Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

New satsuma and kumquat HELP

MeanNgreen
10 years ago

Hello all,
I just recently purchased a satsuma and kamquat tree from lowes both with fruit in them already. I just repotted the satsuma tree in a 14 inch self watering plastic container using only Miracle Gro general-purpose potting soil. I didn't think it would be an issue being that I'm new to gardening. I've since learned of this 5 1 1 mix and was thinking of repotting into that but am concerned about shocking plant too much being that I just moved it. Looks like it's doing good though. Has one big fruit in it. See pic. What should I do? It's been about a week now

Kamquat I am waiting on till I get the soil mix right to plant. Is a 14 inch plastic self watering pot ok for both these trees. They came in 3 gallon containers so it about 25% bigger. Is the 5 1 1 the way to go? Do I need to add the lime or is pine, moss and perlite enough.
THANKS

Comments (6)

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

Hey! Welcome to the joys of potted citrus!
    Mean N Green, I keep 4 four potted citrus myself and from what I've noticed, is that if the tree seems to like the medium that you put it in then there really isn't a good reason to repot it so soon.
    I have a calamondin in a all purpose MG soil. Like you I did this only because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
    The calamondin has been in this soil for over 8 yrs now and with a little fertilizer it grows crazy.

This year in Ohio we had 18 days of straight rain in June. Just make sure you have good drainage and you'll be fine

• arkberry
    10 years ago

I grow 6 satsuma so I think you made a great choice. I find they are very tough and forgiving. Three years ago I put my first plants into the MG product and I had some problems. Looking back with a few years behind me, the problem was me learning to properly water citrus. The MG soil compacted and retained too much water in the base of the pots and caused root rot. You may be a better at watering and this may not be a n issue with you.

After I killed my clemntine, I pulled the satsuma from the MG potting mix and put into a 511. The satsuma was in the MG mix for about two weeks. You are in a similar climate to us and should have a lot of warm days left with evenings in the 40. Based on my experience with satsuma and where you are located, I would replant the satsuma in the 511 and it should be fine.

I would not worry about the fruit. A lot of satsuma are fully ripe when the they are just turning from green. I have been eating some from my tress at about that same color and they are ripe.

• greyghost61
    10 years ago

Just curious, why would you not plant these trees in the ground? I have a few (4) satsumas in the ground and they have survived a snow covering (rare for south GA), an ice storm (once again rare down here) and a couple of winters when it got into the mid-teens all without protection and they grow like weeds, I have one right now covered with fruit that is beginning to change color, they are great tasting, and I have fruit on my other ones too, just not as much...they are newer to my yard. Same with my Kumquats, both sweet and sour varieties....I never protect them and they take all that the south GA winters will throw at them. I don't fertilize them like I should, nor do I water them much during drought conditions. I started planting them about 5 or so years ago and they have pretty much been plant and forget except for harvesting fruit and prunning them down to a size that I can manage.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

If I lived in Myrtle Beach, I'd have a whole orchard of Satsumas -- in the ground! My favorite citrus fruit!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

With a pot only 25% larger you are probably fine If you have any concerns you can do the following.

Seed grown Nagami and Meiwa kumquat trees

{{gwi:32373}}
    Drill a lot of vent holes in the side will allow breathing and a little faster drying through the winter months. You will be fine all sumer
    {{gwi:1912}}

You can plant other plants at the pots periphery to use up water. Just keep it away from the tree's trunk and you will have to foliage feed the tree as the plants will get the nutrients from the soil first. I used watermelon to draw excess water from my oversize potted Meiwa kumquat tree and it did very well

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey yall
    Thanks for the input. I just finished making a 511 and don't really have the ingredients for a gritty so gonna try it out. After mixing and adding lime should it sit for a few weeks before using to plant?

O and yes I'd love! to just plant these in the ground and be done with all this but next year I plan on getting a fence installed in our back yard and rather wait till then to plant so that I can place trees on furthest ends as to avoid taking up play space for my little ones. So plan is to build them up now and get the growing started... :)
    Here's some more pics. Added a Meyer lemon and a fig. Can't resist the urge to buy more...