Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Dwarf Meyer Lemon-Indoor and Outdoor

Posted by connecticutbug Connecticut (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 23:17

I've had a dwarf meyer lemon tree for about 5 years now in a container and it is time to upgrade the pot. I already bought a pot one size up, and am battling with what type of soil I should use.

I keep the plant indoors for about 8 months of the year, and outdoors for about 4 months.

Soil Recommendations? Can anyone give some recommendations on a good soil that I can purchase at Home Depot, or a Garden center already mixed in a reasonable ratio?

The seller suggests that I use a soil that is light and drains well, and if it has a lot of peat that I should mix cedar shavings in to help with drainage. Also, that I should use a soil specified for outdoor usage to ensure it does not have wetting agents.

Below I linked to a soil mix that I found on this forum, but was never sure if its ideal to go out and find all the ingredients, or if there is something that already exists since I only need a small amount to fill one pot.

My main questions are:
-Does a soil exist that I can purchase that is already mixed in a good ratio?
-If not, what do you recommend I use/mix?
-Anyone know of a good fertilizer? I currently use Miracle grow mir-acid that I mix into water every once in a while. I'm guessing there is something better out there.

Thanks everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils from this forum-Al's Mix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Dwarf Meyer Lemon-Indoor and Outdoor

Yes, in fact there is!

Look up your local 'Fafard' mix distributor and you can buy one of their heavier mixes.
There's the 'Fafard' 52, 51 and 3 mixes. There is more pine bark than peat in them...With the Nursery mix, you may have to add perlite, but it holds the most pine bark.

Mike

o

Thanks for the recommendation. Doesn't look like Farard mix is available anywhere around me. Any other recommendations?

One local garden center recommended Coast of Maine "Bar Harbor Blend". Organic with a few things mixed in. Think this will be ideal if I mix in a little extra perlite?

Any input on this mix appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coast of Maine

o

Well, it says will require less watering which worries me. It may be a great mix for annuals?

Don't you have access to pine bark?

You could make your own.....How about a Lowe's...Do you have one near by?
You do have plenty of options. It just depends on how much work you want to put in this. If you understand the concepts of mixes in containers, it will drive you to look for the best, make your own, or make do with what you are stuck with.

I am not particularly fond of most bagged mixes with too many fine particles since they collaspe fast, draw bugs, hold to much moisture too long, suffocate roots with in a short time, deprive roots of much needed oxygen, accumulate salts, limit your frequent waterings, and the structure of it may start out fine, but fall apart with a short time.

Of course the roots of a plant is the heart of it. So making your roots as happy as can be is a good start, especially with citrus.

Let me know what you come up with, please. If you are limited to a bagged mix, you could always amend it to meet your trees requirements to remain healthy and strong.

Here is what helped me understand how mixes work in containers. I hope this helps you decide what to do, use, look for.

Mike:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils-Water Movement

o

Well, it says will require less watering which worries me. It may be a great mix for annuals?

You do have plenty of options. It just depends on how much work you want to put in this. If you understand the concepts of mixes in containers, it will drive you to look for the best, make your own, or make do with what you are stuck with.

I am not particularly fond of most bagged mixes with too many fine particles since they collaspe fast, draw bugs, hold to much moisture too long, suffocate roots with in a short time, deprive roots of much needed oxygen, accumulate salts, limit your frequent waterings, and the structure of it may start out fine, but fall apart with a short time.

Of course the roots of a plant is the heart of it. So making your roots as happy as can be is a good start, especially with citrus.

Let me know what you come up with, please. If you are limited to a bagged mix, you could always amend it to meet your trees requirements to remain healthy and strong.

Here is what helped me understand how mixes work in containers. I hope this helps you decide what to do, use, look for.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here