poncirusguy6b452xx

Bugs 7

I just made it up. I looked at my hunt an peck keboard and saw the V

Steve

Comments (151)

• maggyby
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is the lady slipper Path Fremont Peak ' HOF x Path Hsinying Rubyweb Rasin' I love the foilage and a bloom is just emerging.Maggy

This post was edited by maggyby on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 15:23

• maggyby
    9 years ago

I will be glad when I can submit longer posts without crashing. My new Phalenopsis .taida Peoker . Thinking of you all. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy. just AWESOME!! Nothing wrong with the orchid fever, is there? lol

That is one on my favorites orchids on earth..The "Twinkle'..I have many different kinds and they all smell so good...Enjoy it while it lasts, then keep it in a nice well lit area...It will flower again for you very soon if it's happy. Many of mine bloom two to three times a year))

Maggy, I am very surprised your Ipad is doing that. I thank goodness never had that issue..Can you call the Apple Techinal Support people? They can remotely help you now. They will access your computer directly if gievn permission and walk you through the fix up..It could be something simple and you would not have to buy another.

By the way, nice picture taking and beautful plants...Thinking of you too)

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 15:29

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike, the issue is I don't have enough GB. The update took up all my free space. I deleted programs ,pictures. But the pictures that were loaded from my old notebook ( now broken) cannot be deleted. They are taking too much space Only those I took with ipad can be deleted so when I am writing I run out of room and crash. I am going to see if I can get help tomorrow.
    Thinking of you and.your Mom.
    Mike I love the " twinkle" They were sold out except for this kind. Will try and see if I can get to the show early next week to see if I can get some other colours . I prefer the smaller orchids .
    Soon as I get things sorted I will post in reply to you. Have a great evening. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Mikey love you right back buddy . What I love about this group is that we are not afraid to show our emotions and laugh a bit and wish people well when they are not feeling there best . I love coming to this posting because of the people that post here I always look forward to talking to everyone of you everyday . I find some other postings robotic no fun I would pick up a book all about citrus if I wanted that . I find that to bad because I know there are lots of nice people on the citrus forum . Crazy day trying to get the cactus in extremely large and heavy here is a pick of where we put our almost 20 ft cactus . Glad to here that your thinking of bringing the trees in . They are still calling for snow here next weekend ugh . I do have a coil heater I will have to set it on a timer for the night and set the other a little lower or something . Looking forward on seeing your
    Michelia tree . Your right I don't think Maggy would make us sloppy joe's lol maybe homemade beans love those . Mikey your right I think the clemenules naturally grow that beautiful shape it was a stick when I bought it and a year later looked like that very fast growing . Mikey all my trees your going to hate me but are in regular potting soil . This year I went all out and bought pro mix which I mixed with fafard potting mix seems to be working out very well . The trees have been in the GH for almost 2 months now and they still look great . Bo sounds like a real friend Sugar does the exact same things they sure are our best buddies. Very interesting that Bo loves the shower cats are not to fond of getting wet . Sugar always follows me to into the bathroom but as soon as I turn the shower faucet on its head for the hills . I think your Frogs love you buddy I guess they can also sense what a kind gentle person you are . I guess I got my new Halloween costume today I gave myself a haircut and it didn't work out so good , I guess I am handing out the candies this year since I am already wearing my costume pretty scary lol. We are going to watch of course scary movies on Halloween . Are you going to go to a club ? Without a doubt Halloween is the best night to go out . Mike hope your Mom is adjusting to having your dad home . It is a major adjustment and guess who is smack dab in the middle . Try to take it easy my friend when things start to become a little uncomfortable between your mom and dad . Big hugs to you and your mom Mikey have a great night my friend . Maggy your new orchids are so beautiful . We were at Rona earlier today and saw one very similar to the bottom one except it was more purple and white I took a picture of it I will show you later . The top one is gorgeous is that the one that has the chocolate scent . Glad your feeling better now poor Cory has the flu and we all know that's not very fun . Maggy I always have a chuckle when you post lost another one . Funny but not funny all I have to say is I better not loose this one because I have been writing for an hour now or least it feels like that . I am such a slow writer . Maggy darling enjoy your glazed ham and don't forget the wine .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Friends . Had a nap I have been thinking about you Cory..
    And how tired you must be. You are part of this family here and we care about you.
    Brian said it so well. I too love coming to this group. Hearing what you all have to say ,love all that is shared here and the easy with which we all communicate ,the experience and knowledge that benifits all and we mustn't forget the humour. Very warm and caring indeed.
    Brian I love you clemenules tree. You know I will never refuse any cuttings you want to share.I will try to root some cuttings for you in the spring but might need some advise as I seem to kill them. You and Mike seem to have great success. I do see the key lime seeds grew. I read that they are the only citrus grown from seed that will fruit in two years. Is that true? Now if I could only get cuttings to grow! I will check with Dave in the spring to see what new citrus he has this year.
    That is quite the cactus. Wow! How did you ever get it inside. How old is it. ?
    That would never fit in the greenhouse.
    Brian I was writing for an hour this morning when I lost everything. How do you cut your own hair . ? You are so funny. My husband had his hair cut yesterday and he just said " I love this hair cut and I don't even have to comb it" LOL I didn't tell him but he does have any hair to comb .
    My pups are the same . Buddy especially if I go upstairs he is like a shadow. I look and there he is, goes with me to the bathroom and he loves the greenhouse. One of these days he is going to get shut in there.they both never leave my side if I am not feeling well. No matter where I am they are touching me. Teddy loves a puppy massage. He closes his eyes and make loud groans . He is too funny
    Well going to have some ham and cheesy potato's . Not healthy but good.
    Have a great night . You are a wonderful person .Mike going to read all your posts now Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy thanks for the big laugh tonight . I think guys are worse than the gals when it comes to hair lol. Just came in from outside I took Sugar for a long walk . Looks like frost for just about everyone this coming weekend take care of your plants . Good night Steve where ever you are . Good night Cory lots of bed time for you for the next few days . Good night Mikey and Mom .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Guys, a quick note. We are celebrating our 5 th wedding anniversity . Cory, how are you ? Are you still feeling unwell? Sending you my wishes for a speedy recovery. My husband loved the car starter.
    Brian, glad you had a good laugh.
    Mike I will write you a long email when I get a chance. And I get my iPad to co- operate.
    Hi to you Steve.
    Having steak and lobster tonight.
    Have a great evening my friends.
    Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi guys I thought I better post early my tv shows are on tonight . Hope Maggy and Cory are feeling better today . Here is a picture I had of an orchid not sure what type and if anyone knows please let me know i find it cute and I'm sure this flower is smiling at me . A beautiful day here in Ottawa lots of sun they are calling for Mikey's favorite weather tonight and tomorrow lots of rain and thunder . Still calling for light snow Friday night . Maybe the kids will need to snow shovel to get to the door . Maggy I used my crock pot for the first time last night so we would have dinner ready when we got home tonight . The house smelled so good last night that I had a hard time falling asleep . Maggy is the breathing better today and did you get lots of rest . Same Cory hope you got lots of rest today . My good friend at work left early today from the stomach flu lots of stuff going around . Maggy Cory Mikey Steve and of course mom have a great night .

