Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Navel Orange Tree

Posted by sandiegoguy 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 21:38

I appear to be having some issues with my young Washington Navel orange tree. As you can see in the picture below, the fruit is not growing and turning yellow and spotty.

Next to the bad oranges on the left is a Eureka lemon from a tree growing about 15 feet away. I use the same soaker hose for both of them so they get the same amount of water. I typically water about once a week.

I am new to all this, but I'll give you all the info I got.

-- I bought these trees this spring. I bought the semi-dwarf Eureka lemon tree in February, and the full-sized Navel orange tree in April. When I bought the orange tree, it had fruit starting to grow. It didn't grow, and instead just got yellow with these awful brown spots. There were probably about 20-25 oranges on the tree all told. I have since taken most of them off the tree except for a couple.

-- I am in San Diego, about 5 miles from the ocean. It's been an unseasonably cool summer. Temperatures have rarely gotten above 80 degrees and have never gotten below 45 since I got these trees.

-- The trees get about 7 hours of sunlight a day. They are on the west side of my house.

-- The drainage is good, not great. Definitely acceptable.

-- The tree itself seems healthy. It's not growing very fast and has a few yellow leaves but overall it's a nice green color. The fruit itself looks terrible though.

I'm hung up on this mostly because the lemons appear to be perfectly healthy and the oranges look terrible. I'm not desperate to get fruit right away, but I would love to know if I'm doing something wrong so I can fix it for future years.

Thanks for your insight guys! I don't know what I'd do without some experts in the online world!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Navel Orange Tree

By the way, here is a picture of the tree...

o

I wish I had some info for you, but that looks like nothing I've seen. Maybe Dr. Manners will drop by and have a look. If the leaves of the tree look fine, then my only guess would be some kind of fertilization or spray damage - something that was harmless or even beneficial to the plant as a whole but damaging to the fruit.

Maybe it got a pest spray before you bought it. Again, take this with a grain of salt because I don't really know.

o

Hi,I would just remove all the fruits and see how it goes next year...Make sure the trees get plenty of nitrogen when setting fruit and the fruit is growing....I have been feeding my garden trees elemental magnesium...It looks like wire wool..If you can get it...sprinkle it around the drip line every two months when growing....my trees in the garden are going nuts!
It also improves the skins of the citrus...smooth clean skins.

o

P.s i could be totally barking up the wrong tree here but i wonder about those blocks you have around the tree there too.
citrus like acid and they could be leaching something into the soil(but i could be full of .... Mind)...I would remove those and dont have any mulch up against the trunk either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here