Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubba62

Changsha mandarin pollination

bubba62
12 years ago

My "Changsha" mandarin has been completely hardy outdoors here in SE VA for 6 years, and last spring was completely covered in blooms. However, not one fruit was produced. Since there were no freezes, frosts or other adverse weather events after the flowers opened, I can only assume they weren't pollinated, although I did see bees and other insects visiting the tree. Does this variety require another cultivar for successful pollination and fruit production, and if so, what would be a possible match? Poncirus trifoliata is also hardy here, if that would work, but almost no other citrus will survive even the mildest of our winters.

Comments (4)

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

I think mandarin trees need to cross pollinate, so you will need another mandarin tree that bloom at the same time to get some fruits.

Sam

• mrtexas
    12 years ago

Most citrus including Changsha do not need cross pollination and only produce seeds that are clones even if pollinated, called polyembrony. Bad luck I suppose!

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• tantanman
    12 years ago

Is this tree a seedling? It is quite common for seedling trees to bloom and not bear fruit or drop all fruit for a year or two before holding a crop.

I had several trees to skip blooming this spring due to the long and terrible winter.

• bubba62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all. It's not a seedling - it was rooted cutting given to me by a friend about 10 years ago, but this was its first bloom, so maybe that is a factor.