Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salsa_mom

Moving Meyer lemon inside for winter

Salsa_Mom
9 years ago

Hello all -
New to this forum.

Have a Meyer lemon in a terra cotta pot. Bought and planted it March 2014. It's been outside for the summer on our back deck and has provided us with two lemons (one right now that I need to pick). Cool!
It's in Miracle Gro citrus potting mix and during the summer I fed it with Citrus-Tone fertilizer about once a month.
It's about 3' tall.
It's been in the garage for the last month since it's been cold here in middle TN. We have put it outside in the sun on any nice warm days.
It's now so cold I think it's time to bring it into our house.
I have a good window to put it in front of, we use a humidifier and keep humidity around 40%.
I know not to over-water.

Should I give it any Citrus-Tone over the winter?
I remember reading somewhere that citrus are heavy feeders and need extra nutrients when in containers - but maybe that's wrong?

Any other things to do for it for being inside this winter?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

During winter months I don't feed mine at all unless they are actively growing and in a long hours sunny warm or full light spot, like a greenhouse.

Many feed theirs if they are under artificial lighting set-ups that keep them constantly growing..

In lower light levels situations, I found that fertilizing pushes spindly weak growth susceptible to spider mites and other bad pests..

Also too, the type of soil you are using will accumulate salt deposits causing rapid decline in the vigor of your tree unless you plan on flushing your mix out at least once a month. This too will make your tree susceptible to pests.

Don't worry if it drops leaves, as long as you are not over or under watering it. It will try to adjust to the light and temp levels indoors...Sometimes this happens and other times it does not..

Welcome to this forum and I hope you stick around)

MIke

• Salsa_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Mike!

I enjoy this forum.

I just want the lemon plant to survive. I am excited it produced two lemons this year already.
    Our garage is getting too cool - so hubby and I are going to lug it into the living room later today.

Speaking of salts in the soil - I largely let mother nature water this lemon when it was outside. A time or two when it was particularly dry I did water it till water was running out the bottom to 'flush' it out.
    Trying to figure out a good way to do this inside a few times this winter.
    Hubby insisted on a terra cotta pot which takes both of us to lift!
    Open to tips on 'flushing' it while inside.
    If it matters - our water here is very hard.
    Would it be better to water it sometimes with distilled water or some other kind of water?

Thanks!

• TheRiGuy Manitoba Canada Zone -3a
    9 years ago

this is my set up for winter watering:
    {{gwi:640081}}

some people say that putting the pot in the shower and flushing with cool water works well but in my case its too heavy to be carring around so I use that set up so that I can flush with every watering

• Woadie007
    9 years ago

My set up for winter, using an extra bathroom.

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

Here's what I do:

Because I have to water frequently in the gritty mix, I ended up buying storage tubs and balancing the plants on large tuna cans. I have to manually drain it once every two weeks or so (or sooner if I find algae getting a little too thick). It's worked well for me the last two winters since I started doing it.

-Tom