Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oranges Splitting on tree before ripe?

Posted by Jrivera61 Southern Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 19:26

Can anyone tell me why my oranges are splitting open before they are ripe on the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oranges Splitting on tree before ripe?

Well, if we had a foto or three, we could give you a better guess. Could be lack of water, over watering, lack of Calcium... a common cause... could be a fruit sucking critter... like a mite, a scale, a mold.

The answer is... there are lots of answers; if we knew more, like where you live, what is the weather, is the plant in a container or inground, how do you take care of it, what is the variety, what kind of rootstock do you have, stuff like that.

o

For you, based on where you are and your recent weather, I would say it has to do with uneven watering. Certain varieties are much more prone to splitting, like navel oranges, for example. I had some issues with my Page mandarin doing this, when our temps zoomed up for a week. Just a few, but it's frustrating to see. The best I can tell you, especially living in Texas, where you can have some really blistering temps, followed by really significant rainfall with your thunderstorms that can roll through, is to be sure to water well during your high temps, to even out those highs and lows with precipitation. I think this summer it was almost unavoidable to some extent for those of us in the southwest.

Patty S.

o

see this
http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: split citrus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here