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Brian, is that your orchid???? Marvelous buddy!! That deserves a high5!!! It's beautiful.

Maggy and Cory, you are right, I hope they get better..I have no idea of what's going around and to hear of a stomach flu, sheesh..I have not gotten anything yet, thank goodness..Anything that makes us sick is ten times worst than we were younger for sure...I hate it.
    Every time I start to get that post nasal drip, before it turns my lungs into a hacking machine, I jump right on Suedofed!

Brian, may I ask what you made in that Crock Pot? How and teach me...Tell me what it is and if I like it, I'll ask you for instrcutions..It sounds yummy, every thing you make.

Are you serious about thunder? That's unheard of here even in September but did happen last week...It is strange that you get them so late so often, especially after a frost...Wish I could enjoy that.
    I hear you about a good tv nigt..lol What are your shows..? I blow off my workouts for them.
    The Voice, then The Blacklist and I think another. Do you like 'The Grimm", '100' and ' Forever'? lol
    I miss my 'Game of Thrones'..

Snow enough to shovel.. Please, stop speaking of this or I will find some way to hang your decorated fig tree outside in that snow..lol

Brian, how in the world did you get that cactus in the house without getting pricked to death? How did you carry that thing? Is it worth all that work..It take forever to grow, when it gets to big, you can't cut it back, it does not flower, but I am guessing it has sentimental value? I threw out tons of my cactu and succulents and got rid of many more last month..No room anymore.

So you are already wearing your costume..Come on and let us see..lol Maybe I will stick my Masquerade face on and take a pic for you..lol
    I can't imagine your hair looking that bad.lol
    Oh yeah, the frogs just love me..They were out yesterday saying their farewells before taking a sleep for months, although they have been fooled since tomorrow will be 70 again..lol They sit on the sunniest rocks trying to warm up., then make smores at night by the fire...

How was the weather there today? How's the trees doing inside? I bought one of them pocket hoses you see advertised that grow about 3 x bigger then shrink..LOVE it..I can just wrap it up so easily and keep it out from the cold. Then I can hook it up to the faucet in my basement and it reaches to the plant room upstairs. It will save me so much leg work in watering my plants all over..I love it.

Hey, hugs to you bud and I hope to talk to you soon...

Where are your fig trees now? Did they defoliate yet?

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy..HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Boy, does that food sound so good..I wish I could be there to celebrate with you!

I look forward to your response to what I wrote..I hate those darn computer issues..I hope it gets better for you and that you feel better.

Yes, your stories inspire me and you are such a wonderful person...I am so glad I met all of you here. I don't have these kinds of friends locally, trust me. Cory and you have gifted me when no one else in years..)

MIke

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

First off . Happy anniversary to you happy anniversary to you happy anniversary happy anniversary happy anniversary to Maggy . Surf and turf yummy yummy yummy . We are having the turf tonight . Mikey we did a roast beef . First time we used it easy . Just place the vegetables on the bottom beef on top with butter on the beef then we set in on low which takes about 12 hrs . We put it on at 6.00 PM it was ready at 6.00 am . The house still smelt great when I got home . Mikey do you like our weather ? Calling for thunderstorms all day and night tomorrow I keep talking to the clouds no not here there is someone in Boston that would really like you to come over darn clouds never listen . Mikey just checked one of the many forcast that are out there and they are now calling for 2 to 4 inches of snow if it happens I will post pics . Mike that cactus what a pain . It took us an hour , a half an hour of arguing on how to get the thing in then 20 minutes to actually get it in then another 10 minutes to pull the thorns out of our arms you would laugh . Mikey how Do you write so fast that is amazing buddy . What you wrote would take me 2 hrs I am so slow . We used to watch Grimm all the time now we watch Gotham and sleepy hallow love both of those shows . That hose sounds interesting I don't know about using the outside faucet it just gets way to cold here . How is everything at home no arguing I hope I bet you wished you had a bigger house poor you . Now don't you push those frogs into the campfire I am sure there are lots of restaurants in Boston that serves frog legs remember their your friend .Mikey always love talking to you have a great night my friend have to go now and peel some potatoes . Maggy are you guys on to the main course now ? Have a beautiful night you to .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone.

My computer lost its monitor for two days dealing with a colonoscopy. The end results were no polyps, and minor divers ticulitis. The monitor is back and I can read and respond.

I have finished the east wall. I now have to caulk the leaks and insulate the non glass sections of the east wall.

Nice flowers and cactus.

Maggy your flowers seem to do so well. One of them is upside down.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello all. I have a very bad flu and don't feel up to writing much. Saying hello. Will write more when I feel better.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi friends, I have been working on clearing some space on my iPad. Not ignoring you. Almost done . Having a bad asthma day but thinking of you all.
    Will try and post tonight.if I can get my breathing improved.
    Cory sorry you are still ill. Steve glad your colonospy was negative. Good stuff .
    Mike I have lots to write you and Brian in answer to your emails Thank you for the best wishes yesterday. It was a special day for us . A milestone of 5 years . Hope you all have a nice evening. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

My goodness! Maggy and Cory, all this wishing you guys to get better is not working! Do I have to come over there and give you all a personal massages and clear up your sinuses?

I hope to goodness you both get better. I am so sad to hear you have the Flu Cory and the Asthma thing has to stop you poor thing Maggy(

No worries...I miss you two and Biran my pal. I will be writing you shortly. I just realized the time and I have to start locking up here at work...It was so nice today. 70 degrees...You are right, I think this is the last week I will see how good my yard looks..They are calling for 39 for a high on Sunday..That sucks! I was hoping we could skip winter for a change. No such luck..
    I will take pic tomorrwo and wait until you all see how nice everything STILL looks for I have have had NO frost at all..Strange and yet so pretty still.....I will miss it.

Hugs to all and I will be back later.

MIke

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, I have been reading everything you wrote just stopping to say hi. How is your Mom.? I hope her spirits are better. I had a similar situation to hers at one point in my life and know how difficult that can be. As they say. Second time around is better"
    I am seriously thinking of getting a gas heater in case of power failure. Think it would be wise.
    Mike I love the "twinkle" orchid. I think I stared at it for hrs today. It is definitely my favourite.I have 13 now and two more to come. ( ' Sharry Baby and a white 'twinkle ') 4 are in bloom 2 have buds and 2 are just starting a flower stock. Pretty awesome. I really would like a yellow twinkle . They don't seem to be available
    Btw Brian your orchid is beautiful. It is a phalenopsis . Very nice . Hope you are surviving the weather fluctuations. Here the day started with rain and thunder and the temps were in the 70.'s and by 6am the sun was shining. I think Thru. we too are getting snow.
    Steve glad your tests revealed no serious concerns. It must be a relief.
    The iPad is working now . No crashing.
    I am quite tired from the asthma so going to bed early. I will post in the morning. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maggy I hope your asthma subside and you improve.

Cory; take care and rest. Sorry to hear of your illness.

