Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics from my aunt's yard

Posted by houstontexas123 z9a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 0:49

visited my family today. took some pics of my aunt's citrus.

a sour mandarin, aunt's gonna cut it down, and is thinking about a blood orange to replace it.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

a sweet orange

Ponderosa lemon

foreground is a kumquat, behind it is a sweet mandarin

other side of the mandarin

yes, the chickens eat cat food.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics from my aunt's yard

Those are some large citrus trees! How cute that the chickens and kitties all get along!

Patty S.

o

looks like the mandarin my Mother had in her garden in Sacramento; I seem to remember it was Satsuma, but that could be wrong. I know quite a little about citrus; but no matter what we did, those fruits were always sour! Finally took it out and put a Meyer in it's place; everyone, including the mailman was happy for that!

o

love the cat buffet

o

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 5:40

Seems a shame to cut down such a beautiful tree. I'd love to be able to grow anything similar here in England!
Before you replace with a blood orange, check that they perform in your local area. They are quite particular in their climate requirements, and will otherwise produce a smallish, not-very-sweet orange with no red coloration.

I always admire Johnmerr for being a great ambassador for Meyer's Lemons. However, I can't be the only one who's not so keen on them. I find them too sour to be eaten like a sweet orange or mandarin, and not lemony enough to be used as a true lemon.

o

Houston! Wow. Can I pull a chair up and sit under one of those trees while in full bloom? Just beautiful and big!!
You are so lucky to go there any time you want too.

Now, they have a program about animals that get along that usually would not and you should submit! lol
I have never seen cats eating out of the same bowl as chickens..lol

Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

Mike

o

citrange,

Ambassador? for Meyers?? I have 16,000 trees now; and believe it or not, England is the ONLY place on the planet where the introduction of Meyers was less than a stellar experience. Go figger... the English like the horribly bitter flavor of "lime" for gin and tonic; they will likely never be educated to the finer flavors of lemon. Sorry for being a curmudgeon; but I am of "English" ancestry.. a Celt in truth; and I have never understood the lack of culinary appreciation in the UK... apologies to Gordon Ramsey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here