Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emachado19

is this branch below the graft line?

emachado19
9 years ago

I've had this Eureka Lemon tree since april and have learned a ton from the people who participate on this board. I have always been skeptical of this branch but it seems exactly the same as the others. Its the only branch that doesnt seem to have any lemons growing on it though. I almost took it off once but decided to wait.. The tree is going through another big flush and this branch seems to be doing quite well...

Do you guys think this is a rootstock branch?

Comments (18)

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a broader pic..

• pecanman
    9 years ago

Delete this post, the plant could be from a rooted cutting

This post was edited by pecanman on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 20:18

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darn! I was afraid of that! How is it possible that the leaves look identical to the eureka branches and leaves?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

No, I don't think so. I think your tree is planted very deeply, and possibly the graft line is below the soil. I don't see any graft line. Lemons are usually grafted to something very similar (Yuma Ponderosa, Volkameriana, Rough Lemon, Macrophylla), Eureka is almost always grafted to either Volk or Yuma Ponderosa. And the leaves and growth habits will look very similar. The fruit will be different - usually thicker skin, more seeds from the rootstock, and much more sour/bitter. I would wait until the fruit ripens on that branch, and compare it to the fruit on the rest of your tree. That will be the deciding factor. But, from what I can see in your photos, the graft line appears to be under the soil.

Patty S.

• User
    9 years ago

Bullie,
    pecanman is absolutely right.
    I can see the graft line, its clear in the pic.
    Cut the branch off at the bottom, you know where the graft
    line is.
    Its not planted too deep.
    Or not, its up to you.
    Its your plant.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i will cut it at the graft line if its the rootstock. The branch is the only one without fruit on it. I will wait for a couple of more replies from the pros before chopping but its looking that way....

it looks normal and healthy thou

9 years ago

That does not appear to be a graft line, butterfly. It is simply a line. I've never seen a horizontal graft line (I graft, do you?) I have over 100 citrus trees on my property, bullie, and I've grafted plenty. I would gently dig down under the soil line to see if you can identify the graft line. It is very possible this tree was not even grafted, and started as a cutting. Can you contact the origial seller to see if this is even a grafted tree? Lemons start easily from cuttings. As I said, this does not look like a graft line to me, but it's your tree, and your decision, of course.

Patty S.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks patty but I been debating cutting the branch for long already that I may as well just leave it on. The trunk is pretty thick and I actually added a layer of top soil because the tree barely had any... The only thing that worries me about the branch is that its the only branch that hasn't flowered but always seems to get new growth.. Other branches are producing new growth and flowers as well... Forum seems kind of split on this..

• softmentor
    9 years ago

I'm with hoosierquilt on this one. Looks like just a line, not a graft. Probably a seedling or cutting plant. I would still prune that little low branch to give more strength to the stronger branches. Do not be afraid to so some light, selective pruning on young citrus. Select and keep the strongest branches, prune out the weak ones.
    Also later, as the tree grows bigger, if as you get long candelabra branches, prune them back a lot, back to only 12 inches. This will give you a good strong structure and you will get 2, 3 or 4 more branches from that 12 inch section.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Is it just me, or does your tree not look like a Eureka lemon?

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

johnmer what does it look like?

I believe the tree is already several years old from Buck Farms Florida. Here is another pic from earlier this year.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While I am on here asking, can anyone tell me what those white spots are? they don't come off... I regularly spray with fish emulsion and just lately started an anti fungal on the tree... the tree had all sorts off issues when I get including LM and probably some fungal issues as well.... New growth spurts have all been great except this last one got hammered hard by new LM's in September

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Don't spray anything unless you are sure you know what the problem is.

Tree needs a bigger pot and may need to be fertilized. If one of the branches is from a rootstock it will become more apparent over time, you don't necessarily have to do anything about it right now. When leaving rootstock sprouts is a problem is when, probably quite some years later, the rootstock is taking over and pushing the scion aside/shading it out.

That said, in your last picture the foliage in the part nearest the post looks quite different from the part with the fruit. Next I would want to view the specimen in person before I tried to make a decision.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

In the last picture it looks like a Eureka; but the first had round fruit and big, odd shaped leaves.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the big fruit is just the camera angle.. The leaves seem to be curling on me as of lately I am unsure the cause. I have my ups and downs with this tree but only owning it since April... I'm pretty sure it needs repotted but I am in the process of moving into a new home and didnt want to repot it and then weeks later plant it in the ground so I have been holding off.

This is the tree when i first received it...

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright guys I came home and dug in a little deeper and took a pic, here you go...maybe it isnt the rootstock after all? The trunk seems pretty think I'm curious as to the age of the tree..

9 years ago

No graft in the last photo. It looks like a Eureka to me, too. I'm suspecting it was grown by cutting, but only the grower can tell you for sure. I would contact the company you bought the tree from and ask. That way, the debate will end :-)

Patty S.

• houstontexas123
    9 years ago

i say its a cutting.