Thank you all for your thoughts

I guess I was very tired when I wrote. It was my wife that got the colonoscopy. I had to take my monitor from my computer and take it upstairs to the bedroom where it is visible from the porcelain throne. She sat on it and watched reruns for endless hours. She passed flawlessly and I setup the computer and made my first post.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Cory,

PLEASE GET BETTER..I feel so bad you are that sick. Please let us know how you are soon..Rub that Vicks on your chest and get plenty of water and rest. Hot steam showers too.

Steve,
    not bad and such a good idea...By the way, I am glad things turned out ok at your place)

Maggy,
    mom is ok..She just told my father that he has to stop talking so that she can watch tv for a change..lol He is still talking..
    She thanks your for asking and told you to be careful with your asthma...She feels your pain because she was surrounded with people who suffer that. So much more these days.

I killed one of my frogs by aaccident, darn it! I hate myself for that! I smelt a stench in my greenhouse of human flesh, and then discovered my dead friend..He got in there and I killed him by squishing he head against the tub trying to get him out..I feel so bad((( I thought I did that days ago and thought he would be ok, because I left the door open thinking he got out and instead he was floating probably for days rotting away in that tub of water. I found it this morning swollen twice its size and about 1 pound of dead weight..

Do you like the smell of your 'twinkle'??? I LOVE them for that reason. Some of mine are starting to reflower..

What do you mean 13 twinkles??????? Are you serious..You have 13 plants already???
    You had no orchids just a month ago..lol Told you, orchid fever is contagious!lol
    I think I have a yellow one come to think of it..I shall have to keep an eye on that one) I can't wait until I see the orchid show in Feb.

Brian, your orchid is so pretty!!! Now that I look at it again. I miss Cory...She is so kind..

Hugs to you all)

MIke

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi gang . Must be the time of year everyone is not feeling well . Sorry to hear Maggy that your asthma is acting up again not nice poor you . Maggy how was your anniversary supper ? Did you guys stay home or restaurant ? Cory I hope you are starting to feel a little better no let me rephrase a lot better the flu is extremely bad this year my friend is suffering from the flu with ridiculously high fever and lots of etc . Mikey frog jokes are off limit today poor you . If I had accidentally killed my frog it would probably bother me for a week I can't even step on a ant . Keep telling yourself it was an accident . Steve your citrus tree looks awesome glad your wife is OK . You managed to finish on time big cool down this weekend then it's going to warm up next week . Mike are the plants in now ? Have a great night everyone .Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone, Well, I shouldn't have issues with the iPad now. I have spent all day getting photo's deleted and some sent to storage . Got all old files and unused files deleted . Just like cleaning house. LOL ! Like I am going to do that! I went from having 500 MB to 15GB of space. No crashing now . Steve I may even have figured out how to get my pictures right side up.
    Thank you all for your concern. I had a bad day yesterday and was up from 2am - 5am .I got my steroids out but haven't had to take them yet.i have been a bit better today. Just exhausted. It has been about1 1/2 yrs since I had an episode .
    Mike I am so sorry about your frog. I know you feel bad. It was not your fault. How many others do you have? I know how much they mean to you. They are the sweetest little things. We all know you wouldn't hurt a fly
    I have 13 orchids Mike, not 13 ' twinkles ' ,although I wish. I did react to some scents at the orchid show.( The twinkle however is a very nice chocolate scent. )So have to be careful I have a 'Lady Slipper' one Cattelya and the rest are Phalenopsis . What colour twinkles do you have? Mine is red and the vendor is bringing me a white. I really, really want a yellow . Yes, I got the fever bad. . Cory sent me some yellow Christmas cactus and yellow geranium cuttings as well as some others, they arrived today in perfect condition. She is so kind and generous. .
    I have a little clove tree for you Mike but might have to hold on to it for awhile if it gets cold. It smells so good. A lot like my allspice tree. It is still delicate so it could also get a bit stronger. I will send you a picture of it tomorrow. I didn't forget about the sauce and salsa . Once I am out and about again I will send it.
    Mike , tell you Mom thank you for her concern re my asthma. I treat it immediately and have a protocol which I follow . I have all the medications at home and know when to go to the ER I laughed that she told her husband to be quiet . It is usually my husband telling me to be quiet when he is watching tv. And like your dad I keep talking.
    Brian, how are you? We are also getting snow tomorrow.. Can't believe how cold it is today already. Are you all ready for Halloween.?
    Brian our anniversary dinner was nice. Rick BBQ' D steak and it was delicious.we stayed home. Had a low key day. Watched our wedding which we have on CD. It was in Jamacia at the waters edge . It was such a nice reminder of a perfect day. We had some champagne and Orange juice and just a lovely day. My husband gave me a beautiful wedding ring in celebration of our 5 th year it is very special. He loves his car starter (a gadget you know) , especially this morning when it was so cold outside. He will like it even more soon.i am happy because I know how difficult it was for him those cold mornings last year.
    Steve, thank you for the good wishes. I guess I misunderstood you. I am glad to hear your wife's colonospy did not show any serious problems. I have a little story you might find funny. In 2010 I had the one as well and was given " conscious sedation" before the procedure . Drugs really make me "loopy" and when my husband came to get me I insisted in going to the Mall.that was after he had to dress me and keep me from falling over. Mind you I was staggering like a drunk. Of course we ran into someone from his work. Anyway I insisted on having a Cinnabon and French fries with gravy and cheese( which we call poutine ,not sure if you have it in US.) Later when he wasn't around , I got dressed ,drove my car to the grocery store and went shopping. I remember standing looking down the isle and everything thing seemed so far away and in slow motion. Then I drove down town because I wanted to buy him a cigar. I got home 4 hrs later and I had $200 with of groceries ,mostly things we never buy. Or eat.
    My husband was frantic because he had no idea where I was. So if I have had any kind of sedation he not only takes my car keys but stays home to watch me.
    Cory my friend. I am so sorry you are still ill. I wish I could help. Thank you so much for the cuttings . They are so healthy. I will write you an email later.
    We really miss you here. I have missed being here as well. Now that my iPad is working and my asthma is Improving it will be easier to post.
    Here are my little companions who have not left my side the past few days
    Have a great night all. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy...Your companions?????You mean those lovely orchids that sit right next to you near that couch, or the pooches that sit right on you??lololl Both, right?

I am so gladd to see you back! I am so sad to hear your asthma was that bad after a year and a half..Sheesh, maybe the weird jerk in the weather added to it too?
    I hope it is the last time for quite some time..

Maggy, you had be laughing my head off earloier and then now. First I thought you had 13 Twinkles, then now imagining you after sedation..lololol
    You know, I wa sput under to have my wisdom tooth pulled a few months ago, and my mother told me I kept asking the nurse to marry me....I kep telling her she was a queen of my dreams..Was I embarressed..lol

Did your dogs just have a bath? They look so soft and cuddley...They are actually posing for us here. I love that. Your front runner looks like he is say..'Oh no, not again'..lol

I do have to say that those orchids and your dogs, oh yeah, husband must make your world right now,,,Oh yeah, we must not forget that solar cover..lol

Maggy, are those the CC cuttings that Cory sent you in that pot? Nice! I hope they do well for you. Let me tell you when I say that Cory IS NOT a proscratinator! I am and I am horrible at it. I still owe people plants and I am just horrible at remembering with all teh stuff going on these days. That Cory is remarkable along with you for thinking of us and sending us gift so promptly. Thank you to both you and Cory..Speaking of Cory, I miss her too. I wish she was over that stupid Flu. No one here has it yet, than goodness, although now that the weather is going to go from 70 to 30's by Sunday, I think it's coming..

