Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

micro climate patio

I two huge heat mats already going under trees cfl light boxes and propain heater if it goes below 32. So far its 51 tonight and thermometer on deck wall says 73. Soil temp of plants is 75 and that's without propane heater I feel the only time I will need to bring in plants is when it gets below 25 outside. That is if the 20 to 25 degree different of deck temp holds true when its colder. I will keep u posted what do u guys think.

Comments (52)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

it is prolonged cold that will change the dynamic; brief cold periods are offset by such things as warm fences, warm concrete, protection from wind and air drainage.... longer periods of cold chill everything and most of those differences vanish.

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand I just wanted to try I am WATCHING them very very close for any change don't want to kill my trees. But it can be done its a south facing deck I'm going to put up roller blinds if I need to to green house it.I just DONT have room for 26 tree in my house lol.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Is your deck open with railings or can it be covered?

Yes, temps to start with can be quite different once the night comes along on a deck like that, but as John says, once its been cold for a long period of time, especially in a small period of time right before sunrise, like from about 4 a.m till sunrise, it can drop to dangerous levels quite rapidly ...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Its a mid level deck with roof and floor could be green housed with clear roller blind or green house film.So far it holding heat 20 degrees more than outside. Tree and blooming and doing good even key limes fine.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes! Why don't you use a thick gauge painters protection plastic, you know the one you buy as a roll and staple it until you get full coverage...?
    the almost see through one...

I did that with my porch and I can leave them in there much longer than having to bring them in and I am in zone 5...

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Tcamp30144

Could you post a few pics of this micro area. That would help a lot.

Johnmerr

I promise not to use this as an excuse to post pictures of my puny sorry butt trees.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

I will tomorrow had to work today

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing fancy just heat mats with reflectors and propane heater I gets really cold.And large light boxes for seedlings.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yup!!! You can do it...Get painters thick gauge foggy looking plastic, wide enough to staple on the wood from top to bottom..It will keep it nice and warm, much warmer in their night and day!!!

Here is an example of what I did on an old porch...The materials you will need and the outcome...So easy, extra warm, lots of sunlight..I can even mist all my trees when they are in there and it gets very humid without the fear of mold or rot in the home.

{{gwi:638950}}

{{gwi:638952}}

{{gwi:638954}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks nice I did the north side for tonight. I'm going to plastic it in.tonight I can see it losing its 20 degree advantage. It is 36 out side and 45 on deck with heaters and heat mats. Soil in pots is 65 but still as is plants would live all winter but have some damage. If I plastic it in as suggested I can keep deck 70 all the time with heaters. So I will just turn my deck into a winter green house thanks for input.

• trianglejohn
    10 years ago

One trick I learned a couple winters ago when I was in the middle of moving from one house to another and we had a sudden cold snap - take the largest plastic tarp you can find (I can find them at a local factory seconds cheap cheap cheap store for around $10); move all the potted plants into a cluster in the middle of the yard (put something tall in the middle like a small ladder); drape everything with the tarp and stretch it out as wide as possible before anchoring it to the ground (I used some old cinder blocks but you could even do piles of dirt). The trick is to keep as much of the tarp as possible flat against the ground with only an airspace in the center where the plants are clustered. The ground lets off tiny amounts of heat, the tarp funnels that heat to the center where it keeps the plants about 10 degrees warmer than the outside air. If the lows are going to be in the single digits, then I would cover the tarp with extra layers of old blankets or dry leaves or wood chips. I was amazed at how warm it stayed under that tarp. The plants can only live like that for a few days but around here our cold weather usually ends after a couple of days.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok did it thanks for suggestions it is much warmer I can keep it 70 now when it gets 36 with heater.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I put a plastic curtain up in this area so I can just close off at night and open in day for air flow.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

That is fantastic!! YOu have the idea...

Just make sure that plastic is thick enough to keep the cold out like the one I recommended...

You can get it at home depot....I think 3m... Allow no cold air to get in at night..Make sure it's sealed tight by night.
    I would not open by day..I would trap the very warm air in there by the sun all day and leave it in there..
    You can use a fan to move your air but not need if on a plant or two in there....

You can also mist your trees creating a nice warm humid environment that will stay in that area...

Great job

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 7:53

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I still think you should take them in your bedroom. They will grow much better there and the electric lights will lessen your heating bill. By next spring you'll have the scent of citrus flowers to fall asleep to. An experience of a lifetime.

Steve.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I will take them in :tonight its going to be 29 tonight kind of afraid to leave them out that cold.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Let me ask you...

Have you been able to seal it off completely with a good plastic?
    If so, why not use a space heater to keep it warm during the night?

MIke

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a space heater and ran it last night. the problem is I live in an apartment complex. There is a deck over me and under me I have all the walls sealed really good. However the spaces between the floorboards let the air in. This morning I got up at 4 a.m. To take two temperatures. Soil was 65 degrees in all plants on heating pad. Plants not on heating pads where 51 for soil. Air temperature inside deck was 48 it was 33 out side. I had a space heater running inside.No plants are showing cold damage as of yet. However lemon tree is stuck in bloom mode growing very very slow. I feel the trees will live with this setup however they will go into dormantcy.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oh yes..They will live as you say...

Have you thought about putting plastic on the floor too to prevent the air from coming up or even a thin sheet of insulation...?

I would do anything to make good use of that area if I lived where you were...Your winter will nevr get as cold as mine and I think you could make good use of that space on your cold nights.....

My porch stays a good 20 degrees warmer than outside on cold days and with sun even warmer....

I only have to use the space heater if it is going to be in the 30's at night...

