Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axier

Are not Eureka and Carrizo incompatible??

... I thought that until now ...
But today I saw in a superstore, selling Eureka plants grafted on Carrizo.
Those blue labels are only from certified citrus nurseries, and are supervised by Valencia Government Agricultural department.
It is the first time I've seen for sale Eurekas on Carrizo.

{{gwi:640089}}

{{gwi:640091}}

{{gwi:640093}}

Comments (24)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

From what I know, yes.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR: Citrus Rootstock Compatibility Chart

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

This is the first I have heard about such incompatibility; I am not saying it is wrong, or that it IS compatible, just that I have never heard that. Carrizo is a common rootstock that any number of nurseries offer as a rootstock option without caveat.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

As I read that chart, it shows no information for that combination, neither compatible or incompatible.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Grafters for super store graft on what works well in the shop. Whether it is alive 5 years from now is not important. I can't say about lemons as I was interested in the meiwa kumquat.

The meiwa kumquat trees were all dead in 5 years on Carrizo citrange. There are very good choices for the meiwa, but every one uses carrizo because it is easy to graft. If they sell these to orchards, they graft to a rootstock that works. The same may be with your lemon. Meyer lemons die on poncirus trifoliata.

Buyer beware and check out the link below to see what I mean. Top of page 182

Here is a link that might be useful: http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1998-vol-111/180-182%20(FERGUSON).pdf

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

John, Eureka lemons here in S. California are never grafted to Carrizo. Greg, pull up the chart, again, are read the Eureka lemon column. There is an "I" for Incompatible across from Carrizo rootstock. I have never seen it here on Carrizo. You will see it on Volk or Yuma Ponderosa. Mine is on Volk.

Patty S.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John, most of the literature I have read, as Patty says, notes that Eureka is incompatible with Carrizo.
    Because of this was my surprise to see these plants on sell.
    Although the same thing is said regarding Eureka on Poncirus Trifoliata and many people says that Eureka grows very well on PT.

Here you can see an Australian document about citrus rootstocks:

Growing lemons in Australia- a production manual

And here a table of this document:

{{gwi:640095}}

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

Patty,
    Sorry for my misinformation. I clearly followed the wrong line, twice!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Axier

You have the chart. Follow it. You will be correct. As with me and my Meiwa there are Superior rootstock to what was considered the perfect rootstock 20 years ago, but the grafter for big box stores use carrizo with a 5 year compatibility rate of "ALL DEAD". The tree comes with a 1 year warranty. You must have done some thing wrong. "We'll give you 20% off if you wish to try again.

No Thanks I'll buy according to my compatibility chart. Bide your time. You'll take a year or 2 longer, but you won't be starting from scratch in 5 years replacing a dead tree.

I myself have been burned on fruit trees so many times this way that I don't have the confidence to buy. I grow ALL my trees from seeds or cuttings with much better success. Good luck

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 12:42

Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve, probably, the incompatibility between Eureka and Carrizo won't be so drastic.
    It will take more years to show symptoms. In any case, too much time for a nursery refund :-))
    As you, I prefer to propagate my plants, but not always it is possible.

• pip313
    9 years ago

No but it's always possible to graft replacements before they go. Just plan ahead and chop a scion off of a plant with the rootstock you like most and either root cuttings or wait for it to fruit and give you more seeds than you could use.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Pip, I am growing two rootstock for seeds, FA5 (Forner Alcaide 5)* and C35.
    Roostock plants or seeds are not easy to buy in small quantities (I mean reliable sources).
    In few years I will have my own source of rootstock seeds.

It is one plant of FA5 with C35 grafted on it, if I like other rootstock variety in the future, I will graft on it.

* Regarding the above link, despite the title "Two new...". don't be misled, FA5 was originated in an Spanish breeding program initiated in 1974, and the mentioned document is of 2003. So FA5 is an "old acquaintance" of Spanish citrus investigators.

This post was edited by axier on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 6:08

• Barry Newman
    3 years ago

I have just bought a 2 eureka lemons from different suppliers here in UK. One is on volkameriana and the other on carrizo which is supposed to be incompatible. But why? Both have the blue official label. I am wondering whether to bother with the carrizo at all.

• Silica
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Carrizo Is incompatible with Eureka lemon, although the age at which incompatibility becomes evident varies quite considerably over locations and perhaps even among Eureka selections

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

some times you have to find other one that are compatible

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

Howard Carizo is a poncirus trifoliate hybrid. You don't want it.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    3 years ago

4 winds sells small quantities of rootstock

• Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a
    3 years ago

"Troyer and Carrizo citranges. These rootstocks cannot be used with Eureka lemon due to incompatibility problems. When using Lisbon or other varieties there are small but significant differences in performance between these two rootstocks. Both are suited to replant soils where calcium (free lime) levels are not high and both have good tolerance to nematodes, Phytophthora and other replant diseases. They are inferior to Rough lemon and C. volkameriana for translocation of soil water from the roots to the leaves and fruit. Citrange rootstocks tend to produce smaller fruit."

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/137713/5a-lemon-rootstocks.pdf

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

try grafting to ponderosa lemon

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

Marumi kumquats make excelent dwarfing rootstock keeping trees smaller than Flying dragon. They are very cold hardy down below 10F.

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

ok

• socalnolympia
    3 years ago

incompatibility in rootstocks does not necessarily immediately show up. it can sometimes take 2 or 3 years. it's believed that such incompatibility could, in part, be due to differing growth rates.

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

ponderosa lemon get up to 5lbs eureka lemon might be compatible with them

• Silica
    3 years ago

socalnolympia, some incompatibilities can not show up for 15 or so years. -

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

that I had no knowledge of but large lemon trees should be compatible with other large lemon varieties