Maggy, my yard still looks so nice as of this morning. I never had things grow this late. I think they are going to get smacked hard in the face and freeze green. I think the freeze will take them all by surprise..((

I can't believe that you insisted on that food and bought all that food..I think you are all food addicts...ha.

My mom is really worried about you and Cory. She says to please let me know how you are coming along.
    A Clove tree, really?? They smell that good? I am so happy about that. Yes, take your time until you know it's safe to send it.
    How are your tree's coming along? Your Clemenules?

Snow, did you say SNOW??? I hope not..We have a huge Nor Easter brewing for Sunday, and it it gets cold enough, we could have a freak snow storm. I hope not.
    I have yet toget my ponds covered and protected..It has been hard this year. Usually everything is dead the ground by now that allows me to step and rake wherever I want, but not this time. I can't step anywhere.

I'll post pics to show you. It wa so nice to see you could post again after cleaning house..What a pain, right? I had to do the same thing to my Iphone..Now I can take pics again. You should see my e-mail account. I have over 5000 messages I have to get rid of..That will take me for weeks to do so.

Maggy, I love that couch, wall, pic frames, plants and all.. Good taste)

I must run but I will be back..

Cory , please get better. we need you our friend.
    Brian, you have been away for too long.lol
    Steve, again, great job)

My variegated CC is blooming real early..Huge huge flowers and pretty too)And here is my garden area even today yet to die back. Citrus STILL outside.

{{gwi:105325}}

{{gwi:105327}}

{{gwi:638457}}

{{gwi:638459}}

By the way, ALL the citrus are still outside..lol Here are a couple.

{{gwi:638461}}

{{gwi:638462}}

{{gwi:638463}}

{{gwi:638464}}

{{gwi:638465}}

{{gwi:638466}}

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 19:35

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your good wishes on my wife procedure and on my GH. The forecast has changed to a cold that will kill everything at ground level. It is funny that if my roof doesn't get frost tonight, it will be in November that I will get the first roof frost. The nest night, everything dies. I have most of the west wall completed with quadruple layer glass and all the framing to put in the last panel. My in ground seed grown sweetlee trees are 5 feet 1 inch shown below and 4 feet 11 inches shown above.

Steve

PS Camera Didn't work. Will replace this with pickture later

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Wow Maggy and Mikey beautiful pictures . Maggy your pups are so cute. You can tell they love you just by the expression on their little cute faces . Mikey wow your garden still looks amazing !!!!. You shop at costco , we have the exact black weaved pot , they really are beautiful with a large cluster of flowers . Your citrus look amazing I see the time spent on the roof did them well . Glad to hear your making a move with the plants that east coast snowstorm sounds to close for comfort . The variegated plant looks amazing good job and the flowers on it just beautiful . Maggy the clustering of your orchids looks great . I am feeling still really tired their are so many virus's going around , last night I did not feel well I thought for sure I was coming down with something but this morning I was fine . I think I am still worn out from last weeks stress . Steve welcome to frost town glad your almost done great job . Your sweet lee tree looks so healthy . Are you going to put any kind of heating in there ? Have a great night everyone XOXO

Brian

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello all, Thanks for your kind thoughts. I never get sick except for the flu which I do get often. As soon as they start giving out those flu shots I get it. I wish they wouldn't give them out in the grocery stores as it is hard to avoid there. I should have known not to go inside when I saw the sign. I had asthma at the same time which makes it worse. I had to get up and going today though as we ran out of groceries and I had to go to the bank so I could pay bills. I hope I didn't spread any germs around myself. I tried not to.

Maggy, your new orchids are very pretty. I knew it was dangerous showing you pictures of my orchids. Orchiditis is very contagious! You will enjoy them so much though. I know Mike loves plants that are very fragrant, but I am like you, so often I can't keep the fragrant ones in the house with me. I can get overwhelmed at the flower shows, but most often it is the fake fragrances that bother me more. My co-workers called me their yellow canary at work because as soon as someone opened a bottle of cleaning product, air freshener, perfume, even if it was far across the room I would start coughing and wheezing. Those erasable marker pens always did me in. Steve, I am glad you got the greenhouse finished in the knick of time. My cymbidiums and more tropical camellias are still out so I have to watch the temperature carefully. I am hoping i can leave them out until I feel better. I haven't even been in the greenhouse until I peaked in today and watered a few that really needed it. The humidity tripped my gfi switch so i had no fans or humidifier for that matter on one end of the greenhouse while I was sick. I had already turned off the humidifier because the humidity was so high and I only had energy to climb up and around plants to pull out the plugs to try and get the box to dry out. The humidity is still high in there but I was able to plug everything in again and fortunately everything came back on. I think the bubblewrap is holding in the humidity which I guess is good but it its too much so far. I usually need to run the humidifier, but the walls and ceiling are beads of water even when I set it very low. The humidity is 99% and it is almost raining in there when the sun goes down. When I feel better I will experiment more. I am not sure if the heat has even come up at all it seems to stay that warm. I don't smell gas so I don't think that is the problem, and I do have vented heaters. I have lost a lot of leaves and flower buds though because of the extreme humidity. It hasn't helped that it has been so rainy out so opening the door and vents has not helped much at all. Probably soon I will be complaining I can't keep up the humidity with the furnaces going in the cold weather. It is hard to believe the bubble wrap has made such a difference. I also put rubber mats down in the aisles between the benches. I have bluestone floor so maybe the mats are holding more moisture too. It is a lot
    easier cleaning up the bark from the mats though than picking out the bits and pieces of bark from the stones when I knock plants over which I always seem to be doing no matter how careful I try to be. It is crowded in there, and when one goes it is like a set if dominoes in there sometimes, especially when the hangers catch on each other.

Maggy, I hope the cuttings are still alive by the time you get them....if you get them. I did ask if it was ok to send them and filled out the report. Mike, how did yours fair. I never grew yours in sphagnum moss. It has been in a bark mix. I think the tree fern would be very good. I was originally going to send you one of the new growths shooting out the front but they never put down roots so I found this growth coming off the original bulb in the back so dug that out as it has roots. It should grow fine I think. I wasn't sure about taking the pieces that do not have roots yet although that is how it grows rapidly from those growths but they are still attacked too the mother plant. We can always try again if you don't have success with the piece I sent. It seemed more like a little plantlet though than the other parts. I was going to look up some of Maggy's plants for her but then I got sick. I still owe her. Brian, I can imagine how shook up you were from those shootings so nearby work. I worked in the WTC for many years but I changed jobs and the new company moved from NYC after that. Still, I knew so many people who worked there and had many customers who worked there. I went to graduate school in the immediate area while they were building the towers and went to all the orchid shows held there. I worked on the 91st floor. We had constant threats even back when I worked there. I loved working in that area though. So sad there is so much evil in the world. Now it its on Canada too.

