Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Any opinions on these citrus varieties)?

bonechickchris
11 years ago

Hi there,

Although I do not post much, I frequently read posts in this forum. I usally try to find my info in older posts so I do not make the people helping with their info have to answer posts multiple times on the same subject.

However, there are a few varieties of citrus that I have been unable to find little or any info on here. So I was wondering if any of you have had experience with any of the following citrus varieties, and if you liked it, hated it, just ok, easy or hard to grow, etc.

Tahitian Orange (Citrus x limonia Otaheite)

Sweet Lemon (Citrus ujukitsu)

Palestine Sweet Lime (Citrus aurantifolia hybrid)

I have seen info about this one with mixed reviews, so I thought i would mention it

Citrus Limequat (Citrus x floridana)

Thank you much! Christy

Comments (9)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I have a Palestine Lime, and not a fan. It tastes a lot like watered down lemonade. If you're from the Middle East, you'll have a different opinion than I do, being an American and liking my citrus with a nice rich combination of sweet and sour.

Patty S.

• Ryan
    11 years ago

Agree with Patty on Palestine Lime, I had one but tossed it because of the lack of taste. Its got no acid and its not very sweet either, just kind of watery and bland.

A friend from Texas sent me a few ujukitsu fruit last year and they are good. Sweet, large, lemonade tasting with a tiny grapefruit aroma, probably very nice looking tree with large yellow fruit when ripe.

You cant go wrong with Limequat. Fruit is abundant, trees are always blooming/fruiting. Fruit is moderately useful though, they tend to be small. Keep this one in a container or you will be overwhelmed with fruit. Some consider this a good choice as a key lime substitute if your climate is on the cool side.

• jacklord
    11 years ago

I grabbed some Sweet Limes from Balduccis and they were very tasty. I planted one seedling and it is doing well though it grows slowly.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the info so far. i think I will stray away from the palestine lime.
    Limequat sounds really good since it tollerates a cooler environment.
    Ever heard of th tahitain Orange though? It is suppose to be more like a sweet lime, even though it is orange.
    thanks for the info!christy

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Just curious if folks are using sweet limes when they are yellow ripe. I don't grow them myself, but have bought them from a local grower and found them to be very good.

• palmfan
    9 years ago

The Tahitian orange (a.k.a. 'Otaheite' Orange) is a choice ornamental citrus for pot culture. Its deep orange fruit hangs on the plant for months! It is not flavorful, however., so don't expect a memorable treat if you grow this variety for fresh eating, or for juice.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I have Clint and I still do not care for them at all. Very insipid, like eating watered down lemonade. However, my husband quite likes them. So, the tree stays :-)

Patty S.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

I have an Ujukitsu. It is on trifoliate but it grows like crazy and has to be pruned heavily almost every year. The fruit used to be very sweet and delicious but have degraded over the last few years. They are now dry. It used to be one of my favorites. They are being sold at the Master gardener sales around Houston on some years now. Mine came from The Rio Grande Valley over a decade ago.

I have had three different kinds of limequats. There is supposed to be a really good strain of Lakeland limequat out there. But mine was not very good. The Tavares was really bitter. There was also another Florida variety named after a small city there but it was also poor quality. I can't remember the name now but I would recognize it if I saw it.

So called sweet limes are neither sweet, nor limes. They are supposed to be really bad mandarines and are used for rootstock in many places.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

I found the other limequat. It was a Eustice. I called it a "Useless limequat" since I did not care for it either. You can guess by now I'm pretty hard on them. They were sold as being tasty as West Indian (Key/Mexican) limes but with the cold hardiness of kumquats. Well none of that is so, so I got rid of them.