Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyerlemon_gw

Is this Benton?

meyerlemon
9 years ago

Hello,

We found a citrus rootstock with a fruit on the farm , we suspect this is Benton but we are not sure. Can you help me to identify this rootstock variety?

I attached fruit and leaf photos.

Thanks,

Comments (7)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

If you like meiwa kumquats and that is Benton, you have what is currently known as the BEST rootstock for comparability, production, growth, and still have the extreme cold tolerance.
    If you are open to giving/trading seeds let us know. If anyone want meiwa kumquats on Benton they will have to graft it them selves. No one grafts meiwa to the right rootstock for home orchards and enthusiasts. I can't help you on your question.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 9:23

• meyerlemon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve but I think you meant to send this one to another topic :)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Well, I think Steve was trying to tell you that if this is Benton trifoliate rootstock, and if you like Meiwa kumquats, this is a good rootstock to graft Meiwa to. I'm not sure why he's posting this, other than to gain seeds from you (if it is Benton)? Probably would have been more appropriate for Steve to send you a private email, asking for seeds if this is indeed, identified as Benton trifoliate rootstock.

To your question: Whether or not this is Benton citrange (trifoliate) rootstock. This rootstock is rarely used in California, so I can't really help you out, there. Think it is more of an Australia rootstock or a Florida rootstock, so I would contact your local ag agency or ag university with your photos, and see if they can help you ID your rootstock. Another option is to try to post your photos and questions on the Citrus Grower's Forum:
    http://citrus.forumup.org/?mforum=citrus

There are a fair number of international members there, and they may be able to help you ID your rootstock.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

According to his page, meyerlemon lives in Turkey. Who knows what they do in Turkey; but it does look like Benton citrange. It is used a lot for lemons in Australia, where it was created.

John

This post was edited by Johnmerr on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 15:30

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Patti

Mi citrus career is over and I have no want for Benton seeds or rooted cuttings. I do talk to kumquat enthusiast that would love to know that Benton is their best choice of rootstock should they wish to try their hand at grafting. I was just trying to suggest that meyerlemon might be interested in trading and There are other that would want the seeds. There are a lot of people that look at all the citrus treads as they come into being.

My first post was awfully wordy to state that I was not hinting that I want seeds. I don't Meyerlemon wrote back. I edited the extra English out and sent a statement of my editing and for the reason for my wordiness. Later the message got lost from my sent mail column and I am wondering if the message made it. I don't want to resubmit for fear of being a pest.

I take peoples privacy very seriously. This is a forum and I don't know anyone by person.

John I almost always look at what country and what side of the equator the writer is from. I just forgot this time.
    the mailing of seed/scions would be inappropriate.

I will leave this up for a couple of days then I will replace both of my entries with deleted message.

meyerlemon You are so lucky to have a Benton.

Steve

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Steve,

I think your original response was pretty clear... that you are a big fan of Benton citrange as a rootstock for kumquats. I know you are a grower mostly from seed; and if you have an interest in Benton seeds, I am sure you can get them from Australia, and likely also get permission to import them to U.S.
    My few kumquats are grafted to my favorite rootstock, Macrophylla; and they produce prodigiously the whole year; of course I am in a warm climate and my trees are planted in the ground.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Steve, you can always send an in-forum message to a forum member, if they have permitted the contact. I have my forum membership set up to allow GW forum members to contact me privately by email. This is up to each GW forum member, and the default selection in GW is "No Contact". So, you would not be disturbing anyone's privacy who has purposefully edited their profiles to allow for private messages. So, that's the first thing.

Secondly, I, too, missed the fact this fellow was from Turkey (although I did look at his profile, but not closely enough). I did address that he could have been "international", and referred him to the Citrus Grower's Forum, which does have a very large international contingent of members who might be able to assist him better with an ID.

John, this also looks like several other trifoliates, so it's hard to say which one it might be. He would be better served talking to growers in his area for an ID, I would think.

And you can mail seeds, Steve, as long as you're not in a quarantined citrus state that has HLB identified in their state (HLB van be transmitted via seeds). Being quarantined just for the ACP will still allow seeds to cross state lines, as long as they're not coming from an HLB quarantined state.There is a small amount of seeds that are allowed to be mailed internationally, so this is actually okay to do. Scionwood is an entirely different ballgame, so won't go there for purposes of this message thread.

Steve, you don't need to delete your messages. If you want seeds, just ask the guy. That's not a bad thing. I think the original poster was just taken back a bit by your response. I suggested that perhaps the better thing to do, if you want seeds, was to send the poster an off-message thread email (if he has allowed that). Or, simply post to the effect, "Gee, not sure if it's Benton, but if it is, I would be very happy to pay for seeds if you could spare some." Perfectly okay to ask. Not all forum members will comply, but if asked in the right way, some will oblige.

Patty S.