Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Question for Josh in CA.

Andrew Scott
10 years ago

Hey Josh. How are ya? I hope things are good on your end. I wanted to ask you a few questions about your Moro Blood Orange. I have wanted to give this tree another try. I bought one along with a navel orange a few years ago. This was before I really understood that citrus need a porous mix to grow in. I actually planted both in that M.G. Cactus and Citrus crap, and both died.

I know you bought your tree from Four Winds. If I cannot get one locally, I will more than likely order mine from them. I just prefer dealing with them , and I know that there trees are of excellent quality.

I would like to know how long you have had your tree, and if your tree has held and matured any fruits yet?

Lastly, I also wanted to know if you have had mature fruits, were you able to get the fruits to ripen to that awesome red color, and was the flesh also red? If I remember correctly, don't they need a cool period to produce that rich red peel and pulp?

I would really like to give one a try, but I am not even sure 100% what variety of blood orange I would choose. I know there are at least 3-4 different varieties. What made you choose the Moro? I also am not sure if would be able to provide the tree with the cool temps to get the red coloring of the pulp and peel.

Depending on what you can share with me, I may nor may not choose to try to grow one. My main reason for wanting to grow one, is that here in western N.Y. blood oranges even when they are in there peak season, they usually sell for $1 each and it's not like buying a ruby red grapefruit! This is the same reason why I am going to buy another cherimoya tree. Cherimoya fruits are my #1 favorite fruit(well tied with mango, and guanabana a.k.a. soursop which are also in the same family as the cherimoya.) and here and even online they sell for about $7.99 a pound! Each fruit is usually well over a pound to!

I always thought that if I ever moved out of N.Y. I would pick Florida, but California also sounds good to me!

If you can help me at all Josh I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Andrew

Comments (2)