I have to catch up on my reading here, so I hope I haven't missed anyone's comments.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike -- I must of just started writing just before you posted so I didn't see your flowers and citrus trees. They look fantastic. Are any of your citrus still on the rooftop. I will post the missing picture here instead of editing in above. We are scheduled for snow as well as frost. It looks like all of use are in frost territory.

Sweetlee tangerine tree from seed at 5 feet 1 inch tall and well branched 3 feet wide

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 20:51

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi .so glad to see we are all back. Mike those pictures are amazing.What gorgeous plants Your trees look so good. I don't know what you and Brian do to make them grow so well. I love the variagated Christmas cactus. I would love a piece of that. Great pictures. Hard to believe those trees are still outside. Mine are still growing in the greenhouse. I see new blossoms on a few. The Clementine tree is still shedding leaves.but still alive.
    My puupies are very attached to me They follow me everywhere. They are such a comfort .very cuddly and soft. They actually need a bath . They always make me feel better.
    . Yes those orchids, the dogs the trees , the solar cover and my husband ( not in that order) make my like . It is a good life Mike. I am fortunate.
    You tell your mom not to worry.the asthma is getting better. Windsor is a very polluted city and it has been worse since moving here. When Rick retires we will likely move closer to Niagara Falls. Close to his daughter and my son in Toronto.
    Yes the clove tree smells wonderful. I wish I could make a cutting from the allspice for you but not sure if it would root. I had an extra tree but I gave it away. I am sure it is dead by now as the person I gave it to is not very good with plants.
    Glad I was able to give you a laugh. We all can use a little humour now and then.
    You tell your Mom to take care of herselfShe is very kind. I hope she is feeling better. Give her a hug.
    Have a great evening . Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Cory welcome back !!!! Glad to hear that you are on your feet again . Thank you for sharing your story . These things I know are very hard to talk about .You are so right there is so much evil but thank goodness there is a lot more good . Cory so glad to hear your recovering from what I am hearing and seeing this is quit the bad flu . Definitely going to get my flu shot . Take it slow Cory baby steps . Have a great night my friend .

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Good morning, this is the third time I have tried to post on citrus forum in the past hour and my e keeps freezing and crashing. I so regret downloading that update. I am trying to write then paste to see if that works..
    The sun is shining here but it is only 45 degrees. I think we are still getting snow flurries tomorrow.
    Mike here is a picture of the clove tree seedlings. One has your name on it. They smell really nice. I will get it strong before I send it.
    Brian, I hope you are getting some rest. It is such a terrible thing you experienced . Do you have any week- end plans,something fun? The Clementine is still struggling and dropping leaves, likely due to change in light. Hoping it will survive.
    Steve, glad everything is o.k in your part of the world. You look like you have all your trees ready for winter.
    Cory, so nice to see you back again. I missed you. The flu is not fun and even worse in combination with asthma. I hope you were able to get some needed rest.
    Thank you so much Cory for the cuttings, they arrived yesterday safe and sound. No problem with customs and they were fresh and green. No wilting. Beautiful .You are so kind and generous. I will be happy to reimburse you for postage. I am looking forward to growing them.
    Well you are right about " orchiditis" I started out with one and now have 13. ( two more coming) Five are in bloom, four are budding . Very exciting. This morning I was up at 6.30 playing with them. The watering is a delicate balance . I am going on intuition as opposed to a schedule. The roots kind of tell me what to do.
    The orchid show was interesting. I immediately was overwhelmed by the scent upon walking in the door . I have to be careful about keeping some scented ones in the house as well. I really, really love the "twinkle" It is my favourite. The chocolate scent does not bother me.
    Already I have joined the Orchid society and the AOS . The Orchid magazine is nice for a beginner like me. I read everything I can .the website is informative. They seem happy on the table in the east window in my living room.
    You must have had an interesting career Cory. Do you miss working? Sometimes I miss my colleagues and the commonalities we collectively shared. I would never want to return to the work force now though. Life is full now
    I have a question about the Cattleya. It looks and feels like there is something inside the leaf. Is that a flower stock? It is enclosed so not sure what it is.
    Well all have a wonderful day . I am going to paste this into the citrus forum and hope I don't lose it again. Warmest wishes to you all. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Mike, your trees look so beautiful and so is that variegated cc.. I wish I had left my trees out too for longer. It is so hard to get them in though and the temperature had dropped so much before it rose again. It has been a bonus fall. Your yard looks great yet too. I was looking to see if your pals crept into any of the pictures, but I did not see even one. Sorry to hear that one had an accident. I know you must feel bad about that. When I had a fish pond inside my greenhouse, I always felt so bad when they would jump out during a lightning storm and I didn't get out to rescue them in time. I have not had any frost yet either so my yard looks good yet too except for the mud piles out front yet. I see someone came and sprayed flourescent colored paint markings where the pipes and fire hydrant need to be lowered, so maybe they will start working again. It will be too late for grass seed to grow though so it will be a mess all winter I am afraid. I am just looking at my remote greenhouse thermometer and it is showing 86% humidity still and there are four fans going in there and I heard the exhaust fan running most of the day. I can't figure out where all that humidity is coming from. It is as if all the rain drained under the greenhouse from the yard and now it is seeping up into the greenhouse. It is strange as it is usually hard to keep the humidity level high enough. Most of my plants really don't like it this high for so long so things are not looking good in there. You and Maggy made me laugh with your stories about reacting to anesthesia as I react similarly. People and even doctors don't believe it until they see or experience it themselves. Funny how much we all have in common.

I am feeling pretty well today and have been mowing leaves all day. I think the fresh air did me good.

Cory

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Maggy I love your clove trees I have been following all the bugs links. This is my first time chiming in all of your trees and plants are amazing. I have been so busy getting my green house ready I have not had time to say hi on this link. All trees are going in next week having to finish heating system between starting new job and all.
    Trace

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Trace, I have been reading your posts as well. Nice greenhouse and you seem to have the same passion as those of us over here in " bugs" Youhave some beautiful trees. I see you have had some success rooting cuttings. Mine have been not successful so far.
    Could you believe I bought the clove seeds from a lady on 'etsy' she lives in Hawaii and every once in awhile has fresh seeds. They came in the winter and I had 100% germination. I think there were 10 seeds Amazing. It is so much fun to experiment.
    As you likely know I have gotten interested in orchids. I am hooked I am afraid. I am sure you have seen the pictures of Cory's orchids she has posted here. They are so beautiful.
    Nice to see you and hope you will stay around. Maggy

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Thanks maggy your trees look awesome as well thanks for comments about the greenhouse. I did see the orchids they are beautiful. I am very passionate about plants always have been since I was a little boy. To root cuttings is very difficult for me I started having luck by just ignoring them lol. The navel orange that rooted is doing good it was from a tree that was dieing. So I hope it take.
    Trace

