Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhopman_gw

Meyer lemon buds going black and falling off

dhopman
9 years ago

Newbie here in Livermore, CA, looking for some advice from you pros.

I picked up an improved Meyer lemon tree at Costco back in March. It has looked pretty healthy and I get excited with all the flowering going on (there have been multiple waves) but they haven't been turning into lemons yet. They turn into nice yellow pea sized lemons, then start turning brown/black, shriveling and dropping off. Not one single lemon yet.

I used standard potting soil, and it gets 5 minutes of water every 3 days on a 1gph flag emitter. I've given it a couple feeding since purchasing of miracle-gro all-purpose shake 'n feed.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Comments (6)

• dhopman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another pic of the tree. Never mind the tomato plant sneaking in on the left.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Whoa. That tree is stuggling to say the least. The least of your worries are the fruit falling off. Barb did the math for you. Not nearly enough water. I would be flooding that tree until the water runs through it. Then, come back and do it, again. The soil is now probably so dried out it is hydrophobic, so you're going to have to really soak it well a few times to get it to absorb any water. And agree with Barb, bigger pot, better potting medium. I would not use 511, as it is probably too drying for 100% outdoor container citrus in California. I use a modified version: 3 parts MiracleGro Vegetable Soil (has to be this one), 1 part small bark chips (I like either coarse Orchid mix, or reptile bark from Petsmart) and 1 part perlite. You can get the MiracleGro and Perlite at Lowe's or Home Depot, as well as the coarse orchid mix or go to Petsmart and get a big back of reptile bark.

I would NOT use MiracleGro Shake and Feed. I use Osmocote Plus (MUST be the Plus formulation to get the proper NPK ratio and all the micronutrients), and apply it twice a year. I also will use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro full strength once a month.

Barb has given you excellent advice. See if you can get your little tree revived and a nicely developed canopy. Once you have that, it will be able to support fruit production, but not until.

Patty S.

• silica
    9 years ago

The actual fear of over watering a container citrus tree, thinking that by doing so could be the tree's demise has itself caused an untold number of problems. Over watering has never killed a citrus tree. What actually kills the tree is a lack of oxygen at the tree's roots - which is caused by growing the tree in a poor draining medium. When a citrus tree is planted in a highly areable medium, with good dranage it is VERY hard to over water. The blame rightly belongs on a poorly constructed medium and not the water. -S-

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Well said Silica!

What awesome advice you got
    Dhopman...Good luck with your tree)

Mike

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

Bravo Silica - nicely worded.... !

I have damaged multiple citrus from too little water; irrigation failure, heat waves and fear of overwatering. In only one case was there root rot - - - and that was due to a soaker line placement error (too close to the trunk). Recovery can be quick if it was a short duration - or a year. [i have both cases active].

I am not too far from Livermore and so share the climate. I need to water my potted citrus every other day minimum and every chance i get with a heavy soak/ or better yet a saucer under the pot so that they can soak up the water from below. Any extra water in the saucer after an hour or two ... i tip the whole thing over to drain the water out of the saucer.

Good advice given above - - - good luck and be patient.
    -George

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio