Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Anyone ever have issues with 5:1:1 staying too moist?

bonechickchris
10 years ago

Hi everyone!
Although I do not post a lot, I have been a member here for many years and have learned LOTS from this Great forum!
Recently, about a month and a half ago, I did some up-potting on several of my citrus trees with my usual 5:1:1 plus lime mix.
However, for some reason, I have noticed several of the trees I up-potted are now suffering (from what I think) is being too wet, and possibly on its way to root rot.
I use the best bark from Agway, and have even sifted some of it, use coarse perlite (although I do not think any coarse perlite I buy is really coarse enough) and my 1 part peat I use Pro Mix which even has extra perlite in it. Plus, I add a TBSP dolomite lime per gallon mix, and some slow release fertilizer. Pretty much close to the exact recipe, and some I even added some extra perlite to make it even more free draining.

However, I noticed that this past up-potting has left several of my citrus not so happy. Upon looking at some roots, they almost seem as like they are staying too wet, and I do not know why. They are in a greenhouse so I pretty much have control of the watering they get and keep them less watered than anything else (although I did have an invasive cancer surgery about a month and a half ago, where my husband had to do the watering, and if anything, I think he would of underwatered and not over watered).

Anyway, I am not sure what to do. I am re potting some of them into the same mix minus the pro mix so it does not have the peat to hold the water and is basically sifted bark and Perlite and a little lime. Sifting the perlite almost seems like a waste because most of the perlite is so fine it sifts out and makes for a half useless bag of perlite.

I was very careful not to feed at all until 2-3 weeks later.
I thought I had the same issue about 3 years ago when I up potted to 5:1:1 and I lost a Meyer during it along with stress with some other citrus, however I did not use the Agway bark at that time, so I thought that was the problem then because I used an orchid bark mix as my primary bark ingredient in 5:1:1.

Anyway, I am just curious if it is me or if anyone has ever had issues after up-potting to 5:1:1, and if you have any suggestions. I would hate to lose any trees that have been previously fine.
Do any of you sift the perlite, or does it not matter how fine it is because it does not absorb water.
I almost wonder if I should almost let my trees get severely root bound before I up-pot from now on. It seems as if they would do better just leaving them alone at times.
What really confuses me is that my one huge lemon tree in a 24 inch pot that had been planted 5 years ago with a good amount of MG Citrus mix does just fine and well and in the last 5 years I have learned how bad MG citrus mix is and have never used it since, however that tree does great in it, go figure.

It is really driving me nuts that the more I am aware of taking care of my citrus lately, the more sensitive and un happy they are. I don't get it. The more I nurture them the more issues I have. I have been ok for so many years. Ugg!
Thanks for your help! Christy

Comments (3)