Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When Will My Oranges Be Ripe?

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 19:31

I have a Louisiana Sweet orange tree that's gotten big enough that I left the oranges on it this past spring after it bloomed. They've been growing gradually since then, and are now about the size of average oranges, but they're still green. When should I harvest these oranges? Will a freeze, light or hard, make the fruit inedible, so I should pull them off before a freeze? I've had my tree for about ?4 years - it was about 3' tall when I planted it. It's lost some leaves every winter from our occasional freezes, but the branches don't die back, and when spring comes, it just makes new leaves to replace the old ones, plus lots of new growth.
I'd like to harvest the oranges at the right time.
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When Will My Oranges Be Ripe?

Sherry, I don't have a definate answer, and hope someone chimes in, but if you pick fruit when unripe, especially since oranges are green, they won't ever ripen, 'off the tree.'
On average, citrus are picked around Nov-Dec. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck, Toni

o

Thanks, Toni!
Louisiana oranges and satsumas show up in the grocery stores around Christmas, but last year I left two oranges on the tree, picked them around Christmas, and they were bitter. We had had a light freeze, so I wondered if maybe the cold temps ruined the juice. If we have a freeze before mid-December, I think I'll pick some before it occurs and leave the rest to see what happens. Hopefully, there won't be any freezes before December, giving them plenty of time to ripen.
Sherry

o

I've heard that where the stem meets the orange, that when that turns brown the orange is ripe. Have 4 orange trees and the oranges are either orange or almost orange so I would like some advice on when to start picking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here