Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

'orange' you glad we have this forum? Small tree pics

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Thank God we have a forum like this...I would of never to have been able to grow trees like this in the north if it hadn't been for this forum..

Thankyou everyone..I only hope I can show my appreciation by helping others..

This tree is only 2 and 1/2 tall...

This tree is fed Dyno-gro Foiliage pro, vinegar, all year long. To get its calcium and Mg needs highly required, it is in a "limed", 5 parts bark, one part peat, one part perlite mix...

Happy growing everyone!

{{gwi:585923}}

{{gwi:640457}}

{{gwi:640458}}

{{gwi:640459}}

{{gwi:640460}}

Mike..:-)

Comments (20)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

I'm very thankful for this Forum, indeed! ;-)
    Howdy, Mike! Thanks for the pics of your tree! I can't quite read the tag....what variety is this?
    Other questions, too:
    1) What size terra cotta pot?
    2) How much vinegar do you use, and how often do you apply it?

So, I went out early this morning to my favorite local nursery, and I nearly had the place to myself! Rainy weather, coupled with the human masses congregating at the Malls, made for a very relaxing Black Friday shop! I perused various conifers for bonsai, checked on the succulents in the greenhouse, and then looked over the citrus - with an eye on Blood Oranges. There are two varieties of Blood Orange in stock: Moro and Sanguinello. I'm leaning toward the Sanguinello.

Any comments on the two?
    Thanks!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey how are you Josh?!!!

I am afraid to take the tag off,lol. I am not sure how else to remember what the name of it is...What is a good idea for labeling plants and throwing the tags off some of my plants away?

Should I remove it....? It has been on it for awhile and I am thinking the tree might grow into it...The trunk is looking smaller over time under it..
    I have a tendency to be lazy and just leave tags on everything, lol.

I feed my citrus 1 bottle capful of vinegar at every watering..

This one is in an 8inch terra cotta pot...All my citrus are in clay...

Ok...I am too lazy to go to my plant room and check the label and I can't remember..Sheesh...
    I will look later and post it soon..Promise..

As for blood orange choice, I am not sure..I never grew one, I think..Too many citrus to remember.Lol

Josh, if you are going to go for a citrus,go for the "Washington Navel" which I have a few of, and or, you have to get this one.."Oro Blanco" Grapefruit!

I never tasted such a sweet, non acidic grapefruit that tastes like a cross between a sweet orange in my life...
    Try one...Huge sweet smelling flowers are a plus...

Mike...:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ps...the label is still on the trunk, but under the soil when I took these pics last week.....Will this harm my tree, plants?
    You got me thinking, maybe worried now..lol

Thanks anyone...

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very NICE Orange tree Mike!! You are doing such a great job with your citrus!! Congrats!!

Mike, I leave my tag on most of my trees...until they start to "strangle" or (tighten) around the trunk. When you see the label is causing some strain on the trunk just remove it, then you can re-locate in a diff.part of the tree with a string if you want.

Josh, I'm a big fan of Navel oranges (not sure which ones are the best)but most are seedless and sweet!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks for the recommendations!

I'll be purchasing a Blood Orange...so if anyone has advice on those varieties, I would be most appreciative.
    Honestly, I don't have room for even one citrus, let alone several. But I'm going to try a select variety next Spring....

I admit, the "navel" mutation on the Navel orange has always creeped me out a bit....like a conjoined twin.... ;)

Josh

• citrusnut
    14 years ago

Wow Mike, that's a really great looking orange. Did you get that one from Four Winds? What kind is it?

My favorite orange is valencia. I bought one that was labeled valencia and when it fruited it turned out to be a navel. So, now I still need to purchase a valencia.

• plant54
    14 years ago

Perhaps one of the finest looking citrus posted on GW in a while.

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

WOW Mike! On my next life I wanna come back as a citrus tree owned by you!!! You sure know how to make them happy. :)

What does vinegar do to oranges? Is it for all citrus? I'll have to try that. I bought a pumello from 4 Winds and it has grown about a third of it's size since.

