fine.

If I were you I would cluster them as near the door as possible and open it up during the sunny part of the day as long as it was above freezing outside. For any periods of super cold weather I would drape clear plastic sheeting over the trees themselves and place a small electric space heater inside the "tent" (making sure the heater doesn't touch the plastic and catch fire). Anything more than a couple of days I would supplement their light, but I would just use shop lights or grow lights and keep it simple. The bulbs have to be really close to the leaves in order to give the plant the light it needs.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I have not hear anything about a basement. this is what I did that worked incredibly well.

The box is 4 ft by 4 foot with a ceiling that could go as high as 8. It used 12 CFL's ranging from 13 to 23 watts.each. The wall were painted high gloss bright wight to "glow" around my trees to make them grow like weeds. I do not know the size of your trees, but the concepts can work for you. See pickture.

You can use the corner of your basement. and increase the size as necessary. Check out the slide show link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/sunshine2013

• nckph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

meyermike, last year I moved the trees onto the porch (full sun for 1/3 the day, part shade for the rest) for about two weeks as the weather cooled off before moving them into the house. Is there anything else I should do? It is what I did in previous years (with the same window and the same soil), and they were fine those years. We will see how the Meyer does this year alone in front of that window -- hopefully it will be sufficient light for one tree!

trianglejohn, I am definitely worried about the "torture of being in a dark, cold garage" (well put!). I have a feeling that in a few years I will be in the same situation as you were, and I will have to build a greenhouse for a more permanent home for the trees.

I really can't leave the door open during the day, especially when I am not at home. I was hoping the grow tent with its reflective interior would help the plants get more out of the grow lights, since I can't place bulbs near to all the leaves.

poncirusguy, I would definitely use a basement if I had one! Much less worry about temperature. Alas, I do not -- they are relatively uncommon in this part of the world.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions!

• HU-851863314
    3 years ago

Hi,

I have two potted lemons. I grow them from seeds for the past two years. last year I kept them near a sunny patio window. This year after enjoying the summer, I brought them inside but frustrated after finding centipedes in the soil. How can I get rid of centipedes? Or can I keep them in the unheated garage with a grow light to not kill the plant. I live in zone 5.

• Ken B Zone 7
    3 years ago

Does it stay above freezing in the garage? I would doubt it in zone 5.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

Centipedes are good to have.

Steve

• HU-851863314
    3 years ago

Are they not poisonous and harmful? I am worried as a mom of two kids. Any solution to get rid of them?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

Assuming you live in the USA our centipedes are harmless and won't leave the soil.

\Steve

• HU-851863314
    3 years ago

Oh ok. Thank. Won’t that multiply and spread in other pots?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

If the pots are in physical contact they might.

Steve

• mmlovedesign
    6 months ago

Question, why was I able to leave all my citrus trees in socal outside in the winter when it most definitely got below 40 at times but in middle TN they recommend bringing them in below 50? I have a whole wall class ceiling to floor west exposure sunroom I intend to bring them into but it’s only 47 at night. Any thoughts