Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need to prune mature lemon/limes in new house. how?!?

Posted by overcaffeinated 9b - Phx, AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 1:24

As I mentioned in a previous post on a different topic, I recently moved into a new house in Phoenix with 3 mature-ish citrus trees (3-4 years old? But they are at least 12 ft tall).

It appears that they have never been pruned and are VERY thick, spikey, and possibly need additional maintenance that I don't even know about.

1) Lisbon (?) lemon - very thick, over-growing the back neighbor's fence a bit. Produces big fruit, but from what I would expect, not as plentiful.

2) Nursery says it's a Bearrs lime, based on a sample. I still have doubts - I believe it has a large "sucker" growth (this is new terminology for me). How do I remove this? Is it too late? Fruit seems to not taste as good as I would expect. IMO, little fruit for lots of uncontrolled branches.

3) Mexican lime - in the best shape of them all, but still doesn't seem like it's ever been pruned.

All of these are MUCH taller and thicker than I would like. With all of the thorns and the trees' height, it's very hard to reach fruit and limbs.

When and how should I begin??? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need to prune mature lemon/limes in new house. how?!?

Hey caffeine

if you could post some pics of the trees and be sure to include a good picture of the lowest branches it will help us get you headed the right direction. Reason for that is we can help you determine if you have rootstock suckers growing from below the graft. Any branches that have leaves significantly different from the rest are typically rootstock. Large thorns can also be a sign of either rootstock growth or that the tree is a seedling. You can prune them to your liking whenever you wish. Doing a prune before spring can limit blooms though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here