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy, I think your posting problems may also be related to this site. I keep losing posts too, but sometimes they show up later when I open Chrome and can repost them. Your spice tree(lets) are growing well. Do they have a nice fragrance when they are small? I am glad all the cuttings arrived fresh. It's good they got there before it gets cold. Don't worry about postage. You are doing well with your orchids. Just keep "reading" what they are telling you by their roots and leaves and you will do fine. You can also use the stick method to find out if the medium is still wet like you do with your citrus trees. I think I could see a bud in that cattleya sheath. Some have double sheaths (a sheath within a sheath), some only one, and some have none. Sometimes it seems to take forever to bloom and other times they just seem to pop out of nowhere and you never noticed the buds were there. Sometimes the sheaths need help opening as moisture accumulates inside and the bud will rot. If you see that happening you just slit along the edge to let air in and the moisture out. Sometimes the sheath turns brown and almost looks dead, but leave it alone as some bloom like that. They sort of rest and then open. I think I told you not to cut the phalaenopsis spikes after the flower is done as the spike often sends out branches and will bloom again. If it gets gangly, you can cut back to a height you might like better just above a node, and it may branch from there. The older plants will send up multiple spikes. Some oncidium family are like that too, so don't cut back any flower spikes unless they are dried up until you get to know the plant for a while. Sometimes their buds get stuck trying to get through the foliage at the base so you have to help them get out or the stem will get kinked. If the foliage gets wrinkled that means they need more humidity. Some kinds are more sensitive than others. I am glad to be retired. I thought I might miss working as I was a workaholic, but i have so many hobbies and interests my time is completely filled so I don't miss my job. Once in a while I hear from customers which is nice as i really liked them and hope their businesses are doing well. I even kept my Google alerts for news about them as I still enjoy knowing how things are going for them especially as the past few years have been pretty tough. But it is really nice to have the time to spend with my other interests now and not have to spend hours commuting and traveling. I miss my friends too, but we do get together a few times during the year.

Hello Trace. I read your posts about your new greenhouse, your winterized balcony, and trees too. I like your enthusiasm. Welcome to our "Bugs" posting spot. We enjoy learning, hearing from and encouraging each other here. We are an enthusiastic group of plant lovers and are becoming good friends. Many of us have had greenhouses for a while so we exchange info to help solve problems we may be having. I look forward to checking what everyone has to say everyday. Glad you joined in.

Hello Brian, Mike, Steve and Veggie girl. Nothing to say today? Hope you all stay well and don't catch that flu that seems to be going around. I'm feeling much better today. I think being out in the fresh air today helped a lot.
    Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello again everyone. I was wondering if any of you subscribe to the You Tube channel Brad's Greenhouse. He posts about two videos a week. I find them very interesting. He is a Canadian from Vancouver, I think, that has a smallish hobby greenhouse, lots of orchids, pitcher plants and other unusual plants like we all do. He has posted his progress when building his new greenhouse, when he repots his plants, monthly tours of what is blooming in his greenhouse and his yard, about particularly plants in his collection, his misting system , his heating and lighting, and insulation, etc. I subscribed to his channel and get notified of his latest videos. I thought you might enjoy them too. I'm not sure this link to his most recent posting about repotting and dividing a dracula orchid will work. Maggy, it is a good one for you as you soon will want to know about repotting your orchids.

Cory

Here is a link that might be useful: Brad's Greenhouse

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Goodmorning everyone!)))) Happy Friday and don't forget to leave your ugly face masks on today!

It a whopping 40 degrees and cloudy, my really favorite weather....I don't think so. lol The roads are quiet and the ghost are flying abouts or midst.. I think the frog I killed is going to come back and haunt me(((

Cory, Cory. Cory, amazing, holy toledo, I can't believe all the stuff that has happened here since I last posted...I will have to catch up again..lol First you. I wanted to say welcome back and it's so good to see you feeling much better. Thank you again for that orchid..I have it in tree fern in a little plastic pot and I hope it does well for me. Keep your fingers crossed..It is on the top shelf in my greenhouse) It's cute. I love the little round balls..lol

Cory, Camelias are a bit tricky for me...They love the cold to set buds, but if you bring them into a warm room before they flower, they abort. If you leave them outside in the cold to keep on them, they don't grow because it's too cold. lol. My plants are just stagnant until I warm the roots, then I loose the buds...Sheesh..I have a mind to throw them out soon.

I shall have to take a peek at that link you hooked us up with. I have always thought of doing that myself, making videos, but never did. Thanks a bunch my friend...Looks like Brad and I are going to become friends.

Cory, thank you for the compliments on the yard and plants, I need it coming from an expert) and fellow lover of plants. Thank you for the condolences on my pet frog...We had a small ceremony for him last night. I laid a wreath on the water made of dead leaves and a piece of drift wood in his honor.

Cory, I al always looking to throw them out of my greenhouse, God forbid I veer have to use chemicals to treat plants...I can't understand why your greenhouse is that humid...? Many would die for even an ounce of humidity and yet yours is seeping with it. Very strange.
    I hope it all works out. I think the air is just not dry yet from winter, it's late and then the air in there combined with the full proof bubble wrap is doing it. I think once the dew points drop from winter, it will correct itself.

That darn job they are doing..When will they finish? That must be a royal pain in the behind. Goodness, I hope they finish before winter sets in.
    Are all your ground plants still growing?
    Mine hav yet to die back so I can rake and insulate the pond area..I have to wait until the ground freezes and I ca step and put stuff on top of the plants since it would be just ground.

I am SO happy you are better and thanks again. I will be back for Maggy Steve, Tracy, and Brian...Gotta run for now.
    Much love

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Happy Halloween everyone . It's going to snow this afternoon and I am sick , LOVELY . I am at work because everyone is sick . It's Friday ya hoo.

