Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

Finally blooming

queensinfo
10 years ago

Aside from 2 flowers when I first got the tree, I am getting my first blooms with many many more coming. I can see all the tiny clusters starting to form. How many flowers generally turn into fruit? I was excited and just wanted to share pics!

Comments (7)

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More blooms on the way

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tiny tiny ones

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

More information... what variety, what rootstock, what type of potting soil, water and fert schedules, etc.

• andreanmurphy
    10 years ago

I bought a little 12" key lime tree at the grocery store last May and put on my roof deck all summer. at that time, it had 8 baby limes. I harvested 4 in August. Over the summer, i pinched off new flowers in hopes of boosting vitality of the tree. Right away, had many, many new flower clusters which became 28 baby limes in September. I pinched off about half that were in clusters because the tree is so small! Now inside, it gets about 5 hours of good sun a day and is thriving. I have been fertilizing with fish emulsion every three or four weeks, which it obviously enjoys. Should i continue to fertilize as long as there is fruit on the tree? I thought they were dormant in winter.

• andreanmurphy
    10 years ago

I bought a little 12" key lime tree at the grocery store last May and put on my roof deck all summer. at that time, it had 8 baby limes. I harvested 4 in August. Over the summer, i pinched off new flowers in hopes of boosting vitality of the tree. Right away, had many, many new flower clusters which became 28 baby limes in September. I pinched off about half that were in clusters because the tree is so small! Now inside, it gets about 5 hours of good sun a day and is thriving. I have been fertilizing with fish emulsion every three or four weeks, which it obviously enjoys. Should i continue to fertilize as long as there is fruit on the tree? I thought they were dormant in winter.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry John. You have helped with so many of my questions. It is one of your kind (a Meyer). Bought from 4 winds in march, so whatever rootstock they use. In 5-1-1 for soil. Water when needed if not raining. Probably overwatered a little. Used osmocote plus 2 x this year, a heavy dose a few weeks after planting and small dose in July. Also use foliar pro once or twice a month, no real schedule since watering was weather dependent.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

For a Meyer that age that appears to be very healthy, it will make a lot of little fruits. After the fruits are set, you should thin them at the BB to pea size, leaving no more than 2 in any one location. Later it may drop some more; but a young Meyer needs to be seriously thinned or it will keep too many fruits and "forget" to grow. When the tree gets to be about 4 or 5 years old, it will do a pretty good job of self thinning.
    If it is a Four Winds tree it is almost surely on semi-dwarfing rootstock call Cuban Shaddock.