Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clm128

madarin info help

Clm128
10 years ago

hi all
I've been away for awhile (military service) but i got back about 2 weeks ago and came home to a dieing mandarin tree. my girlfriend was caring for my trees while i was away and she said one day it just started dropping leafs. by the time i got home it had lost all its leaves and most of the branches had gone black. i trimmed everything that went black hoping to encourage some new growth as well as flushed the soil with water because my gf had sprayed all the trees with some home made solution (to treat for spider mites) and my thoughts were that she over sprayed and some of her solution may be to strong and killing the roots. (ill mention now that my meyer and all my coffee trees got sprayed as well and are doing fine but this is still the only logical problem i could think of to cause such a drastic change in such a short time to what was a healthy tree)

anyways 2 weeks has passed since i trimmed the tree and the remainder of the trunk has started blackening with no sings of life. at the bottom of the trunk about 2 inches above the soil there is what i think is a graft line but I'm not sure (pictures to follow) just bellow that a new branch has budded . so my question is if you all think this is a graft line and if i should let the root stock grow and what kind of plant i might get from it? would it possibly produce fruit? i know thats some hard questions to answer with limited information but all i can tell you about the tree is it was bought in the spring from home depot. I've been surching for the nursery to try and get more info myself but have had no luck so i realize any advice u would give would be speculation but I'm just looking for general info and advice, possibly what you would do in my situation if you would let the roots grow or call the tree a write off (which i really don't want to do but for space reasons i may have to)

alittle extra info
were in quebec city
the trees are in a east window with about 6 hours sun a day, and 14 hours under a t5 bulb.
its in a cactus mix because i never had a chance to convert it to gritty mix (will in spring if the tree lives)
and i fertilize it every 2 weeks with mg 12-4-8 with micros and mg

i think thats everything :/
thanks in advance
chris

Comments (13)

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the first pic is what i think is the graft line and heres the new bud thats starting just above the soil

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Rub off that bud; you are correct about the bud union; and anything below that is rootstock. Without seeing the whole tree, I could be wrong; but it sounds like your tree is a goner; if you wait a few weeks it could come back.
    I would guess it is not a root problem; because the root is trying to put out new growth.
    You say you flushed the soil; but it still looks like a salt buildup there; are you by any chance watering it with water from a water softener?

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heres the photo of the whole tree, its hard to tell but the branches are all a dark dark brown almost black. they were green at first which is why i cut them back in hope of new growth but they just turn brown as well.

for the water softener i have no idea. would that be something i add or the water treatment plant in my area, or could it be something the building adds before the water comes in? i could do some research and find out, we just moved in here about 2 months ago so it is possible the water could be causing it.

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and i never seen signs of salt build up as far as browning tips on leaves or anything, just that all the leaves dropped and the branches turned dark brown. i wasn't home to witness the leaves before they fell :/ i just assumed something in her solution was causing it so to be sure i flushed it, it was the only thing i could think of to try and revive the plant and more a safety precaution (figured it couldn't hurt to try)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

It looks like you have a bud union failure; and maybe an interstock. Looks like there is a second bud union higher up from the first one you identified. If it were mine I would dump it and start with a new tree.
    As for the water softener, that is almost always something you would install; and you would know you have it, because it needs regular maintenance.

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

alright ill do that then, thanks for the advice.

ill also test the water ph just to be sure . do you think that might have caused the problem?

is that normal to have 2 bud unions? when you say bud union failure what exactly could have happened to cause this if the tree was already thriving?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

2 bud unions means there is a rootstock; and another variety grafted to that (called an interstock); and finally your mandarin grafted to that. It is sometimes done because your variety is not compatible with the rootstock (maybe a dwarfing type); so they have to graft a compatible citrus first and then the end product. It could also mean that they just grafted your mandarin onto an existing tree. Interstocks are often sensitive to failure which could be caused by a virus in one of the three that blocks the flow of water and nutrients. Maybe that is more than you wanted to know; but in the end it is probably the nursery's fault and not the gf. LOL

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha i dont blame her anyways I'm just thankful she waters them for me :P
    but thats good to know now i don't feel so bad about the tree dieing.
    does the risk of that happening lessen as the tree gets older or is it always gonna be a weak spot in the genetics that ill have to worry about? I'm just asking before i go out and get another mandarin tree and have the same thing happen 6 months down the road :P

and if this is a virus is it contagious to my other trees as well? and if its cought early enough is there a way to fight it/ prevent it all together?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I would not buy a tree with an interstock; the three varieties grow at different rates; and although the failure usually occurs while the tree is young, there is always a risk. As for the virus, if it was in one of the three trunk materials, there is no way to prevent it; it is not contagious to the other trees in all likelihood. IMHO you are always better off buying trees from a reputable nursery; and not from Home Depot or the other big box stores. As a grower, I can assure you that those type sellers would never get my premium trees... perhaps some that were lesser quality or hard to sell.
    The other advantage is that a nurseryman can give you advice on what variety and rootstock would be best for your conditions; and also would replace the tree if there was a defect.

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okey that makes sense. thanks a lot for the advice its unfortunate to loose my tree but at least I've learned from the experience. normally your right about buying from big box stores but in this case when i seen the tree and how poorly it was cared for there i attempted a rescue mission, and the tree was doing lovely great until we moved :/
    its to bad. also you can't beat the price at those bigger stores. the nursery that supplied the tree was the same one i seen at the garden centre but the tree at the garden centre was around 95$ vs 30$ at home depot. regardless... lesson learned ;)
    thanks again
    chris

• Clm128
    Original Author
    10 years ago

john would you mind if i emailed you with some questions i had. you got me thinking on the whole water softener topic and ph of my water, its a little off topic from this thread and i didn't want to start a new thread for that in the citrus forum.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

CLM... sure, lots of people email me with questions.

John

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Chris, you can get perfectly good citrus at the big stores, just don't do any rescue missions. I did one last year and the tree promptly died. My fault, I knew it was in bad shape! It's been replaced with a healthy one that's doing great.