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi everyone, Slept in with the puppies this morning. They love to snuggle with me after my husband goes off to work.
    Happy Halloween! Brian, I am sorry you are ill. I hope you feel better soon. I have avoided going out as I am terrified of catching a cold . It would put me in the hospital as it goes straight to my lungs. So you will have to get your 'better Half'' to take care of you, spoil you a little , give you extra attention.
    I bet you will be watching scary movies tonight. Maybe that is what we should do.
    It is cloudy and raining here, we are expecting snow. I hear some parts of the U.S. are going to get some severe storms. I miss my citrus trees but it is nice knowing they are tucked away in the greenhouse for the winter. Will try to make cuttings in the spring. I suppose I will be looking for some new trees LOL!
    I am just looking at my 4 orchids that are blooming and they are so beautiful. 5 are either in bud or flower stock. The flowers just seem to last forever. The Thansgiving cactus is blooming. I can't wait to grow the yellow Christmas cactus that Cory sent me. It is so nice having flowers this time of year.
    Hope you get well soon and please take care.
    Mike, Happy Friday to you. It is nice having Cory back for sure.
    Sounds like your weather is a lot like ours. These are the kind of days I like to stay inside by the fireplace, read and cuddle with my puppies. Also to make some comfort food. Tonight it will be Spanish rice and pork chops I think. And homemade bread.
    I am truly sorry about the frog. They must love the conditions in the greenhouse. Mine has 80% humidity right now.
    Mike you really should do some video's about growing citrus. You really are an expert and have helped so many people. It would be welcomed. All your tips and advise have been so valuable to me .Have a great week- end
    Cory going to post to you soon.
    Trace in case you are interested, the lady I bought my clove seeds from has them posted again on Etsy. Just type in clove seeds . They are very fresh and easy to propagate . Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy . I just left work an hour earlier then the usual I have a bad cold.I felt something working on me all week. You are wise to stay home their are so many people sick right now . Are you handing out Halloween candy tonight ? If you do maybe you should put on a surgical mask and some gloves lold . When I get home I am going to take Sugar for his walk then i will get into my PJ's go to the basement throw on a couple of blankets an watch a bunch of classic Horror films . They are calling for snow tonight ya ho . It sure is nice Maggy knowing our trees are in a good place and I sure do miss them. My litchi is doing amazing I thought it would have dropped all its leaves by now what a shocker in many years it has never been in the house . I think it is trying to flower I see little purple buds . You are quit the gardener your baby cloves look really healthy good for you . Maggy Mike Cory Steve have a great Halloween and it is so nice to see Tcamp posted you Maggy .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, glad you were able to leave work early. My husband was hoping to do the same but don't see any sign of him. Buddy is watching for him in the window.
    Seems like there are a lot of people sick here too. I am going to skip my rug hooking group tomorrow and will visit the orchid show just long enough to pick up my orchids and look at the displays.
    It is very windy here now but no snow yet. . Something just fell in a roof. Likely a dead tree branch. I hope we don't lose power. I have not bought a gas heater yet. I must do that soon. Tomorrow is supposed to be nasty as well.
    We will be giving out treats . We had to buy more because we ate them all.
    Rick will hand them out. Two years ago Teddy was dressed as a bumble be and the kids loved it. But he hated it. So I am not dressing then up this year.
    Getting in your PJ's and watching tv sounds perfect. We are going to have a quiet evening as well.
    I am happy to hear your litchi tree is adapting well to it's new environment.
    Brian I can send you one if the clove trees in the spring if you like. The leaves smell amazing.
    Take care and have a restful week- end. Maggy
    Here are my orchids this morning.

{{gwi:638442}}

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello, tonight is Halloween here. There are hundreds of spooks, princesses, and other characters enmass collecting their treats. My street must be a favorite because the parents drive up by the van loads and leave the kiddies off. Those mud piles in front of my house thwart all but the hardiest of the crowd so I am now standing out at the curb with my basket of chocolate bars as I really don't want to be left with 5 large bags of candy bars. My neighbor across the street was cleaned out within half an hour. For some reason their house gets hit first. They must have given out 500 candy bars and then gave up and turned out their lights. I am nearly out now and it is cold sitting out here. The older kids will start coming soon though. There is a lull right now so I decided to check in to see what is going on. Mike, I was looking at your recent pictures again. That tree with the thick trunk is really something! Just beautiful. And those fruits are coming along nicely. Brian, I am sorry to hear you are now sick. Feel better soon. Well i have to go. Several more vans of children just drive up and are getting out of the cars.

Cory

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy sounds like you are having quit the weather here nothing and the sky is clear some snowstorm . Not complaining . Your pups must of looked really cute dressed as bumble bees . We used to dress Sugar up as a vampire he didn't mind . Don't worry if you were to lose power the temp will still stay above freezing . Maggy I would love one of your clove trees in the spring Thankyou very much . I have quit the temperature now and the chills but darn it I am still going to try to watch the original Halloween and the Shining two of my favs . Well Maggy darling have a great night and I hope your husband has arrived .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi All, the wind I'd howling here and the rain coming down. I don't think we are going to get any little ones as it is too nasty out side. We have a big bowl of candy which I was hoping would be gone by now.
    Cory, I can picture you standing out at the curb with you basket of chocolate bars. I laughed when you said the parents drop the kids off by the can load. Hope you are not getting cold out there.
    Brian, glad to hear you didn't get bad weather. Sorry to hear you have a fever and chills. Drinks lots of fluids and stay warm. Brian I will send you a clove tree in the spring.
    Well some older kids just came . They hid outside and jumped out at Rick. Scared him . The dogs went crazy and won't stop barking. I think the costumess scared them as well.
    Have a good night all. Will check in with you later.maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

I see my picture didn't post earlier Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Maggy, How beautiful that table of plants looks!

Most of the children are very behaved here, but I don't think many are my neighbors. One little boy wanted to hide in my bushes, just for the fun of it. I told him to be careful he didn't wake up the bunny, fox, and rabbit that lived in there. He told me he did find the rabbit hole. He was just a little guy. I remember liking doing that myself when I was little. I felt like I was in the forest. There is poison ivy in the hedge so I hope he didn't touch any. It is a constant battle keeping it out of there.

It sounds like winter has come to Windsor. It is 54°F here right now but supposed to go down in the 30s tonight. I will be glad when this last basket of candy is gone but will give up at 8pm. Traffic is a lot slower now but the occasional witch and knight still are passing by. They are still very small children with parents. Not many teenagers. Maybe there is something going on in town for them as usually there are many.

I'm not sure it is a good idea I have my greenhouse lights on tonight. It is attracting a lot of attention. I think I would rather no one notices it. Many have asked me to give them a tour some day. One lady told me that the man with her has a 39ft greenhouse and he grows greens hydroponically in it. She has a very small one and just started growing greens hydroponically herself.

The teens have started coming by now. I still have a basket left but it probably will be empty soon.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Cory, Sounds like you had fun .That little boy who wanted to hide in the bushes sounds so cute. Did you manage to pass out all your candy?
    We did have a few little ones and some older kids. But we have lots of candy left. My dog Buddy got really upset when kids came to the door in costumes . He was nervous and shaking. Just kept looking out the window. And wouldn't leave my side He was a rescue dog so I am not sure if something or someone may have hurt him. He is so gentle and sensitive. .but gets scared of strangers .
    I love the little table of orchids. It makes me so happy to see them there.
    It seems a lot of people showed an interest in your greenhouse. I can understand why you don't want to attract to much attention .
    Cory,I think you are right, my posting problems seem to be only on the gardenweb . So I find writing in Outlook and then paste to citrus forum works.
    I am loving the orchids and trying to learn as much as I can. Actually there is a bud inside two of. the catteya sheaths . I will keep an eye in them to see if they need help. Thank you for that information as I had no idea how they bloom or how to take card of them. I am very excited because tomorrow I am getting my ' Sharry baby' and a white 'Twinkle' ( I think) . The vendor had only one and I asked him to bring it for me.
    Cory the clove tree leaves smell really nice. I can send you one in the spring as well if you like.
    I agree it is nice being retired. Having hobbies and time to do the things you enjoy is quite fulfilling.
    What do you study in graduate school. ? It sounds like you have always had a strong work ethic. It is nice that you still have contact with customers.
    It is a new chapter in our life now .
    Hope you have a good night. Glad you are feeling better and getting outside.
    My husband is going to the orchid show with me so maybe I will restrain myself and not buy too many orchids.
    Will be in touch tomorrow. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy, i think dogs always are upset with Halloween. All those strangers coming to their home is just so upsetting for them like the fireworks in July are, and thunder and lightning storms. My sister had a bumblebee costume for her dog. I don't think she liked wearing it much either but she does like to wear her winter coat and raincoat. She will not leave the house without them. I think she has boots too. She has lots of thick hair, but she still gets cold when she goes outside. My other sister's dogs always like wearing their winter coats too.

