Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darlox

When/How to chill specialty citrus tree for blooming?

darlox
13 years ago

Hi all,

So this is my first winter with some more exotic citrus (yuzu, citron, along with the usual lemon/lime), and also my first winter with a greenhouse. I sort of went a little nuts in filling it, so as a result, my citrus is sharing the space with some plants that require the temp to be kept above about 60 degrees all winter.

Turns out, this may have created a problem with the yuzu in particular, in that everything I've been able to determine (including a separate post here) indicates that it needs a significant number of chill hours annually in order to blossom & fruit.

Presently, the tree is LOVING the greenhouse, in terms of growth. In the last month alone it has put on as much as 6" of new growth from several new shoots (top growth - not suckers or anything else problematic). It likes the GH better than it liked being outside all summer, in fact.

My question: What is the best way to get this tree the chill hours it needs, and when is the best time to do it -- right now, or in the spring? Having never had to do this before, my biggest fear is shocking the tree to an untimely death in the harsh Ohio winter. I don't have any indoor spaces I can realistically move it to, other than un-lit garage spaces.

One local garden center just suggested hauling it out into a semi-sheltered area sometime around April, and hoping that we don't have extended hard-freezes before spring arrives in earnest. That seems a slapdash way of handling this, and the local growers aren't exactly citrus-experts anyhow!

Any advice or tales of similar success would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)