Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree leaf Drop

Posted by agent_orange Utah (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 18:46

Hello,
I'm new at citrus however, I have read this forum a few times to get some good information. I have a dwarf Naval orange tree from four winds that is dropping it's leaves. There are no signs of disease and pests. I have it in the 5:1:1 mix and suspect it is adjusting to the weather or over watering from a recent re-potting? I know there are plenty of experts on this forum and would appreciate any advice. Overall the health of the tree looks fine and I probably should just wait and see. Here are some pictures that may help.
Thanks a bundle,
-Scott
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree leaf Drop

If my leaves looked like yours, I would say I was over fertilizing; the other issue, is you being in Utah, you probably recently moved them indoors, so they are adjusting to the difference in sunlight, humidity, and temperature. They will likely recover.

o

Did you at anytime let the mix get too dry?

It looks like at one point it was left too dry and dropped green leaves.
It is almost impossible to over water in the 5.1.1 mix if made correctly an especially in an area where there is abundant sunshine.
Your leaves will most likely display yellowing and then drop if over watering was the culprit.

Mike

o

do you keep it in a sunny window. My first thought was winter leaf drop.

mike

o

Thanks everyone,
I have it in a south facing sunny window and the room seems to get plenty of light. I have a Meyer Lemon from a local Lowes a few weeks ago and it is doing just fine. However, the leaves look a little yellow. I don't think they took very good care of it :( I also have a smaller citrus that is in fact GROWING new leaves at this time and it is a year old and survived last winter. The four winds tree seems like it is just going through an adjustment from sunny California but what do I know? Here are a few pics of my other two trees. Thanks Johnmerr, meyermike, and mksmth. I appreciate your expertise and have read quite a few of your previous posts. All of you seem very knowledgeable when it comes to citrus. I will monitor the watering and see how it does in a few weeks. How often do you water? I think once a week should be fine I'll use a good ol shish kabob to check the moisture.
Photobucket
a href="http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k544/sir_agent_orange/?action=view¤t=DSCF1284.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here