Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

repotted Mandarin/cutie seedling

It little root came out the bottom of its pot so time to Repoted.
Trace

Comments (15)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

It looks like your the king of seed grown citrus. I never thought about a cutie. Is this the fall cutie or the winter cutie. It' will be neat to see how it does

Congratulations on your success.

Steve

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u steve its Fallish lol dont know about king but thanks. In 3yrs or so maybe I get fruit from some of them.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 23:55

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

If it's the early fall cutie then it is probably a satsuma, they're the earliest of the mandarins to be ripe. Unless it's from south America (it will say on the bag where it's from) then it would probably be a murcott or tango type of mandarin.
    Evan

Original Author
    9 years ago

If I remember it was frome chile not sure.
    Trace

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Probably takes 5-7 years , never heard of a seedling bearing in 3 years-- but then there is a lot that I haven't heard of yet

Need 8-10 flushes of new growth-- node count

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Remember, there is no such thing as a "Cutie", it is a marketing term. The "Cuties" make up about 2 to 3 different cultivars that all ripen at different times: Clementines (not satsumas, then are not part of the "Cutie" line up), W. Murcott Afourer, Tango, in that order of ripening. These cultivars have 3 things in common: small, easy to peel, seedless. And, they're all very sweet. So, depending upon when you bought your store-bought "Cutie", it could be any one of these three cultivars, Trace. Very nice little seedling, btw.

Patty S.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep I know there's no such thing as a cutie that's why I put cutie/ Mandarin but thank you for the heads up. Thank u for comments hoosierquilt it is a cute tree. I know Its some kind of Mandarin but still really cute I know tree is 3-5 months old forgot when I sprouted it. I'm leaning toward Clementine as what it is.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 19:42

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Just bought a bag of these at costco, looks like sun kist is growing the satsumas commercially.

{{gwi:637901}}

{{gwi:637904}}

Evan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep I have a seedling from those but this one wasn't thanks for update.
    Trace

9 years ago

Evan, most likely just marketed by Sunkist, purchased from USA commercial satsuma growers. I think citrus, especially mandarins, are really seeing a renaissance here in the USA, as parents try to find healthier snacks for their kiddos. One of the reasons the "Cutie" marketing ploy to sell small, seedless, easy to peel super sweet mandarin cultivars has seen such success. I find this funny. I've always had a love affair with that type of mandarin. Growing up as a kid in Orange County, I always looked forward to my little Clementine mandarin tucked into the toe of my Christmas stocking. It was better than candy. We had citrus all the time, the first house I lived in (and was born in), was built in an old Valencia orange orchard. My dad went to the developer and told him not to take out all the beautiful orange trees - to leave a few in each backyard. That it would sell the houses faster. The builder did, it did sell the homes faster, and we had 3 or 4 beautiful orange trees in our yard, and had fresh OJ every morning. Fond memories of citrus as a kid.

Patty S.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Yeah my mom grew up in the riverside/ Moreno valley area and she used to tell me stories of when you could see nothing but orange groves/ citrus farms for as far as the eye could see. Even I remember driving through Moreno valley in the early 1980's and still seeing citrus groves all through perris and up to the 10/60 split. Now it's a sketchers outlet, some car dealerships and housing tracts.
    Evan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Patty California is a great place live there 12 yrs that's where the citrus bug bit me lol. And I have loved citrus trees ever since LOL. Great memories for sure.

9 years ago

Evan, we lived in Moreno Valley in the early 80's as well. My hubby and I used to drive through Moreno Valley even earlier, in the early to mid-70's to go rock climbing up at Joshua tree (it was called Sunnymead back then). It was nothing but miles of citrus groves on either side of the 60. Mostly lemon groves. In the spring the smell would be simply intoxicating, we drive really slowly through the valley with the windows down. I remember those days, and was so sad to see all the orchards cut down to make room for houses. I lived in one of those, and we were always so sad about those beautiful orchards all cut down.

And Trace, love your "stocking", lol!! My Christmas stocking was a bit more, ahem, traditional, but heck, any stocking will do.

Patty S.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Not mine Patty lol but thought it was funny found it on Google lmao.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I think we have Spain to thank for the growing interest in Clemantines.

They have a good climate for them and they seem to ship fairly well -- at least to our East Coast where they seem to be more popular now than California navels.

Probably because CA navels are so darn expensive now and you never know if you're going to get a good one or a dried out one.