Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie622

Meyer lemon leaf problem

edie622
9 years ago

My meyer lemon tree was moved indoors 3 weeks ago after the summer on my patio. It is by a south facing window. Leaf problems began before I moved it inside. I sprayed weekly with GreenLight fruit tree spray for 4 weeks. Now inside the leaves are yellowing, splotchy and dropping fast. The lemons -about 10 - are still on the tree. Is there anything I can do to save my tree?

I have multiple photos, but cannot get more than one to upload... not so savvy with the process.

This post was edited by edi622 on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 15:50

Comments (12)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

More picks including the whole tree, Close uo of the soil surface, the container if it is in one, the trunk and soil around it if it is in ground. We also need to know how often you water/feed the tree as well as what the feed is including its micros, macros and brand name.

Example of a whole tree picture and question.

Why is my meyer lemon tree looking so ratty tatty with its deformed leaves. See pic.

I would post replies to my own thread with pictures of what I mentioned above.

I KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TREE SO DON'T RESPOND TO MY EXAMPLE

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Picture is sideways.

Josh

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Because it's from an Apple product. Click on it and it's upright.

As for the leaf drop -- The blind must be wide open. Better yet, either removed or pulled all the way to the top of the window frame.

• edie622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more photos

• edie622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the fertilizer I used monthly.

This post was edited by edi622 on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 16:45

• edie622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and the spray I used diluted as directed.

• edie622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo of soil in pot as requested

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Josh
    "Picture is sideways"

No! My tree grows very hard to one side then branches out both up and down. It was a rescue Meyer that had grown totaly to the side. I twisted the root ball sidewase about 30 degrees to take out some of the lean. It responded by sending out growth harder to that side. I put the tree pot on a lean with the short side in the sun to no avail. My other rescue Meyer is doing much better and has balanced out very nicely with the help cloth strips and a center pole to the downward sloped limbs.

jean001a
    Because it's from an Apple product. Click on it and it's upright.

It is a cannon digital camera with the orientation feature turned off so the picture is exactly as I took it and it posts , and emails that way. I use a window 7 computer from the joint product partnership of hp and Microsoft.

I personally would never own an apple electronics produce (I do eat fresh apples). If you research the abuse and life injuries inflicted on 100's Chinese workers to get a product out 2 years ahead of the accepted current technology, many apple users may stop buying them. I made my decision long before for different reasons.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Edi,

It's a Meyer, so it is very sensitive to significant light changes. When you dramatically change the light conditions a Meyer will drop most, if not all its leaves, to replace them later with leaves better suited to the new light conditions. To move a Meyer from outside to inside without the leaf loss, you need to move it from full sun to partial sun for 2 weeks; then to full shade for 2 weeks; then indoors; reverse the process when putting it out in the Spring... and please DO put it out, if you can; you will be rewarded with a happy, healthy plant.
    Second, when you bring it indoors to a sunny window, the plant gets warm; but the roots generally stay cool; and citrus roots don't like to grow into cool soil... the solution is to put some sort of heater to warm the soil, or to put the plant a little further from the window. The thing to remember is first the roots grow; and then the leaves and branches.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Your tree looks like it did well over the summer and is adjusting to winter. The picture of the leaf above looks normal for a leaf that has done it's job and is now dyeing. The container looks of a proper size for the tree. I can't see how well the pot drains, you'll have to guess if it has enough drainage holes.

My Meyer lemon trees are both in 30 gallon containers. the containers have about 400 drainage hole in the bottom and lower sides for aeration purposes. The containers are on a bed of sticks and branches so air freely circulates underneath. I keep the soil warmer than the air during the winter. My soil however gets an F+. It is 50% top soil out of my back yard and 50% home made compost in it's black gold state of at least 5 well aerated year of age. I deal with the weight of my 5 gallon trees by pulling air with a vacuum.cleaner and a suction chamber the tree sits on. My 30 gallon tree are too big so I have planted other plants around the periphery to use up the water before it stagnates. I will use a pump setup to push air into the bottom of the container to insure oxygen supply. see picture For your container size a coffee can should work fine. Citrus trees are not plants. They are family members and need to be treated like sibling for them to grow and develop into adult hood.

Steve

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Thanks for correcting the orientation of the pictures.

Jean, when I click on sideways pics, they do not correct themselves when the new tab opens.

Steve, I was not commenting on your image. I was addressing the image that was posted by the individual who created this Thread.

Josh

• edie622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the postings. This is my first time on the forum, and I hope I will be able to keep my lemon tree in good shape with your advice.