Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Is it okay to give citrus epsom salt along with dyna-gro?

MileHighGardener
9 years ago

Hey guys, i was wondering if i could combine giving my citrus tree dyna-gro as the primary fertilizer and misting the tree with epsom salt can it be done will i over fertilize doing this?

1. if i can combine the two what dose would you recommend of epsom salt and how frequent to apply?

Comments (32)

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Yeah i forgot to mention is it recommended to even mist citrus? mine is indoors

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Why would you want to give your tree Epsom Salts if the fertilizer you are using already has Mg in it?

Is your tree yellowing? Is that why you are asking?

MIke

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Mike, i haven't heard from you in a long time, to answer your question no my bears lime canopy is really healthy its a dark green. The reason that i ask is because i like to baby my tree. I mean, if misting it with epsom salt with make it even healthier why not? since you commented mind checking my tree out? Any room for improvement? Also I've had this tree since august and haven't seen any new leaf buds should i be seeing them soon?

Thanks, Mile

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Image 2

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

image 3

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

hello Mile..Your trees are just perfect! With extra sunlight, fertilizer and warmth, they should grow very well..By fix something if it's not broken...Those trees are beautiful and you know your mixes well..That mix looks beautiful!

I am glad you are well and your trees are such a pretty color.
    John hit it right on the head. i would never spray my trees with salt)

Improvement? More sunlight, that's it! the more sunlight, the more growth and flowers.

MIke

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks John & Mike! i appreciate both of your help i hope your trees are doing well mike! I'm guessing your starting to bring them indoors right about now.!

Also! i had a question for you what do new leaf buds look like? Can you upload a picture I'm not quite sure what to look for. all of the new foliage fell off the tree when it arrived from the traveling stress, but its been really healthy ever since! I can't wait till i see flower buds hmm.. who's knows when. But i hope soon, as well as new foliage!

Mile

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Here's my Owari satsuma

{{gwi:595234}}

And my Meyer lemon.

{{gwi:633255}}

Evan

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Evan,

Give your Meyer a little more food. A well fed Meyer has new growth that has a reddish brown tint; the growth then changes to lighter green; and finally to dark green.
    A Meyer almost tells you if it has enough food.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

John, I just planted it about 3 weeks ago, I've done nothing but water it with my irrigation that waters the rest of my citrus trees and it's already showing signs of growth, should I feed it already? Or is it too soon?
    Evan

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Don't fertilize a newly transplanted tree until it shows new growth; the absence of fertility encourages the roots to grow in search of food and water. After the roots grow, the leaves and shoots will grow; and they need fertilizer. When you see the start of a new flush is the time to fertilize with a good citrus fertilizer according to label directions.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

So you're saying the next flush, not this flush that's happening right now. Right?
    Evan

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

No, Evan... THIS flush. The roots have grown into the new environment and now are putting out new growth. If we assume you have not fertilized until now, which is the correct way to go; then now is the time to apply fertilizer and to apply it on a regular basis from here on.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

I wasn't going to fertilize until the spring, but I can throw a little bit of fertilizer on it. What would you suggest I use? The fertilizer I use on the rest of my trees is an organic fertilizer and probably not suited for the Meyer tree. I use Jobe's organics and its a 3-5-5 NPK ratio. Or I have vigoro spikes that are 12-5-8 NPK ratio. Here is a picture of the analysis on the package.

{{gwi:639403}}

Evan

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Evan, easy on the fertilizer, as we head into winter. Vigoro is a perfectly fine fertilizer, you can go with that. I use it often. It's easy to get, reasonably priced. Water first, fertilize, then water the fertilizer in. I would only apply about 1/2 the amount recommended right now, you really don't want a bunch of young flush right now, that could get nipped of during a potentical cold snap in the next couple of months. Your trees look great btw.

Patty S.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

The OP referred to Vigoro spikes. I'd have serious doubts on the efficacy of spikes as a readily water soluble source of nutrients and then there is the question of the spikes themselves. If you are instructed to use only one or two (as would be the case with most containerized plants), you are concentrating the nutrients in a single area of the root system. As they dissolve, they may not distribute those nutrients very uniformly and a lot may be leached out before they can permeate throughout the root ball.

It would be much better to use a fully water soluble fertilizer -- either granular that dissolves completely in water before application or a liquid fertilizer. If you feel the need to use up what you have, then grind up the spikes and dissolve them as best you can in water, then water in as your fertilizer.

