Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overcaffeinated

need to prune mature lemon/limes in new house. how?!?

overcaffeinated
13 years ago

As I mentioned in a previous post on a different topic, I recently moved into a new house in Phoenix with 3 mature-ish citrus trees (3-4 years old? But they are at least 12 ft tall).

It appears that they have never been pruned and are VERY thick, spikey, and possibly need additional maintenance that I don't even know about.

1) Lisbon (?) lemon - very thick, over-growing the back neighbor's fence a bit. Produces big fruit, but from what I would expect, not as plentiful.

2) Nursery says it's a Bearrs lime, based on a sample. I still have doubts - I believe it has a large "sucker" growth (this is new terminology for me). How do I remove this? Is it too late? Fruit seems to not taste as good as I would expect. IMO, little fruit for lots of uncontrolled branches.

3) Mexican lime - in the best shape of them all, but still doesn't seem like it's ever been pruned.

All of these are MUCH taller and thicker than I would like. With all of the thorns and the trees' height, it's very hard to reach fruit and limbs.

When and how should I begin??? Help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus