Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tangerine Tree Cold Hardiness

Posted by Parkboy126 none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 19:32

Hello, I have a tangerine tree that I just acquired from my mother that planted this tree from a seed from a tree that she has had for 25-30 yrs. She recently moved from Los Angeles to TN and wanted to grow some seedlings from this tree to take with her. Well she gave me one of the seedlings that is about 3yrs old. Well my problem is I live in zone 6 and Im not sure If this tree will live survive here if I plant it or should I just keep it in the pot and bring it in every winter. Ive asked her if she knew anything else about the variety of tangerine or anything else but she said all she remembers is that she bought it at the local swap meet for $5 and it said tangerine on the pot. LOL Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tangerine Tree Cold Hardiness

"Tangerine" includes quite a wide spectrum of varieties, with varying cold-hardiness. But it's safe to say that none of them would survive zone 6. If it were one of the Satsuma types, it might take down into the mid-teens if fully hardened. 'Dancy' types might to into the lower 20s F. Hybrid mandarin types would more likely be mid- to upper 20s in hardiness. Any of these might survive somewhat lower temperatures with serious wood damage, but none would likely make it through single-digit (F) temperatures.

o

Just keep it in a pot. It is from seed so it is not going to be identical to the original tree.

o

Actually nearly all of the mandarin types do come true-to-type from seed, from nucellar (clonal) embryos. Clementine and King are the only exceptions I can think of (and Temple, if we include known hybrids)

o

So at what temp do I need to start bringing it in? Thanks alot everyone for your help.

o

For a potted tree, I'd avoid frost. Certainly lower than upper 20s F would make me nervous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here