o
What IS a venous orange?

Posted by garnetmoth z6 TN Antioch (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 05 at 21:06

"Common Name
Venous Orange (Orange Tree)
Botanical Name
Citrus x limonia 'Venous'"

Ok, learning from seeds, dear fiance has accidentally killed 2.... and I bought some cheap plants from Gurneys. I know, theyre NOT a citrus nursery. Theyve been really nice, and I got 3 silly crooked plants I wont feel a HINT of guilt using for scionwood.

So, ive got a key lime, a meyer lemon, and this "venous orange". "Fruit small, juciy, tart". I just wonder if anyone has ever heard of this variety, because I get a lot of garbage about aromatherapy and venous insufficiency when I search online.

thanks for any info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What IS a venous orange?

Not sure if this will help, try looking for Otaheite orange. This is a Citrus X limonia type.
Darren

o

Venous orange has come up before. Citrus X limonia can = Citrus (anything in the genus) X Limonia(?). The book "The Citrus Industry" say of Limonia: The name Limonia was a nomen confusum, derived from two or more entirely discordant elements," which "must be rejected" in accordance with Article 64 of the latest International Rules of Botanical Nomenclature. Your plant could be most anything. My "guess?" is Gurneys just made the name up, however I really do not know. I would ask Gurneys what EXACTLY are they selling, if they even know. - Millet

o

Actually, thats the saddest thing. Quotes is what they sent to me. The package called it a citrus sinensis, but the website said Venous orange. Im expecting hard tart baloney :-)

Point was pirmarily for me to get scion wood I wouldnt feel bad killing, so we'll see. Im going to wait till a new flush of foliage grows in well to try to ID from leaves, but the lime Ive grown from seed has WAY more round leaves than this "key lime", they might not know more than I do about the varities!

Ill get these seedlings thru a winter or 3, hopefully learn grafting, and when we get settled in again (3 more years for the Mr's college) ill buy good plants if mine dont make it.

o

I wonder if it may be 'Mme. Vinous' [sic] -- a variety of sweet orange?

o

This is a Citrus Mitis or calamondin tree. sad that the company doesnt know this

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here