The children were cute, but there sure was a lot of them. They were walking around in groups of 20 or so at a time. I don't think they really knew each other, just met along the way, but they seemed to have fun being together and a part of the group. Some of them were so little, but their parents were with them. Lots of them had colorful light sticks that they carried with them so the whole group was lit up. We must have had 500 children come. My street is flat and long so it is a perfect street to park at one end. There are no steps either. It runs along the ridge of a hill and most streets are hilly with lots of stairs. So I can see why it is so popular. I still have a little candy left but by 8:45 pm I was cold and needed to cook dinner. It started to rain too so I think the evening was pretty much over by then.

The clove tree sounds nice, so if you are able to send me one I would like it. I don't remember seeing one here; maybe at Logees. My cymbidiums and camellias are still out with some containerized berries and veggies and a hardy hibiscus. I am hoping I can leave them out a little longer but next week's forecast shows temperatures in the mid 20°f s. I am afraid they might freeze as they are in pots. I really don't have an ideal cool spot to keep them in the winter now. My enclosed porch is on the north side and is not well insulated and not heated. I have tried wintering plants there but they always freeze. Some of my dwarf camellias are quite hardy, but I still am afraid to leave them out in containers. My basement is cool, but not quite cool enough for them to do really well. I miss my beach house sun porches. I guess Mike has the same problem finding a place for plants that need the cool but not freezing temperatures.

Graduate school was a long time ago now. I have an MBA in Finance and Investments. I have always taken horticultural courses whenever I could fit them in as I have always enjoyed learning about plants and gardening. Those classes I never had to really study for as i would just absorb the information and I would remember it with no effort. I find it is a little harder to recall plant names as readily though these days. Maybe that is because there is always so much other stuff to have to worry about which crowds the names out. The names always eventually come back, but with a slight delay.

Have fun at the orchid show tomorrow. You will have to restrain yourself tomorrow as you will not be able to sneak them in when he is not looking. All us plant people are like that. We just can't resist them. Non-plant lovers just can not understand it. So we end up sneaking them in when we think no one notices even though they probably don't really care, we just think they do when they give us those strange looks and comments about having so many already. Each plant is so different and interesting to us. We can spend hours looking at them in different lighting and see so many textures and colors that the non-plant people just do not see, and we are so at peace doing it. It probably helps us cope with all the other stuff going around us in life.

I better get some sleep while I can. I still have to get over this flu so it doesn't linger. I hope you have an asthma free night.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Good morning,
    The wind has stopped and the sun is shining but it is very cold . So did you all survive Halloween? Mike, how are you? Remember when you showed me that beautiful orchid "Sharry Baby" Now I have my very own, it really is so pretty.Oh! My goodness what a chocolate scent. I love it. I couldn't resist the " Twinkle's . I bought another red and I got a white at the show today.
    Cory the Orchid show today was small compared to the one last week- end but some beautiful displays .There was an orchid that smelled like lemon. So pretty. Last week someone had a ginger scented one but didn't know the name . I now have 16 already. Some of the bigger ones are so pretty but I don't have a place to keep them.
    I have to go out to the greenhouse shortly and check the citrus. I think some may need water. I forget. I think I am supposed to water them lightly and no fertilizer right? I know you told moe Mike but I can't find the post.
    Brian are you feeling better. I hope so. Please keep us up to date. Did you get any trick ot treaters. Poor Buddy was terrified of the strange people at the door. He was shaking and got in my lap. He was really anxious. Teddy was o.k. What about Sugar? Is he afraid of strangers.
    Steve how was your Halloween? Hope all is well with you.
    Hi Trace, how are you doing?
    Hope to hear all of your news. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Nice plants Maggy. You restrained yourself pretty well LOL. I sometimes like the smaller shows better as there is more opportunity to talk to the vendors and other show goers. You get to know everybody after going to all the shows after a few years. You even can guess whose plants are in the exhibits too and look forward to seeing them each year to see how much they have grown, especially some of the specimen plants. I was catching up watering my plants today too. The citrus trees still have to be watered until the water drains through the holes, it is just that you don't have to water them as often as the temperature is cooler and light levels are lower so the trees don't use the water as quickly so you will not have to water as often. If your greenhouse is very bright and your trees are actively growing, you may want to fertilize at a reduced rate of 1/4 strength each time you water or at regular strength but maybe only once a month. If the weather is not bright and the trees have stopped growing, stop fertilizing. The fertilizer may cause lanky growth or may build up in the medium and burn the roots. Sucking bugs will be attracted to the new weak growth. So better not to fertilize under those conditions, which is what most of us northern growers have until about late February.

My flu is still hanging on, but at least I am up and about at home. It had been raining hard all day and the temperature is supposed top drop again tonight, but the big drop is supposed to be tomorrow night. I should bring the last of my plants that are outside in, but it is so wet out that I think I will risk it and leave them out one more night. I hope the wet and cold is not a disaster waiting to happen though. It might take a while to dry them out and rot could set in. The leaves are really coming down from my sugar maple today. Every year they come down completely on election day. This wind and rain is getting the main drop primed. I will have leaves up to my thighs under that tree this week. My Thanksgiving cactus buds are all beginning to open today. I thought I would not have much bloom as they bloomed all spring and summer because of the big temperature drops this year, but they are blooming as much as ever. I don't seem to have as many peach ones this year. I am always giving plants away and sometimes i find I don't have certain colors anymore. I still have some, but not as many.

Maggy, enjoy your new orchids.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy, what beautiful orchids you have there!!!! You see, Cory was right, you have a case of the orchititis...
    I love them, and believe it or not there are Phals that actually smell good too. I have one.

Maggy, did it ever snow at your house? I hate this cold..It's only 38 and very grey. It is suppose to rain hard and possibly snow with wind gust of about 60 miles per hour..There goes any leaves on the trees, what's left of them and thank God..Now I can finally get some sun on the porch and spare room being blocked by those dar trees this time of the year.
    How was your Halloween? Did you get spooked?
    I shopped at the Merrimack Outlet stores in New Hampshire last night and met some really nice people. It was fun. Bought some stuff too.lol
    I call it therapy.....I also call it therapy when I search e-bay or go to a nursery for a plant I think I need..Lucky 13, or maybe more?

I hope you had a wonderful day..I have been straight out and I even started to write you this morning, but I am finally back to sitting down again to say this and that I now have to see what Brian and Steve, and others have been up to)

Those clove trees look awesome!! You really mean that? One has my name on it? I am so grateful. You know how much I will enjoy the fragrance to that plant. Between you and Cory, I am very appreciative! Thank you

I hope I saw everything you wrote...By the way, isn't the pool cover the next best thing to winning the lottery?

Mike)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 18:13

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022