Thanks for the pics and keep it up!

Sandra

• greenpointmary
    14 years ago

Just gorgeous! And yes, I sure am glad we have this forum, I've learned a lot.

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Great photos Mike! The oranges look delicious!

Ashley

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol sk290...

You wouldn't believe the threats I hurl at it if it doesn't perform....lol
    I use vinegar to keep the soil on the acidic side..It keeps them very green!

Mary and Ash, thanks so much for the kudos..:-)

• dancinglemons
    14 years ago

Beautiful tree meyermike_1micha !! I second the motion about this forum. Were it not for the info posted here my citrus trees would be dead!

DL

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So good to see you again dancinglemons!!! Thankyou. I hope you have been just busy and fine!!:-)

• scaper_austin
    14 years ago

Meyer Mike,
    Quick question when you say you grow trees in a "limed" soil mix does that simply mean you add lome to the potting soil? I feel like I could probably make a better soil for my potted trees and Im interseted in learning your technique. Great looking pictures. My favorite orange for sheer flavor is the Lousiana Sweet. I also like the N-33.

Scape

Thanks,
    Scape

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Scape..

I make my own soiless mix...When I make a soiless mix consisting of peatmoss and pine bark, I use lime to bring the Ph down to a comfortable zone for my trees, while at the same time provide the two vital nutrients that citrus highly require, calcium and Mg.

Most bagged soiless mixes, or soils, have already done that job for you...In fact, there is not a bag I know of like Miracle Grow, that hasn't already added it in....

• keith_p
    14 years ago

Lovely and inspirational pics, Mike. Congrats on such great efforts.

They inspire me to run out to the nursery and get another... Unfortunatly, my excuse that "it followed me home from the nursery...again..." does not work so well as it used to...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks keith...

So nice to see you posting more often...

By the way, my excuse that always works is, no one else is going to take care of them, so why not me? lol

I hope I see pics of yours someday.

Have a great weekend man,

• jerry_d
    14 years ago

Hi Mike, congratulations on your beautiful orange tree. You certainly get results and you're one of the pillars of this citrus forum. I continue to learn a lot from you. Anyway, based on your recommendation, I have order Dyno gro Foliage Pro and will start to use on my citrus. Like you, I also plant my citrus as well as all my other houseplants in terra cotta pots... they work the best for me as I have a tendency to overwater.

Mike, in another thread where you had pictures of your citrus protected in a small homemade greenhouse, there was a lime citrus on a standard and I wondered where you got it. I want to move from bush-shaped plants to small tree-shaped plants, which I think will work better in my small townhouse. Anyway you were going to check where you got that lime tree, but I haven't heard back from you. If you can recall where you ordered that citrus, that would be great.

Also, I contacted Anna, one of the owners of Brite Leaf Nursery in Florida, to find out if the ban on shipping citrus plants out of Florida is ever going to be lifted. She said that hopefully this next spring citrus plants will be allowed to be shipped to customers who live east of the Mississippi River, which includes us. If that happens, I will definitely order from Brite Leaf as their prices seems quite reasonable.

Jerry

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

Mike i wish my citrus looked that good, and i live in Florida!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much...

Jerry,

Soon you'll be a pillar with the rest of us....:-)

Awsome.....That FP is unbeleivable.....I never have to worry about a fertilizer with minors and minerals keeping my plants healthy! Don't forget to feed at every watering in small amount...1/4 teaspoon at every watering, right through winter...

Don't forget to use vinegar....

The tree that you saw was not a small lime, it was a ponderosa lemon...You can train these to grow anyway you like..Tall, small, fat trunked, bushy, and wide..I have a variation of all...They all produce well, and flower several times a year..A perfect companion for small areas!

I ordered all mine from Logees...They are cuttings taken from the mother plant of over I think, 100 years old...So the flowering and fruiting happen at any size cutting from the moment you buy them...I LOVE these plants!

Sour diesel,

I wonder what made you come up with this screen name?..lol
    I like it...I wish I was where you are! Send some sunshine will you...Thankyou..:-)