Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Hello everyone! My Lemon Meyer tree in my cool room:-)

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I took this picture today. I am so happy it's loaded with blooms and boy does it smell good:-)

{{gwi:111860}}

{{gwi:641176}}

{{gwi:641178}}

Mike:-)

Comments (26)

• joann749
    11 years ago

I love mine too!! It has been outside, I will bring it in when it gets a bit colder. I have 3 lemons on it and more blossoms!

Speaking of bringing it in for the winter, what should I treat it with to get rid of any bugs before I bring it inside? I took this picture when it was in the garage one night.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

My gosh, Mike! It is just covered in blossoms, that room must smell heavenly! Is that a banana behind the Meyer in the last photo??

Patty S.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

very nice, both of yours.

JoAnn, no need to spray if there's no current problems or recent problems.

• krismast
    11 years ago

Wow Mike! That must smell amazing! Mine is doing good, nothing bad to report yet, so ill take that as a good sign :-) I think I see some beginnings of flower buds but I'm not 100% sure yet. I was wondering how cool you keep your room?

Kristopher

• moro_blanco
    11 years ago

Looks great, Mr. Meyermike! I'd be curious to hear about the room temp as well. Do you ever feel the need to filter the sunlight at all because of the lower room temp? JoAnn, that's a charming looking Lemon, also! Thank you both for sharing!

Dave

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see some new names here along with my ole friends and I love it!

JoAnn, those are beautiful and I wonder what they will taste like. Yummy! Thank you for sharing.

Dave and Kris, that is a room in which I keep the heat off and it never drops below 50 and never goes above 60-65 all winter. I keep fans constantly running in there and never let the temps rise above the 60's . In spring when the sun gets hotter, then it does get much warmer in there.

Houston, thank you and I hope you are well.

Hellp Patty! Thank you so much for your kind words as always. It is one plant I never had success with until I re-potted it up into a plastic pot. It does well now.
    That plant is a 'Bird of Paradise'...It has gotten huge!

It does smell heavenly! I have many more in there starting to bloom too. I will take a picture of them all grouped together soon.

Have a great night:-)

Mike

No need to cut light. It is just natural light and sun I use in there.

It is the brightest and sunniest room I have. It faces the south and two windows and a skylight let all the sun in. Remember that living here where the days are very short already, the most sun I can get helps a lot!

• moro_blanco
    11 years ago

Mr. Mike, thanks for the prompt reply! Sound's like we might be like-minded when it come's to wintering our citrus. Glad to know I'm in good company!

Dave

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Same here Dave. I hope to get to know you more. E-mail me anytime.

If you would like my e-mail, just ask:-)

Mike

• moro_blanco
    11 years ago

Likewise, Mike! Talk soon!

Dave

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

looking great mike!!

Check out my new greenhouse I posted in the plumeria forum

Cheers
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse tour

• RI-Mike
    11 years ago

Ok, I'm Jealous!

Mike, that lemon looks great full of blooms. I'm not trying to hijack your thread but seeing as this is about winter lemons I figured I'd post where mine is at. You recomended I swap out my miracle grow cirtus mix for Al's mix, which I did.

I have similar conditions as you, with a south facing window and an unheated room that never goes below 50 in the winter. I've hooked up a 400W Metal Halide grow light that I run for 4 hours from about 4pm to 8pm for some extra light. I've yet to see any buds appear, but I'm guessing it might be recovering from the repot from a few weeks ago.

Are you supplying any additional lighting other than natural light? Not sure if the grow light is overkill, but I'm determined to get a lemon off this thing.

Mike

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Wow, Mike, very nice looking lemon tree. And a correct sized pot for the size of the canopy, I bet you'll get flowers shortly. Let us know!

Patty S.

• arkberry
    11 years ago

I am pretty fortunate. I took mine to the garage for a few nights when it was in the mid 30's and then they went right back outside. Lots of nice blooms popping up and the first fruit from this tree are getting picked tomorrow morning.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Mike, where have you been???? You know I hate it when you disappear! Thank you for stopping by and I did leave a message on your thread. I loved it!

Mike, Mike with that beautiful tree in that black pot and in the GRITTY mix. What a great job you have done and I am fully impressed in you. You have been a good listener and applied all that you have learned. Bravo! You will get flowers if you follow these couple of steps, ok.

I would cut the lights and save electricity! A south facing window with those temps will encourage your tree to rest up a bit, and save you TONS of money on electricity. In fact, you are probably wasting the light with most of the plant that far away from the tree except for the immediate growth right under the light, about 3-6 inches away.

Also, what are you fertilizing with and are you using Foliage Pro?

Mike, great job. It looks very green just as I hoped and full. Very nice and great job.

