Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fly invasion in South Florida

Posted by hgiljr (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 11:25

Hello all. So there is a huge white fly invasion in south florida, now attacking all fruit and vegetable trees. Originally it was the Ficus trees, now there is a new white fly species that is attacking fruits and vegetable. So how to contol without having to use hard pesticides? I know about some spray treatments to the leaves using a product that contains Bifenthrin and it is a on the spot killer. It works fine for small trees, but larger trees i have not found an organic product. Something that can be a soil drench or injection treatment. Any suggestions or what are you all using to control this insect if you have such outbreak? Thanks again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fly invasion in South Florida

They're up here in Central Florida too.

I nearly lost my entire, newly planted, garden to them.
My solution was Safers soap spray and the yellow sticky traps. Whitefly LOVE yellow.
I was very upset after the 1st day when one of my traps caught an anolis lizard. I cut that part of the trap off and put him in the freezer to euthanize. I know that the killer sprays kill other critters just as well, but the in-my-faceness of this poor guy made me sad.
My tomatoes have all bounced back, peppers not so much and my peach tree seems happy once again.
Now all I gotta do is get the scale off my sago and magnolias...

o

alys, you've brought up the exact reason why I stopped using the yellow sticky traps completely! I was living in coastal SC at the time, and had purchased a large number of them for the big commercial greenhouse I was teaching in. That greenhouse stayed full of the green anoles, but I didn't expect that they would jump up to catch the whitefly on the sticky traps! But they did.

I figured that it was only a matter of time before one of the little tree frogs was also caught.

o

We have them on Mangoes and Avocado trees. It is a huge outbreak... I will see what I do. Really out of control... What is Safers Soap spray?

o

Safer Soap is a commonly used insecticidal soap. There are other manufacturers of insecticidal soap, but Safer is an old and well-known brand.

The smartest thing to do is some comparative shopping. Read the label on the brands carefully, comparing the % of active ingredients. I usually put my money on the product that gives me the most value for the same active ingredient.

Every plant grower should have some insecticidal soap in their arsenal. Though it is a broad spectrum insecticide, it is still considered 'organic', and it is a lesser evil of most of the other chemicals on the market.

It only works if you spray it on the pest. Once dry, it has zero residual effect on anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here