Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karanb1r

I spotted an Asian Citrus Psyllid? Chances of contacting HLB????

karanb1r
11 years ago

So went outside to see how my graft was coming along, and I spotted a weird bug. From what i saw in pictures it looked like an Asian Citrus Phyllid sitting on my grafted shoot. I took out my phone and took a couple pics,, kinda blurry. Anyways, I am almost certain that it was a phyllid, but not 100%.

I live in Los Angeles and I know they are heading toward us, and the question is.. If I spot one, does that mean I most likely have HLB?

Should I remove that shoot?

I sprayed with some bug spray and it flew off.

Please advise me on what I should do!!!!

{{gwi:637870}}

{{gwi:637871}}

Comments (18)

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Contracting* title fix

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

I just finished a week long course on citrus management in which the absolute horrors of HLB in Florida, Cuba, and Mexico were discussed at length. This bug certainly looks like an ACP (Diaphorina citri); but I am not an entymologist. To get HLB you need two things, the ACP (the vector), AND the bacteria (Candidatus Liberibacter); both have been known to exist in California for some time, so it was inevitable that they would eventually get together... hence the recent discovery of HLB in California. The presence of the ACP does not mean HLB, unless there are infected trees nearby. Please contact your local Ag Extension and county ag commissioner to keep the information flowing.

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok after further research maybe it was something else????

I saw a site and said that the acp are 1/6 to 1/8 inches in size but the one I saw was easily over half an inch more like .75 inches.

Any thoughts????

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks John I will contact them soon and try to find out more.

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Looks to be a rather large leafhopper of some kind. I would kill it with a spritz of soapy water or finger smash it. I know of no beneficial insect that looks like that. The Asian Citrus Psyllid responsible for citrus greening has an entirely different profile as well.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Looks like a Glassy Winged Sharpshooter, to me, though there are about a bazillion species of leafhoppers. As mrclint suggested, a good sized leaf hopper species known to be a pest in California. Once you see a psyllid in person, you'll be able to see the difference easily.

Click on the attached link to compare images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glassy Winged Sharpshooter

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

That's not the ACP. I agree with Rhizo, it appears to be some sharpshooter, of which we have many. Sharpshooters like to live in citrus trees. I have provided a link to show you what the ACP looks like. This link has some of the very best photos on the ACP I have seen. They are very, very distinctive. They sit on the undersides of the leaves with their little butts in the air at a 45 degree angle, cannot miss this. If you do see anything that looks like the images in the below link, here is a link to treatment suggestions from the UC IPM site: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/EXOTIC/diaphorinacitri.html And, you should call your local CDFA agent right away for further ID, treatment options, and testing for HLB.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phillip's Natural Wold: Threat to California Citrus

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Look here for images and detailed description -- adult length is 3-4 mm. (An inch = 24.5 mm.)

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/citrus/acpsyllid.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: nasty psyllid - Diaphorina citri

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys!!

Is there anything to do to prevent these bugs from touching my trees?

I had a scare there and now it has prompted me to try and prevent these suckers from coming towards me.

Anything I can do?

11 years ago

Well, can you prevent them from coming to you? The answer to that would be, no. They fly, they get spread by the wind, they will eventually spread throughout California. Can we try to manage our citrus trees to kill them when (not if) they arrive in our yards? A qualified, yes. And by qualified, here's the issue: You can manage your yard by following the guidelines I provided to you in my previous message from UC IPM. But, if you've got the "bad neighbor" set up (i.e., your neighbors do not manage their trees), you're fighting an uphill battle. So, the best tack to take, is to watch your trees carefully. Set insect traps to see what you can trap. When your find the ACP, you can then begin to treat by the guidelines provided by UC IPM, and be sure to call the CDFA to have your trees inspected for both ACP and tested for HLB. And hope and pray that all the HLB research going on right now will provide some protective measures for all of us home citrus growers in the next year. They are very, very actively pursuing some great research out there on many fronts, I am very hopeful for one research project in particular. And that is the use of the Tristeza virus of all things. That researcher has found a way to de-pathogenize the virus, and use it as a mechanism with which to bring in another virus that attacks the bacterium responsible for causing HLB. It kills the HLB virus, and continues to kill it if it tries to enter the tree, again, from an infected ACP. You essentially are "innoculating" your trees againist HLB. It is a high tech "silver bullet". Fascinating research, and just one of several going on simultaneously at the moment.

Patty S.

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Patty you are so knowledgeable!!!

Thanks!!

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo you are 100% right!!!

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier!!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You're welcome X 3! ;-)

• descargaelbano
    11 years ago

I saw this bug in the news yesterday and I spotted and took a picture of this psylid on my Bhuddas Hand citrus today in south Florida. I thought the plant just had a nutrient deficiency because of the yellow spots on the leaves. My key lime tree that I planted 10 years ago from seed had what I though were thrips over it during the summer but It was sprayed with malathion by someone to get rid of them. Now that I know that this is really what was on my key lime what should I do, cut down both trees and burn them in my bonfire tonight? I checked my Finger lime, sambo lemon, sweet kumquat, Mergans grapefruit and both of my calamansi and they still look good. I also have pics of the yellow splotchy leaves and the yellow and white bugs on the bottoms of the leaves to post

• descargaelbano
    11 years ago

babies?

• descargaelbano
    11 years ago

HLB disease?

11 years ago

Very possibly, descarga. I would call your county extension office right away and have the tree tested. As well as get instructions on how to treat for ACP.

Patty S.