Arkberry! Congrats to you too. Look at those blooms!

I also find that cooler temps encourage more blossoms on mine. Gotta love citrus, right? Happy growing.

HELLO PATTY:-))

Mike

• SweetLittleLemons
    11 years ago

I'm a total newbie here, and I apologize for just jumping into the middle of your convo, but I want to say thanks. I just started with a Meyer lemon in March. It did great for a while, then it just kind of quit producing anything at all. The three lemons did mature, but no new blossoms. At any rate, I've paid attention to the suggestions and ideas y'all have mentioned, and I appreciate the info! Thanks! :)
    Beautiful pics, by the way!

• RI-Mike
    11 years ago

Mike,

Yes, I've been feeding with Foliage pro at the reccomended doasage of 2tsp per gallon every other week. I do foliar spray every now and then as well. Although green, it does appear to be dropping some yellow tinged leaves here and there.

As far as the lighting, I'll have to disagree on wasting the light. My friend who gave me this setup used it to grow medical dope. I dont have an interest in the dope, but I't is amazing what these guys can do in a controled environment to maximize plants growth. I would not beleive if if I didnt see it, but 6ft tall pot plants grown under these lights was pretty impressive. With the high profit crop, they have money to burn on the best equipment and are real scientists with PH levels, micro nutrients, fertilizers, etc....and it all applies to regular plants so I pick his brain about things every time I see him. The light is intense enough to penetrate the canopy down to the lower levels. It's 400w, and about 40,000 lumens.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow!!! I can only imagine what he grew with that lamp...lol Mike

It looked like the very same one I use to use that didn't do the job you describe that one as doing. I hope it continues to do well for your tree. Let me borrow one of them for my succulents, will you?

Keep up with the feeding regimen. I am just wondering if your tree might need a rest such as mine do?
    Maybe it will throw off a ton of flowers for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Have you though about cutting back on Nitrogen? I have had to do that too.

Hope you are having a great day today.

Sweet, you are very welcome. This is a great place with a bunch of great people.

Mike:-)

• krismast
    11 years ago

Meyermike, what is your feeding regimen during the winter months? I have my meyer in a cool sunroom that I have the thermostat set to 65. As much as I call it a 'sunroom' there isn't that much sun. We have a lot of evergreens and conifers outside so there isn't much direct sun coming through the windows. I have a 600w MH light on for about 3 hours a day and the plants seem to like it so far.

Kristopher

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Fantastic show, Mike!

As you know, I have a lemon developing as well, but I'm going to let it color a little more.
    I've been bringing my Citrus in on cold nights, and back out again during the sunny days when
    the temps get over 50F. My variegated Pink Lemon is putting out little purple buds now, too.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Josh! I have not been not feeling too good these days. We should chat soon:-)

Thank you for your kinds words as with everyone else's ;-)

It's so good to hear your citrus are doing ok after that dreadful accident! I am so happy they are budding for you:-)

Kristopher, I answered your question on my other thread. I hope it helps.
    Thank you:-)

Josh, I guess you could say" this thread still lives" :-)

MIke

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I thought I posted here but I guess not. Anyhow, I wanted to say that your Meyer looks great! It reminds me of the Meyer I bought last spring. The tree doesn't have as many flower buds right now but it is loaded up with fruits of all sizes.

I really have to agree that the cooler growing areas indoors seem to really work better for my citrus too! I just wish I had more light that came in from that window. For some reason, the Meyer seems to have adjusted to the light and is growing nicely but the other citrus don't seem to be as happy in that window.

Thanks for the pictures!

Andrew

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Andrew, your welcome and it's great to see yours are doing ok too.

I keep wondering about that tall Lemon Meyer tree you bought yes, TWO years ago. How is that one doing these days?

Now, hopefully you will be back soon, since I barely see you return again on the same thread:-(

Wishing you well buddy!

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,
    LOL..I actually did tell you that I lost that tree, that was why I bought the smaller one. I actually couldn't get my hands on a large Meyer like that again but that's ok. Instead I bought my 'Star Ruby' grapefruit and I love it!

I do try to come over here now and then, but I have to say that the plumeria forum is still my fav. Now, the plumeria are dormant and I can come here a little more, plus my citrus really are the stars of my indoor tropicals collection right now.

Andrew

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike! We'll chat soon ;-)
    Survived the last two storms....the biggest of the three is hurtling toward us right now....

Josh

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Oh!! Be safe Josh! And your plants!
    What storms? I haven't caught much news lately.

Mike!
    Glad to hear your feeling better! How could you not when surrounded by such beautiful citrus. ;-)

JoJo

• lizzy2013
    11 years ago

Can anyone share some seeds with me? I'm in a tight budget and the plants are quite expensive. Please?