I'm not all sure how the notion of Epsom salts as an all-purpose plant health booster got started but it is simply not a valid proposition - there is no scientific evidence to support it. Yes, it can be an appropriate amendment IF a magnesium deficiency has been determined, but otherwise, it will do you more good in your bath than it will ever do for your plants.

If you are using a fertilizer like Foliage Pro with added trace elements (or even the Vigoro in a fully water soluble form), then there is little likelihood that a magnesium deficiency exists. Ergo - skip the Epsom salts.

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of Epsom salts

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

Foliage Pro has Magnesium. The above label of Vigoro Spikes shows it does NOT.

Vigoro Citrus & Avocado DOES, but the NPK ratio is WAY off the desired 3-1-2 ratio for citrus.

I believe Johnmerr was suggesting a bit different ratio for Meyers than other citrus. Possibly getting a bit picky for most of us.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey guys do you see any thing here that may develop into leaf buds, flowers?

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Image 2

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

image 3

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

image 4. All i seem to see is thorns growing on the tree

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Mile High... does that have a new meaning now???

I think it is time to stop stressing over your tree and just watch it and learn. People have given you good advice here; but most of them don't really have the time to hold your hand every day. Sorry, but the reg'lars here know I am striving to be a certified international curmudgeon.

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

Hi MileHighGardener,

I'm not seeing any signs of growth in your immediate future. Normally, right before a tree pushes out a flush, the buds get noticeably larger (but even that can be misleading). From what I'm seeing in your pictures, they just look like your usual dormant buds. It's unlikely your tree will grow in the winter unless you keep the temperatures high and give it plenty of light (windows don't usually cut it, unless they're big and face directly south).

And like John said, don't stress about it--just watch. It is a tree, so it won't really "change" fast. Generally speaking for the winter, unless it starts to drop leaves like mad, it's doing just fine--so keep doing what you're doing.

-Tom

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

MileHigh, I think you just need to be patient. What John said. Fertilize appropriately (no spikes please) as we've recommended, plenty of light, even if you have to supplement the light, water appropriately. Watch for any pests such as spider mites or scale, which tend to be the bain of indoor citrus growers. You tree will eventually push out new flush.

Patty S.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey guys real quick question there is three leaves on bottom of the tree that look like this could they just be old leaves? the reason that i ask is to just make sure i am not over watering thanks.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

leaf 2

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

Hi MileHigherGardener,

Your tree is going to drop those yellowish-veined leaves in the very near future. From my experience, it's just sapping the life from them (pun intended) get ready for new growth down the road. It usually happens because of 1) changing light conditions and 2) lack of fertilizer, but in your case, I'd say it's from the varying light conditions. Trees know to drop their oldest leaves first.

I wouldn't panic... the new leaves will be more adapted to the lower light levels than the old.

-Tom

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice Tom, Wish me luck!!!

Mile

• flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a) Creshio
    8 years ago

Hey MileHigh
    I got a cocktail lime/meyer about the same time you got your tree last year too. The lemon side has gone through two flushes already but this past week is the first that the lime side has started new growth with two new shoots of leaves. Still no blossoms, but they can't be too far behind. I keep mine outside on my back lanai, so it gets the max amt of sunlight. Hopefully you are seeing new growth by now too?

Right now I'm worried about the life of my plant since when I first purchased it it had strange looking bugs I thought were aphids. Now that I'm reading up on HLB and ACP, I'm worried that might be what I saw. They were similar but honestly my memory isn't strong enough to rely on. I guess I have to just wait to see if it develops any symptoms. There is a bit of yellowing on a couple leaves but soon to tell. Blissfully ignorant before of the blight those who grow citrus have been facing, it is rather daunting.

• tom1328732
    8 years ago

Did you see little white waxy tendrils from the potential ACP? Otherwise... keep an eye out, and if you see them again, snap a picture!

-Tom

• flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a) Creshio
    8 years ago
    I should've taken one before but unfortunately I didn't. I thought they were aphids so I treated with neem and haven't seen them since. I've been told since then that neem can hurt my blossoms so haven't used it since. I only think it was ACP because they looked similar and kept their rear in the air like them and were very active and jumped liked fleas..there were lots of them, mainly around the ends of the branches. Do you think I'm in trouble?