Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bushing out this lopsieded, and rather straggly, lemon.

Posted by Ourarka none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 9:36

Hi everyone,

I am in the UK and wanted some advice on how I can bush out this lemon tree of mine. It was bought some years ago and I believe is Eureka. Whilst it hasn't thrived, it is doing ok and throws some fruit out each year. It is out all summer, and has wintered before in an unheated greenhouse. This causes the caterpillars to go crazy so I have covered a brick area with polycarbonate this winter and intend to keep it out unless it turns really cold.

As you can see it is fairly lopsided, and very straggly. It hasn't been helped by recent strong winds knocking some brickword down, which snapped one of the main middle branches.

Just hoping for some advice as the really bushy citrus trees always seem healthier, more stable and hold fruit better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bushing out this lopsieded, and rather straggly, lemon.

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 10:45

Lemon trees naturally have a much more open and straggly form than other citrus species.
You could try cutting back the new growth by about two-thirds and hope this encourages some new shoots on the weaker side. However, in the UK you are unlikely to get any new flush of growth before the spring, and new shoots are always likely to appear close to your pruning cut.
The tree looks a bit underfed. Do you fertise it regularly?
Provide a higher nitrogen fertilser when temperatures are about to warm up again and the light is increasing.

o
RE: Bushing out this lopsieded, and rather straggly, lemon.

I try to feed it well, but it has been so wet recently that I haven't wanted to great the additional water. However, now it has a roof it should dry out more so I can ensure it has its winter feeds.

I am not expecting growth untitled the Spring, but maybe I'll give it a bit more of a ruthless prune and hope it responds accordingly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here