Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do HB Pummelos typically ripen?

Posted by jaybird3316 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 23:20

This is my first successful season of growing HB pummelos. I have about 9 big ones on my tree. They have turned from a dark green to a lighter yellow.

When do they typically ripen? November/December?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do HB Pummelos typically ripen?

As with many citrus, the maturity depends a lot on where you are growing them. Example, in California and Arizona they don't get ripe till late January; but in Florida and South Texas they get ripe starting in late October. The HB, Hirado Buntan, is one of the main varieties grown in Japan; it typically ripens there in February. There are also a lot grown in the Philippines in the South island of Mindanao; and there they ripen in October. The best pomelos or pummelos for eating are typically left on the tree longer, to get bigger, sweeter, and, if you will, "drier", less juicy. Personally I much prefer the Chandler, or the pink variety they grow in Thailand. I don't know the name of it; but to my taste virtually all tropical fruits taste better in Thailand.

o
RE: When do HB Pummelos typically ripen?

Thank you. That is really good information. I may have to just try one. I have about 9 on the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here