Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Not Growing

Posted by Jack_Tripper 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 0:24

I brought back this 1-year old dwarf rootstock Meyer from Home Depot about 5 months ago, and it doesn't seem to have grown much. Last week, I noticed it lost some leaves. It gets about 4 hours of sunlight daily. I use Vigoro citrus food granules every 2 months.

Is this normal? Is the stick that it came tied to impeding its growth? When should I remove it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Not Growing

6 hours minimum. Sunlight is key

o

6 hours minimum. Sunlight is key

o

I agree with Joe, possibly not enough sunlight, and it appears to be a bit dry (soil looks dry, leaves are cupping). I would be sure you've got enough water, sounds like enough fertilizer, so maybe it is a combination of water and lack of sunlight. I would wait through the winter to see if it sends out a new flush in the spring before moving it, though. This is the time that citrus in our area tend to slow down their growth (through the winter months).

Patty S.

o

Thanks. Should I remove the stick so it can grow faster? If not yet, whe should I remove it?

o

Remove the stick now; or alternatively lower the ties 3-4 inches every 3 months until it is not tied at all.

Staking a tree only assures that it will break in the future.

o

Wait, when you say sunlight...Are you meaning direct sun?

Like direct sunshine on your plant...Because sunlight and direct sun is too different things..

Do you fertilize as suggested here...They are heavy eaters and need good fertilizer to grow

Mike

o

I did not know staking a tree would make it break. It came that way from Home Depot.

Yes, 4 hours direct sunlight.

o

4 hours direct sunlight is enough for a Meyer to produce a lot of fruit. I think your issue is really food and water.

o

Hey, Jack.
I agree with the others. Remove that stake tonight even, and relocate the stake at least 6 inches away from the trunk, and then tie the stake loosely to a prominent branch so that there remains some natural play in the trunk. Keep the tree tied only until the roots are established and there is no chance of the tree being blown or knocked over.

As Mike was suggesting, four hours of direct sun is a fair amount. Who knows, the tree might do very well with consistent watering and fertilization and time. Patty's advice is good - give it a chance to flush with new foliage this Spring, then move it if it doesn't perform.

What kind of soil there? Compacted, fine, muddy? Also, can you take a pic of the area when it receives sun?

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here