Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Blooms or... ?

Posted by keithdirt z5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 8:20

Hi, here's a picture of a citrus bloom on a tree started from seed (click on link).

From what I can tell this is probably a lemon (comparing to other bloom photos, oranges and grapefruit petals seem more squat) but thought I'd ask around to see other opinions.

I've been starting citrus from seed for decades and giving them away as gifts, but this is the first time one of mine has EVER bloomed. Naturally, I'm amazed and thrilled... and it smells awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Blossoms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Blooms or... ?

Oh, before I forget, I've only ever used lemon, orange or grapefruit seeds....

o

Eureka or Lisbon lemon, perhaps; definitely not Meyer.

o

It is probably either a eureka or a lisbon lemon, especially if the seeds came from a grocery store. Most stores rarely, if ever, have Meyer lemons, and if they do, they are specially labeled. (And MUCH more expensive!)

Here are some recent pictures of my Meyer lemon for comparison. Note the pink underside of flowers. Yours does not appear to have these, and thus is probably a eureka or lisbon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meyer Lemon Pictures

o

the leaves of lemon trees when smashed will strongly smell like lemon. That will help determine if is a lemon.

Mike

o

Thanks for all the replies.... nice to know it's what I thought, not too concerned about variety though. At least IF (and that's a big if) it now fruits, I'll know what to expect!

Mike, As for the leaves smelling like lemon, I have 3 diff. citrus here and all the leaves smell about the same, fairly hard to see much difference there at least for this old nose. :-)

o

were they purplish before they opened up?

o

To be honest, I did not see them until they were already open, I was actually alerted to the fact the tree was blooming by the scent.... It took me a while to find them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here