Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persianmd2orchard

Direct sunlight vs heat importance on ripening

persianmd2orchard
10 years ago

Hi all,

I need to come up with a plan on what to do the next couple weeks to help ripen my containerized sweet limes the best I can.

I know some think it is an insipid fruit, but it's really valued in my culture, especially for it's aromatics. It still has some some 5-6 fruit left on it that started turning color two weeks ago and still need to hang for another a few weeks.

I can place it indoors against a SE window that gets about 2-3 hours of direct sun rays right now in this cold season, and otherwise still has lots of indirect sun all day with indoor temperature of about 73 degrees in the house.

Or I can leave it outside in about 4-5 hours of direct sunrays with plenty of indirect sun all day with highs of 50-65 lows of 35-40 and bringing him inside nights that get cold.

So far I've been leaving him outside to max his sunlight and just bringing in during the especially cold nights. But now I'm thinking what if the constant heat would help ripen more flavorful fruit? I've always wondered on sunlight vs. heat impact on flavor and never figured it out for other fruit, so it's also just curiosity--may be splitting hairs either since neither environment is optimal and both will probably be just OK.

In case it helps, sweet lime ripening doesn't entail losing acidity as it naturally is pretty acidless, just need to up its flavor and sugars these last couple weeks.

PS I'm in zone 7a Virginia right outside DC, and had more sunlight hours during the warm months :).

Comments (2)