Thene there is a point that nothing will help and that is when winter is really here:-(

Original Author
    10 years ago

I covered floor with plastic and sealed all I could it was 91 on deck today and was56 outside. I think we will be fine :-) thank u for all help and input.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Was 29 last night stayed 65 on deck all night with heater yay.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Nice!!! I knew it would work! Now mist your trees and whalla, humid!

Mine was 55 although the temp was 29 degrees outside with just a small space heater set on 60...Yahoo...I think I will be able to keep them out there until about the end of November...

Happy for you...

Can you still sit out there and read a book while the flowers open up and fill your whole porch with the sweet odor? Love it

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I can its warm I can do all winter I feel out there think my heaters over kill.I live outside Atlanta GA so prob doesn't get as cold as u do. But the trees are happy lemon getting ready to bloom again so yes morning coffee with sweet citrus smell doesn't get much better.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

That's awesome.....I also heard you are suppose to be in the mid seventies in a couple of days...You can open the plastic at that time too...

You are so lucky....As long as you keep your temps above the 55 degree mark at most times in there, you will have consistent growth all winter !

Please let us know when they open and how you feel about that moment..

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Opening today happy more lemons yay trees are very happy there.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Awesome!!

Is it me or does your tree seem to be turning greener???

It looks nice. Now se a chair near your plants and enjoy a nice warm cup of tea or coffee...:-)

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

They are greening up feel they didnt like fall weather lol.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I knew it lol

They like temps above 55 consistently and your love...lol

You can even feed them all winter because of that!

Nice

MIke

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

This post has finally convinced my husband to consider an option like this for my plants. I hope it works out. If the plants don't do better, I'll have to get rid of them next year.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Camellia1

Welcome aboard. If you have any questions just ask and someone can usually help. It might take a week or a little more but usually someone can. I hope things go well so your husband stays on board.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Camellia...This is one option that has worked miracles for me and a few others!!

As long as you can provide lots of light and keep them warm, they will consistently grow for you..

I have some that do nothing, some that continually grow, and some that grow very slowly, but all are very healthy with the right care...

Great to have you!

MIke

Original Author
    10 years ago

My plants are very happy and are blooming just remember to mist it gets dry quick if u don't. All plants are putting out new growth now will do more pics soon been busy with work.it took me about 3hrs to build not to much work and easy to remove in spring.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

I normally put the poor things in the garage with hardly any light and hope for the best in Spring. We fight over space in there and where lights can hang. I had 12 beautiful specimens including one saved from Lowe's that was about to die and am now down to 6 - 2 satsumas, 1 lime, 1 naval orange, 1 meyer lemon and a lemon that I can't remember the type.

Winter is always tough for them but thanks to this post, I was able to convince him to consider some options. Of course, there are some negotiating going on still. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Steve, I do like the idea of them in the bedroom but our problem is we have too many trees around the house so no sunny pots in the rooms.

Thanks Mike! And thanks for the temp ranges for growth. I wasn't aware of it. I figured they knew when it was time to rest and grow. Great information!

Hong

This post was edited by Camellia1 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 22:15

Original Author
    10 years ago

Best thing I could of done for my plants for less than 40 bucks. Everything is growing and blooming now the is navel orange very tiny blind blooms growing.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Key lime blooms forming I'm glad this post helped someone else besides me.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

So jealous!...I had lost my key lime tree.

I guess that means there will be key lime pie for Christmas?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe lol ure will grow fast to once u fix ure house. I'm just happy they are growing thanks for all the help.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Very nice..I can see you are all having fun with your trees and areas thhat stay much warmer than outside..

Isn't it nice to be able to create humidity too with fear or mold inside the home?

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Still working well

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Yay! We built my little micro climate! I'm so excited!

My space was smaller than I wanted but I can't argue...I at least got a space.

Now, the weather is going to be in the 20's and possible flurries tomorrow night so I will have to find a heater that won't catch on fire. The flooring is dirt and pine straw so I have to be very careful!

My lime tree has a few buds on it and I can't help but do a "happy dance!"

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Heat with CFL light bulbs turn them on at midnight and leave them on until sunrise or above freezing outdoors..Wrap your root zones with insulation of choice and use christmas tree light around the pot. The insulation ( blanket fiberglass, etc ) , will hold the heat in to the pots No fire risk here

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

They are doing good so far Tuesday is first bitterly cold night supposed to get down to 24.
    So this will be the true test of all the precautions I had went to. Putting extra heater in there that night just to be sure it stays warm. Low 20s is about the coldest it gets here on rare occasions it gets colder. If the precautions work Tuesday nitght I know I'm good for winter

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Steve!! I will go shopping tomorrow.

Looks Good TCamp!

Original Author
    10 years ago

It holds to 50 with small heater with it 22 outside .thank u for all the help.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Just wonderful!

Looks like you are alls et for the, can smell the fragrance all year round, not worry about freeze, room, or space, and can sit back and relax...Good for you!

Mine are still on my porch at the same temps as yours actually on a 30 degree day or night..

When it got down to about 19 degrees the other night, the porch was still about 45 degrees..Yahoo..lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

He only thing I get is a little morning wilt on new growth. However this perks up when temp reaches 75 or so and plants look fine. Should I be worried about the wilt soil temp is 55 to 70 at night depending on plant. At night temp is 48 to60 depending on outside.day temp is 60 to. 85 soil and 75 to 90 air. So what's with wilt.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

No worry about the wilt. you can place some kind of sun shade in front of the tree that does not shade the pot to give the roots time to "wake up". This is how I handled mthe sweetlee trees after I transplanted them. The went into shade I created as the sun rose. It worked well.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Are those plants that wilt in plastic or clay pots?

Steve, a good idea..:-)

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm will try it is only one tree plastic pot. Didn't do it today maybe it got use to

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I think it will be just fine....It is just your certain trees toughning up..

Mike:-)