Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Key lime holding too much fruit

Posted by yellowthumb 5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 23:10

Hi Guys,

I bought a nice two feet tall key lime tree this summer. It's a healthy bushy tree with one key lime and there are no thorns on the tree. I read somewhere that key lime is tropical, and sometimes not easy to set fruit.

I re-potted the tree into 5:1:1 mix, no single leaves lost, right now, it's loaded with pea sized limes. Most on the tips of the branches. Typically one tip would hold 5 or 6 fruits in a cluster. Should I think the fruit? I do observe one thing unusual, the flowers of the key lime tree is kind of tiny, and flower petals not full open with a stigma sticking out. Is there something wrong?

Thanks
YT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Key lime holding too much fruit

i have no first hand knowledge of key limes, as far as thinning the fruit, citrus trees will generally take care of that, but it doesn't hurt to thin it out a little.

the flowers do sound a bit odd. what are the growing conditions? light, water, soil, potted/in ground, temps, bugs, etc

o

Hi Yt,
What your finding with your key lime flowers is nothing unusual. Some of the flowers wont be fertile. These flowers wont have the stigma sticking out. Also, what houston texas is saying about the fruit needing to be thinned is dead on. I think I read somewhere that only 10% of the fruits will hold on. IT may actually be less than that but your tree will only hold onto what it can without stressing the tree itself.

Andrew

o

I have a key lime and it acts just like what you have posted. Mine is about 3-4 feet tall and I get maybe 20 fruit. Mine are on the small side about the size of a large marble. It was set back this spring when I did a complete bare root so Im sure thats why they are smaller than what I expected.

Mike

o

Thanks guys for the help.

The growing condition is not bad at all. It's being kept warm, and we had excellent summer this year. I just hope it's just transplant shock. At least I got limes, but nice flowers is always a big bonus for me.

Thanks
YT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here