Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf citrus repotting

Posted by kellitapita tx (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 4:02

I have a dwarf orange and a dwarf lemon in serious need of repotting. The fruit is coming ripe right now and I've started harvesting. They really need to go into new pots with fresh soil, but I'm not sure of the right time. Any suggestions? Also, the orange is healthy, but the lemon is showing some yellowing of the leaves. They've had adequate water and aren't showing any signs of water distress.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf citrus repotting

Repot after you've removed all the fruit, kelli. And, be sure you're fertilizing every month, and your lemon probably needs a bit more fertilizer than the orange, as lemons can be very prolific fruit producers, which uses up a lot of the tree's energy.

Patty S.

o

Hey, Kelli!
How/where are you growing these? I see TX, but are these indoors, outdoors, in a greenhouse?
In general, Citrus are best re-potted in the Spring, between growth flushes. This makes for the fastest
recovery, assuming the plant is healthy.

On the lemon, which leaves are yellowing? The lowest, oldest? Again, indoors?
As Patty mentioned, don't neglect to fertilize - fertilize consistently.

Josh

o

They're in big pots outdoors on a patio. They're happy enough, and producing, just need a bigger home. Any recommendations on what kind of fertilizer is best?

And on the lemon, oldest leaves first, on edges. Not dropping them though.

o

Well, there are a number of good fertilizers on the market.
I personally use Foliage Pro 9-3-6, but other brands produce excellent results, too.
As for the oldest leaves dropping on the lemon...that is natural most of the time, but fertilization will
slow the process and keep the leaves green, longer.

Josh

o

Kelli, I also use Foliage Pro 9-3-6, as well as Osmocote Plus (it MUST be the "Plus", as there are several Osomote formulations. This one has a better NPK ratio plus, more importantly, the micronutrients as well.) My container citrus have done exceptionally well with this combination. I use a time release because I sometimes forget to fertilize my container citrus (bad potted plant tender - almost everything else in a pot at my place is a succulent for good reason!)

Patty S.

o

How big the pots you have your trees in. I used 10 gallons pots. I am thinking about 20 Gallons pots or may be 15 Gallons. The problem is the bigger pots are very difficult to maneuver because I have to move them inside in winter.
Another thing do you allow the roots to travel in the garden I guess not because you have them on the patio. I allow mine to have their roots travel in the Garden soil through holes. I do that because the roots get very crowded in the pot and you have to trim it every few years.
Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here