Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange new growth on blood orange and satsuma trees

Posted by nrwhite81 Louisiana (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 10:02

I planted 2 satsuma trees and 1 blood orange tree this past summer and noticed that the new growth has weird stringy things on the leaves and the leaves themselves are shriveled. I thought it was because I wasn't watering them enough but that isn't it. I cut off all the "weird" leaves a few weeks ago hoping that would help but now it's back again with these weird leaves. Can anyone help? Is it a fungus?
Here's a link to the photo I took.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1059/5157772971_af146e3e0b_o.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange new growth on blood orange and satsuma trees

Looks like leafminers to me... my parents' lemon tree is infested too :(

o

You have citrus leaf miner. They can be controlled with spinosad. The new growth will need to be sprayed each time it flushes out. Bayer also has a very good citrus spray.

o

I was going to post a sympathy response also with my own pics, but it's too depressing. I got hit BAD this Fall, despite my luck with very little damage in prior years. Perhaps it's moving northward in CA even stronger now since the introduction (I live in central CA San Joaquin Valley).

Nearly ALL my young growth on more than half my container trees was damaged like the above picture or worse! I would estimate only about 10% of the young shoots/foliage were spared, and every warm day during the past couple weeks I see a few more bite the dust.

Citrus in this area is (was) generally pest and disease free. hmmpphh..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here