Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enormous flowers on a Meyer branch

Posted by kumquat1 9a N Fla (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 18:58

I am pretty familiar with citrus flowers. I have Meiwa kumquat, Limequat, Thompson grapefruit, Owari Satsuma and another unlabeled satsuma, as well as a Meyer lemon. The Meyer has a water sprout with enormous leaves, not from below the graft. One of these water sprouts had a few huge flowers, bigger than any flower, even the grapefruit. What is up with that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enormous flowers on a Meyer branch

That's the nature of a water sprout. Think "nuclear growth". Just trim it back to the edge of the canopy. It will settle down are revert to more normal everything in about a year or so.

Patty S.

o

could we see a pic plz, i've never seen a huge citrus flower.

o

So will these branches produce fruit different from the parent plant?

o

A qualified yes, as to whether they will produce "different" fruit; the water sprout IS the parent plant, so the fruit will still be a Meyer; however, it will typically be larger and with a thicker/rougher skin.

I would trim the water sprout back to the level of the canopy as Patty suggested, even if that means sacrificing the fruit.

o

I'm new to the forum and I have a Meyer lemon tree. Where can I learn about a water sprout? Thanks, all.

o

It was last Spring and I panicked. Cut the sprout off. Now more sprouts and I am wondering what to do. Thanks for all your input.If I get another big flower next time it fires off a big one, I will photograph and post.

o

Eve, you're better off starting your own message thread, instead of tacking onto this one, but in general, citrus do this on occasion. When they're extremely happy :-) Some cultivars tend to send up water sprouts more frequently that others (lemons). They often happen in young trees, or older trees that are being revived. It they are not providing symmetry, then trim them back to the trunk. If they are providing a nice symmetry to your tree, simply cut them back to the canopy edge. They will settle down and become normal branches. There is some argument that the attachment of a water sprout at the trunk is weaker than a normal branch. I have not found that to be the case with my trees, nor can I find any supporting documentation for that theory, and I am still trying to research that notion. For now, if the water sprout suits the tree, then it stays. If not, I trim it at the trunk.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here