Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandiegoguy

Problem with Navel Orange Tree

sandiegoguy
13 years ago

I appear to be having some issues with my young Washington Navel orange tree. As you can see in the picture below, the fruit is not growing and turning yellow and spotty.

Next to the bad oranges on the left is a Eureka lemon from a tree growing about 15 feet away. I use the same soaker hose for both of them so they get the same amount of water. I typically water about once a week.

I am new to all this, but I'll give you all the info I got.

-- I bought these trees this spring. I bought the semi-dwarf Eureka lemon tree in February, and the full-sized Navel orange tree in April. When I bought the orange tree, it had fruit starting to grow. It didn't grow, and instead just got yellow with these awful brown spots. There were probably about 20-25 oranges on the tree all told. I have since taken most of them off the tree except for a couple.

-- I am in San Diego, about 5 miles from the ocean. It's been an unseasonably cool summer. Temperatures have rarely gotten above 80 degrees and have never gotten below 45 since I got these trees.

-- The trees get about 7 hours of sunlight a day. They are on the west side of my house.

-- The drainage is good, not great. Definitely acceptable.

-- The tree itself seems healthy. It's not growing very fast and has a few yellow leaves but overall it's a nice green color. The fruit itself looks terrible though.

I'm hung up on this mostly because the lemons appear to be perfectly healthy and the oranges look terrible. I'm not desperate to get fruit right away, but I would love to know if I'm doing something wrong so I can fix it for future years.

Thanks for your insight guys! I don't know what I'd do without some experts in the online world!

{{gwi:638795}}

Comments (4)