Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svanessa_gw

Where can I buy sour orange tree?

svanessa
13 years ago

Hi,

I just bought a home in the San Diego, CA area with a barren 2 acre yard. I plan on several fruit trees but am looking in particular for a sour/bitter (Seville or similar) orange. I can't find a local nursery that carries them or any on the internet. Anyone have a lead? If outside CA can they be imported to this state?

Sour oranges are used to make marmalade and for general cooking/seasoning purposes.

Thanks,

Sue

Comments (13)

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Call your local county cooperative extension agent. Here is a link for CAL.

Here is a link that might be useful: CES Agents

• tmc2009
    13 years ago

Hi, I just learned of this place on this forum. They have sour oranges but I think that they are all dwarf trees.

Good Luck,
    Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Fourwindsgrowers.com

• svanessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom, I don't mind a dwarf for the sour oranges. Other citrus I will want full size.
    Thanks for the lead!
    Sue

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

OSH, Lowes, local nurseries and Home Depot carry the Sour orange trees from both Four Winds and Menlo Growers in NorCal. So, you can start there.

• svanessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, I found a Seville in Fallbrook at Atkins Nursery. They had one 5 gal left and several 15 gal. I picked up the 5 gal.
    Sue

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

I remember reading your original post and wondering what a 'Sour Orange' was, which led to many google searches and lots of learning.

I have a large plant collection and I get rooted cuttings/seedlings or potted plants as gifts all the time and sometimes I remember what they are or keep track of the tags that come with them and sometimes I don't. Long after your post I was digging through the pile of pots of plants that never made it into winter storage because I ran out of time and space in the hoophouse and low and behold one of the survivors was a small Sour Orange - it even had its tag buried in the soil! Last winter was mighty cold here in Raleigh and it never lost a leaf. It may have been sheltered from all the jumble of pots around it or from the slab of asphalt it was sitting on - however it did it, I am amazed at its cold hardiness.

• svanessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi John,
    I was in the same boat, never heard of a sour orange until my mom said grandma used sour oranges in making her linguica (portuguese sausage). Since I can't find a good linguica anywhere, I'm going to try my hand at making some, hence the need of a sour oranges. If the linguica doesn't work out, I hear it makes a killer orange marmalade. :-) The tree I bought has 2 oranges on it and they should ripen in Jan.

Glad your tree survived the cold! Do you know what variety it is? The Seville seems to be the most prevelant.

Sue

• cath41
    13 years ago

'Bouquet de Fleurs' and 'Bergamot' (the latter used in perfumery and Earl Grey tea) are two more sour oranges. Also 18th century recipes were written for sour oranges and not sweet oranges. And that's about all I know about them. Hope it helps.

Cath

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

svenessa - the tag is hand written and only says 'Sour Orange'. The plant was given to me by a friend who picked it up from someone else that is testing all sorts of citrus for cold hardiness (and he lives one state above me!). I am afraid it is a seedling which means it may take forever to make fruit. It handled this past summers blistering heat and drought without a problem and came through weeks of subfreezing temps last winter. I will protect it better this winter - I promise.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Vanessa,
    I' a little late on this thread, but if you're looking for more citrus varieties, especially some of the more unusual ones, try Clausen's or Ganter's. They're both in Vista. Clausen's web site is: http://www.clausennursery.com/. They've been doing citrus and fruit trees out in N. San Diego County for 2 generations, and sell to most of the larger nurseries in SD and Orange Counties. Ganter's web site is: http://www.ganternursery.com/ . They are right across the street from each other. Great sources for citrus and other fruit trees for the San Diego County area.

Patty S.

• Mad Ferret
    13 years ago

Just a quick question, does a calamondim count? as I bought one of these from last summer, on a whim. :0)

• svanessa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A calamondin is thought to be a cross between a tangerine and kumquat. Fruit is sour, skin is sweet...go figure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamondin

• Amy Alexander
    8 years ago

This post is a few years old, but I just found out that most kumquat trees are grafted from sour orange trees. If you don't trim the root ball, the sour orange will take over! Mine's about 12' tall with 20+ fruit. Not to mention the kumquats growing from the original starter plant