Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Blood Orange

Posted by juventusopp none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 20:52

Hello,

I have a blood orange tree that is in need of repotting (roots creeping above soil and in small pot). It currently has a few developing oranges about the size of baseballs on it and lots of flowers and new fruit on its way. Question is can I repot now or no because it has fruit on it etc.? Rootstock is swingle. Was fertilized about one week ago. Obviously I don't want to lose the fruit and or hurt the plant.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Blood Orange

Its possible to repot, just be careful for transplant shock. I would hold off until u have more detailed post from experienced people. I still consider myself a rookie

Joe

o

I just bought a new Clementine Orange a few weeks ago and it came in a small 4 inch pot, I repotted in a nice size pot with high quality citrus soil, I gave it water with a very diluted dose of water soluble fertilizer and it seems to be doing great even has new growth, It didn't have fruit or flowers on it at the time but The plant did not seem to be stressed out.

o

I just bought a new Clementine Orange a few weeks ago and it came in a small 4 inch pot, I repotted in a nice size pot with high quality citrus soil, I gave it water with a very diluted dose of water soluble fertilizer and it seems to be doing great even has new growth, It didn't have fruit or flowers on it at the time but The plant did not seem to be stressed out.

o

If it were mine and knowing that the mix is not going to stay wet for long since it is root bound...

I would just pot up into a mix similar to the one it's in and do a complete 'repot' come the spring.....

MIke

o

Ya it's root bound for sure. Always dry. Tree is completely healthy but I may just put some similar soil and wait. Thanks all.

o

I agree with Mike.
Sounds like you should pot up with as little root disturbance as possible, and then do a formal re-potting in the Spring...unless now is Spring wherever you are.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here